So what all do you do when you get there?

Default So what all do you do when you get there?

Hi guys.
    The time is getting close to where me and my butler have to pull the trigger on an overlanding vehicle and make a call on RTT, TTT or Caravan (Or combination).
    We find the info on here very valuable and have spent a lot of time reading up on here, but one aspect seem to not feature much and that is what all do you guys do when you get to these of the beaten track places?
    We are very active people and love anything sporty and find it real hard to sit still for too long.
    We do Scuba, Photography, etc. But we are curious to hear what else you lot get upto and what all is out there to see and do when you do these overlanding trips to those secluded gems our there in the wild.
    We see many places with Ziplines, Snorkling, Hiking, abseiling, fly fishing, whitewater rafting, etc. but do not read much about any of you really doing any of those during an overlanding trip which got us wondering..
    Are the best places just places to go an rest and see game with veryu little else on the menu than that, or are there many adventure activities around but not many people actually do those? (Barring 4x4'ing obviously)
    Or do you have to actually plan the trip in such a way that you pass some adventure spots along the way?

I hope i am making sense.

Default Re: So what all do you do when you get there?

For me camping is escaping the big city to relax. Game drives, hikes, some fishing and 4x4trails.

We scuba dive as well and boat so these are 'special' trips. I have done the camping and diving thing but it is quite a hassle with fear and transport etc. Prefer dedicated trips for this.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

It depends obviously where you go.

Cannot go for a walk or jog in Moremi for example.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

The real question you have to ask yourself is whether you are a camper or an overlander. We are the latter so staying in one place for more than 2 nights is the exception rather than the rule and it's used as a catchup day for cleaning, washing, repacking, recharging, replenishing, planning etc. This decision has a huge impact in the type of vehicle you choose and the way you kit it out. We have a Toyota Fortuner with all the rear seats removed ( kids are out the house) kitted with a RTT and no trailer. We pride ourselves on having a time of less than 50min from wheels down to braai fires lit. We take the minimum and the rule is keep it simple I have designed a roll out rack that takes a fridge and 8 ammo boxes, what you can't fit in terms of cutllery, groceries, clothing, tools etc into 8 ammo boxes stays behind. The Tuna has a towbar but this is reserved for the Mountain Bike rack for where we are able to tour the local surrounds on bikes. Of course we stop for longer than 2 days next to the coast, river or dam but thats because we have things to do. We also pick out reserves and campsites that allow for hiking and interesting local tours. So make that decision first you wont regret it, because everything else becomes clearer in terms of equipment choices from then on.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

That is exactly our plan River Rat.
    We want to see as much as possible and do as many things as we can before our candles eventually blow out, or we are too old to do all the things life has to offer.
    We will definitely do the overlanding thing like you describe.

I am also more interested in overlanding that camping. No way I could park my ass for 2 days on a chair and sit. My vehicle is sorted that I can stop, unload the firewood and start the fire. Take out chairs, table and open the drawers in the back of the Prado, for kitchen stuff. Sorted. Probably takes longer getting the ladder attached for the RTT than setting up anything else. I want to be able to move in no time. 10 min flat
    Fiddler

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Some sage advice above. We are game fans and even time spent "sitting at the waterhole" is active time for us. We had a few years with the RTT and then went to a trailer for various reasons.

We find that camping takes time to do things, even planning for and taking that shower, when there are no ablutions, takes time. Over landing can take many forms, how rustic do you want it ? For some it is going from one chalet to another. For us slogging through deep sand at 20kmh and 5-6 hours to the next camp 70kms away is great fun and leaves little time for adventures.

Early mornings tend to lead to early nights and bush time is like no other time.

Like any other chapter in life, there is a learning curve .... take it easy, let it happen.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

We are all different. Apart from the fact that our personalities, likes and dislikes differ is there also health, energy, dietry and preferred pastimes issues. We have been caravaning since 1970. However, our most interesting trips were when we left the caravan at home or somewhere on route, and ventured into the more rustic environment with our tent. Swambo simply loves reading - reads a book a day, and I have camera, fly fishing, bass and carp equipment. These days we mostly use our gravel road caravan. Fact of the matter is, one changes your camping/outdoor preferences as you get older. There was a time when I was out on my mountain bike every morning before six whilst camping. These days my philosophy is "I have very little to do, and the whole day in which to do it, so why rush it?"
    Last edited by Poen; 2018/09/10 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

With what we do i need a normal tent.

We plonk it down and make comfy. Then every day we drive, the area in which we camp, all small little tracks and roads where it appears to be legal to go, gravel, not tar. Sometimes you might have to reverse quite a bit. We have ended up in very interesting places and roads, if you can call it that. This way we explore the area we camp in well. And you can decide how far or long you travel. We leave in the morning, whenever it suits us, and just try and be back by nightfall, in time to light the fire. Have a picnic somewhere where it seems good. If the area is boring, move on.

We recently did the east coast, very enjoyable, we were planning to stay in a different spot every day or second day but ended staying in one spot and drove around every day, for just over a week.

Open a beer and inform the special lady to set up camp
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Most people that camp and overland like sitting around.

That might sound harsh, but it is true. They'll drive for 2 days to get somewhere and then sit around and look at trees and birds and stuff.
    Then they'll drive another 2 days to another spot and do the same.

I don't get it either.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Thanx for all the feedback.
    We will sometimes just chill at a spot and take in the surroundings too.
    Some people love that and i completely understand. My old man is like that. Its his thing and it's all good.
    It does seem like the best thing is to plan the trip in such a way that we look for activities along the route on our way to our destination/s and back.
    It makes planning the vehicle and trailer/caravan (if needed) carefully vital.
    The benefit of the trailer/caravan is that the vehicle is fully mobile if we need to pop over to another place to go do something. We can leave the camp behind. If we have a RTT and we are based somewhere, and want to go to a Zipline place 30km away as an example, we have to almost pack up camp, go there, do the Zipline, drive back and re-setup the tent.

Or does anyone have some innovative way around this?

We are those who will spend at least 3 -4 days in a spot and just chill. Or we focus on an area or park and set up for a week or more, maybe moving camp once in a large park like CKGR.

We enjoy game drives early morning and late afternoon, during the day there is always something to be done around camp; otherwise we read, do some birding, take photos or just sit and soak up that what is around us. I can sit and stare at a river or a pan or dunes for hours on end without getting bored.

Last December's trip to Namibia was a bit different, obviously one needs to drive quite a bit. But I planned it to have one driving day, then 2 -3 days in an area, like Twyfelfontein, to see the sights.

Our daily lives are just too full and busy and spend rushing from A to B, I want to do the exact opposite when on holiday. Maybe one day we when we don't have the time constraints of school holidays or such hectic work and school lives, we will travel different.

For short weekend camps we are a bit more active and always choose campsites with biking and walking trails.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

You gotta love diversity for some it's the journey for others it's the destination. Dare I say it? The difference between overlanding and camping is that for the former it's about the car and the other it's about the kit! Either way as a wise man once told me "Jy moet hou van sukkel"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FDB View Post
    Thanx for all the feedback.
    We will sometimes just chill at a spot and take in the surroundings too.
    Some people love that and i completely understand. My old man is like that. Its his thing and it's all good.
    It does seem like the best thing is to plan the trip in such a way that we look for activities along the route on our way to our destination/s and back.
    It makes planning the vehicle and trailer/caravan (if needed) carefully vital.
    The benefit of the trailer/caravan is that the vehicle is fully mobile if we need to pop over to another place to go do something. We can leave the camp behind. If we have a RTT and we are based somewhere, and want to go to a Zipline place 30km away as an example, we have to almost pack up camp, go there, do the Zipline, drive back and re-setup the tent.

Or does anyone have some innovative way around this?
    We got around this problem by detaching the RTT extension and leaving it on the ground still pegged in similiarly with the awning. Thanks to our roll out draw system everything else is in the car in any case and believe me you don't want to leave important stuff behind unprotected and a tent does not present any protection from predators orbaboons. It literally takes us 15 minutes to do this and drop the RTT.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Sometimes just watching others put up camp is entertainment enough. Especially when you are our age and you start recalling having gone through the same stage. Remember when....? Poen makes a good couple of observations.