DC-DC Charger Comparison

Default DC-DC Charger Comparison

So I am in the market for a DC-DC charger and put the following together. Most of the info is straight from the manufactures website or spec sheet. A couple years ago we had very limited choice but things have changed. I think this should be the lot that are available in ZA but if I am missing one please let me know. I am inclined to go for the National Luna but havent made a decision yet. Items in Red are assumed or not 100% confirmed.

Links to manuals:
    WRND WDB1220B www.4x4direct.co.za/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=3
    Intervolt DCC Pro http://www.intervolt.com/wp-content/...DCC-Manual.pdf
    National Luna NLDC-25 https://www.nationalluna.com/wp-cont...ser-Manual.pdf
    HCDP DCDC20A R02 https://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/in...&product_id=68
    Ctek D250SA https://www.ctek.com/storage/ma/36b0...nual-UK-EN.pdf
    Redarc BCDC1225 https://www.redarc.com.au/in-vehicle...-regulator-25a
    Projecta Idc25 https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ion_Manual.pdf
    Ring DCCharge30 https://www.ringautomotive.com/files...structions.pdf

Notes: National Luna does not charge primary from solar.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by martinlp; 2018/09/20 at 10:01 PM. Reason: updated table, added links

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to martinlp For This Useful Post:

Maybe you can add the max solar Input voltage for each charger also?

Quote Originally Posted by martinlp View Post
    if I am missing one please let me know.
    I bought the projecta 25A in May, so far very happy with it: (thereís also a 45A model available)

https://www.projecta.com.au/dual-battery-charger-idc25
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2018/09/09 at 08:33 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Default Re: DC-DC Charger Comparison

You can add the Projecta IDC 25 (Australian) and the RING DC30 (UK) to your list as well. I personally prefer the Projecta 25a, they do a 45A unit as well. Both have MPPT controller included.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Wheeler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Maybe you can add the max solar Input voltage for each charger also?

I bought the projecta 25A in May, so far very happy with it: (thereís also a 45A model available)

https://www.projecta.com.au/dual-battery-charger-idc25
    I did add the range for solar input, which includes min/max volts.

I wanted to limit the selection to locally available units.. did you import or buy locally? if the later can you send me a link so I can get price.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wheeler View Post
    You can add the Projecta IDC 25 (Australian) and the RING DC30 (UK) to your list as well. I personally prefer the Projecta 25a, they do a 45A unit as well. Both have MPPT controller included.
    Did you buy RingDC30 locally? can you give me price or send me link where to buy?
    Thanks

Nevermind.. I see 4x4Megaworld stock them.
    Last edited by martinlp; 2018/09/09 at 08:48 PM.

I did add the range for solar input, which includes min/max volts.

I wanted to limit the selection to locally available units.. did you import or buy locally? if the later can you send me a link so I can get price.
    My apologies, my eyes totally missed the max input volts part.

I bought my Projecta 25A from LA Sport in Port Elizabeth, it was R4650 in May. They are now available at 4x4 megaworld for R4484.

I would buy the Ring RSDC30 if I had the choice again, didnít know of them in May
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2018/09/09 at 11:12 PM.

The WRND does not charge the primary battery from solar.

It has an optional wire that connects to the vehicle's "accessory" power feed, which forces it to switch on. Not sure if that is what you mean by "ignition override"?

The owner's manual leaflet contains a great deal more info than the website, I'll see if it has a more technical description of the charging modes.

Other features that you may want to list that I have become aware of along my journey...

The HDCP 20A unit can have your load connected to it, and when the alternator is running it will power the load directly from the alternator, allowing the full 20A to be used for charging the aux battery.

The Ctek can charge the aux battery from solar and alternator at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
    The WRND does not charge the primary battery from solar.

It has an optional wire that connects to the vehicle's "accessory" power feed, which forces it to switch on. Not sure if that is what you mean by "ignition override"?

The owner's manual leaflet contains a great deal more info than the website, I'll see if it has a more technical description of the charging modes.
    Cool will update and repost image.
    To be honest the "ignition override" is a bit of a mystery to me as well. It appears that it is not always called the same thing. I believe it has to do with being able to support some of the newer "smart" alternators that adjust voltage more intelligently.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
    Other features that you may want to list that I have become aware of along my journey...

The HDCP 20A unit can have your load connected to it, and when the alternator is running it will power the load directly from the alternator, allowing the full 20A to be used for charging the aux battery.

The Ctek can charge the aux battery from solar and alternator at the same time.
    Thanks useful information. The issue I had was that not all the suppliers make these niche features notable. I think it might just be the last row where we can put "niche features" in and write the various points.

To be honest the "ignition override" is a bit of a mystery to me as well. It appears that it is not always called the same thing. I believe it has to do with being able to support some of the newer "smart" alternators that adjust voltage more intelligently.
    From what I understand... the WRND (and others) have a safety cut-off... so the primary battery doesn't get drained... The override basically opens the circuit so the unit charges whenever the ignition is turned on... so the safety voltage check is bypassed
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    From what I understand... the WRND (and others) have a safety cut-off... so the primary battery doesn't get drained... The override basically opens the circuit so the unit charges whenever the ignition is turned on... so the safety voltage check is bypassed
    To close the loop (excuse the pun) from the smart alternator perspective... When a smart alternator is in use and drops the voltage (for what ever reason) to below where the DC-DC chargers threshold for the alternator is, the DC-DC charger may open the circuit, as though the engine is not running. With this override, this voltage threshold is ignored and the dc-dc runs regardless of the voltage from the alternator?

To close the loop (excuse the pun) from the smart alternator perspective... When a smart alternator is in use and drops the voltage (for what ever reason) to below where the DC-DC chargers threshold for the alternator is, the DC-DC charger may open the circuit, as though the engine is not running. With this override, this voltage threshold is ignored and the dc-dc runs regardless of the voltage from the alternator?
    That's my (limited) understanding...
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion