Default Aftermarket Park Distance Control

Hey guys,

Just wanted to hear people thoughts. This isnt for my 4x4, but could apply. We just brought a Honda Accord (very lekka sedan, so far) but one of the bells and whistles it didnt come with is PDC.

My wife is driving the car and wants PDC. Has anyone tried DIY with a kit? Do they actually work (consistently beep louder as you approach an obstacle).

I am pretty comfortable with the electronics side (just hook power into reverse light), mount under backboard next to speakers etc.

This is the cheapie that I saw:

https://www.takealot.com/park-distan...r/PLID45153389

Thoughts/Alternatives?

TIA

Default Re: Aftermarket Park Distance Control

Hi, installed one without display on lwb Pajero about 5 years ago works fine , had to replace beeper after a year or two , of course be sure of sensor positions before drilling.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to leoridge For This Useful Post:

Will a reverse camera not work out easier in the long run? Depending on the vehicle the camera can be very easy to install to the rearview mirror. Not cheaper... but not too much more...
    Last edited by MarcR; 2018/09/11 at 11:37 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Will a reverse camera not work out easier in the long run? Depending on the vehicle the camera can be very easy to install to the rearview mirror. Not cheaper... but not too much more...
    I will investigate this - my idea with the PDC was that I didnt need to run any cables to the front of the car (just being lazy!).

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    I second that. In terms of safety (and personally having almost reversed over my todler son many moons ago ) I reckon reverse cameras should be legislated standard equipment on every car sold. If your wife's car has a display in the front it may have a input slot for a video feed. Some cameras also work to a cellphone or tablet via Bluetooth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to boomslang76 For This Useful Post:

Had a basic one fitted to my Isuzu many moons ago. Worked like a charm. Just be careful of the really cheap Chinese s...tuff!
    Got it from these guys: http://pfk.co.za/autowatch-vss
    Because sometimes life happens!

I have installed a PDC on my Hilux. Worked well enough !!

I have also installed aftermarket reverse camera .... it works good - in the correct lighting ! Either too dark, or into the sun and it does not help much. Most new cameras point down, to help with the lighting ...

Speak to your local fitment centre and see what is campatible with your car .... Fitting an aftermarket camera to a Jetta is easy and affordable, and works with the fully integrated system.

No single correct answer. Your vehicle may well guide you towards the best solution for you ....

Just an update for anyone interested.

I went with the cheapie PDC from Takealot for +-R250 and installed it myself. Kit comes with a holesaw for the bumper. I did not even have to remove the bumper. Took me less than 2 hours to install, all told.

Has been working for a few months with no complaints from SWAMBO, she is very happy with it since the Honda Accord is much bigger than her previous car.

I think next vehicle I do this for, I will try the reverse camera option!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin4x4 For This Useful Post:

I have bought the combination, but now have to get it professionally installed not to affect the warranty on the Ranger.
    https://www.autostyle.co.za/rearview...ce-screen.html
    Danie Gerryts

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab
    Gypsey 5
    Jurgens Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by kevin4x4 View Post
    Just an update for anyone interested.

I went with the cheapie PDC from Takealot for +-R250 and installed it myself. Kit comes with a holesaw for the bumper. I did not even have to remove the bumper. Took me less than 2 hours to install, all told.

Has been working for a few months with no complaints from SWAMBO, she is very happy with it since the Honda Accord is much bigger than her previous car.

I think next vehicle I do this for, I will try the reverse camera option!
    Sorry to revive an old thread. Kevin4x4, is the system still working well? Im thinking of installing one of these in my car but the cheap price is a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartf View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread. Kevin4x4, is the system still working well? Im thinking of installing one of these in my car but the cheap price is a concern.
    Hi Stuartf

i had this installed in my previous car it worked awesome 95% of the time i only had one issue and that was when the car stood in the sun for long the speaker would sound muffled but it sorts itself out and the lights never failed on me in the 1.5 years i had it

was quite easy to install but hiding all the wires can be a bit of a pain and as stated before in this thread just be careful with the positioning of the sensors

hope this helps
    Last edited by AndreX; 2021/05/31 at 04:21 PM.

This one is in the number plate holder, no need to cut bumpers.

Can even use camera if need be.

https://www.takealot.com/car-license...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

Still working well for us !

I actually installed one of those Takealot PDC / Reverse cameras in my 4x4 about 2 years ago (just check dimensions to your numberplate mount point and numberplate itself). Also working great! Much more of a mission wiring wise because you need to get the video signal wire all the way to the head unit. The PDC is limited though since it is only two quite central sensors hence the two outsides of the car are not covered - especially on my 4x4. Nonetheless, great for reversing up to a wall/curb etc.
    I never mounted the light indicator (telling you which side it is picking up an obstruction) because that looks quite cheap - and am used to just the beep indication.

In terms of the cheapness - BMW/couple European brands got a MASSIVE fine for colluding and pushing up the prices of extras like PDC in the early 2000's. The technology/sensors are really basic and easy to manufacturer, OEM is a rip off.

The sensors on our Accord I have left black so it doesnt match the bumper but apparently you can get special paint to get it to match if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreX View Post
    Hi Stuartf

i had this installed in my previous car it worked awesome 95% of the time i only had one issue and that was when the car stood in the sun for long the speaker would sound muffled but it sorts itself out and the lights never failed on me in the 1.5 years i had it

was quite easy to install but hiding all the wires can be a bit of a pain and as stated before in this thread just be careful with the positioning of the sensors

hope this helps
    Thanks for the feedback Andre. I have quite a bit of experience with installing sound systems so hiding the wires should be easy enough. Making the holes does scare me a bit. I have read stories of guys drilling the holes right where the bumper mounting is and obviously the sensor wont fit then. Could be a very expensive mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by staalwol View Post
    This one is in the number plate holder, no need to cut bumpers.

Can even use camera if need be.

https://www.takealot.com/car-license...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Thanks, Not sure if that includes the the controller, speaker etc. Seems like it might just be the Numberplate holder with sensors and camera. My Head unit does have the capability to run a camera with a firmware update so may consider something like this

Quote Originally Posted by kevin4x4 View Post
    Still working well for us !

I actually installed one of those Takealot PDC / Reverse cameras in my 4x4 about 2 years ago (just check dimensions to your numberplate mount point and numberplate itself). Also working great! Much more of a mission wiring wise because you need to get the video signal wire all the way to the head unit. The PDC is limited though since it is only two quite central sensors hence the two outsides of the car are not covered - especially on my 4x4. Nonetheless, great for reversing up to a wall/curb etc.
    I never mounted the light indicator (telling you which side it is picking up an obstruction) because that looks quite cheap - and am used to just the beep indication.

In terms of the cheapness - BMW/couple European brands got a MASSIVE fine for colluding and pushing up the prices of extras like PDC in the early 2000's. The technology/sensors are really basic and easy to manufacturer, OEM is a rip off.

The sensors on our Accord I have left black so it doesnt match the bumper but apparently you can get special paint to get it to match if you want.
    Thanks for the feedback. Its great to hear the unit lasts. I also dont like the look of the light indicator thing. Is the speaker mounted in the control box or the light display? Thought it was in the display so you have to mount it or did you just hide it away somewhere?

On my kit, the speaker was a separate little buzzer speaker not on the controller or light unit. Just installed it behind the back seats, loud enough to hear.

The kit I got included the correct size drill bit. I double checked for clearance behind the bumper in-situ as there was clearance on our Accord but if you are concerned, I would just remove the bumper and double check before drilling.