Did YOU buy your VW based on fuel economy??? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Did YOU buy your VW based on fuel economy???

This thread's heading is a misnomer, so let us just stick with the content of the post, not the heading.

Once they get the coal fired power stations, jet planes, vulcanic eruptions and gas producing cows in Brittain's pollution threat under control I will join the anti pollution band wagon. Having anti pollution measures in place whilst these pollutants producers are reigning freely is like farting against thunder.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Did YOU buy your VW based on fuel economy???

So they LIED!!!! Whats new? That Sony Camcorder you bought back in the 90's, remember the one with the 8 hour battery life, yes the one that lasted about 30 minutes when you were filming! They lied to you! Like the battery life, which under strict lab conditions and with everything else turned off, works, so do vehicle emission and consumption figures!
    Remember the scene on TG, where Clarkson drove an M3 versus a Prius, and in a given situation, the M3 is lighter on gas then the Prius?
    Advertisers LIE, politicians LIE, boyfriends LIE!
    Smile and wave!
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Deciding factors

Economy? Yes.
    Emissions? No.
    I saw this picture and couldn't resist!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vw.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	502144

The only thing my 2006 Polo 1.9tdi can do your 4x4s can't do is fuel consumption. Here are my figures for 2018 sofar (90% highway @110km/h average):
    4.9 l/100km
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It is no use worrying about something you cannot control. I can control fuel consumption by the way I drive. I cannot control fuel quality, content or how they tune the engine.

The only car that I have ever owned that consistently bettered the manufacturers fuel claim was a 2000 BMW 320d. I averaged 5.3l/100km over 210,000km and they claimed 5.6l/100km combined cycle. Most of my use was open road. I seem to consistently 10-15% over the manufacturers claims with a Land cruiser V8 and VW Tiguan (petrol).

Interesting at CAR Magazine routinely add 30% to manufacturers claims for 'everyday use'. I think it is accurate for petrol but not for turbo diesels around town.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2