Bushlapa Boskriek Solar Panel Upgrade

Default Bushlapa Boskriek Solar Panel Upgrade

I have decided to upgrade the solar and electronics in my newly acquired 2017 Boskriek.

So I have decided on :

1) CTEK D250SA DC-DC charger, there is none at present, to be connected from front BH to battery. This includes a solar regulator which I will use for an external panel, an additional BH connection to be placed on the left side for this purpose.

2) Victron 75/15 MPPT Bluetooth solar regulator to replace the simple 10 Amp regulator installed at present.

3) 300w solar panel to replace the current 140w solar panel.

It is WRT to 3) that I have some queries.

The existing panel is fixed to the Boskriek roof via two brackets, one at each end. To install the larger panel the front bracket has to be moved forward, and new holes have to be drilled into the roof of the Boskriek.

These bolts presumably have nuts inside the ceiling of the roof panel, so the ceiling has to be removed, and replaced again afterwards.

Of course the old holes need to be effectively sealed in a cosmetically attractive way.

Has anyone done this, and can give some tips on how to do this ? Removing/replacing the ceiling on the inside of the Boskriek is the most scary part of the exercise.

These are the bolts that I am referring to :

Name:  IMG_20180907_213135.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  166.4 KB
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Default Re: Bushlapa Boskriek Solar Panel Upgrade

Although this may sound like a stupid question it may be something to check. The d250sa can take a 300w panel but what is the max voltage? The max open voltage on a panel that size may be around 40V. If the max V that the unit is safe is less it may be a case of needing 2x 150W panels for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    Although this may sound like a stupid question it may be something to check. The d250sa can take a 300w panel but what is the max voltage? The max open voltage on a panel that size may be around 40V. If the max V that the unit is safe is less it may be a case of needing 2x 150W panels for your application.
    Yes, you are right, the D250SA is max 25 volts, but the intention is to use it only with an external panel of the appropriate voltage.

The Victron 75/15 is 75volts, and this will be used with the 300w panel, which is much higher voltage.

I'm also thinking of connecting the Fridge to the load on the Victron 75/15, that gives you control over the fridge from your phone.
    Last edited by Jola; 2018/09/08 at 08:19 AM.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    I have decided to upgrade the solar and electronics in my newly acquired 2017 Boskriek.

So I have decided on :

1) CTEK D250SA DC-DC charger, there is none at present, to be connected from front BH to battery. This includes a solar regulator which I will use for an external panel, an additional BH connection to be placed on the left side for this purpose.

2) Victron 75/15 MPPT Bluetooth solar regulator to replace the simple 10 Amp regulator installed at present.

3) 300w solar panel to replace the current 140w solar panel.

It is WRT to 3) that I have some queries.

The existing panel is fixed to the Boskriek roof via two brackets, one at each end. To install the larger panel the front bracket has to be moved forward, and new holes have to be drilled into the roof of the Boskriek.

These bolts presumably have nuts inside the ceiling of the roof panel, so the ceiling has to be removed, and replaced again afterwards.

Of course the old holes need to be effectively sealed in a cosmetically attractive way.

Has anyone done this, and can give some tips on how to do this ? Removing/replacing the ceiling on the inside of the Boskriek is the most scary part of the exercise.

These are the bolts that I am referring to :

Name:  IMG_20180907_213135.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  166.4 KB
    Jola the bolts you referring to do not have nuts on the inside. It is rivnuts they use.

Saying this, you do not have to remove the ceiling. Can drill the hole from the outside and install the rivnuts (need special tool) and then bolt down the bracket to it. The old holes you can close off by just screw in a bolt with a weatherproof/silicone washer. I think this will be the easiest. To take out the ceiling maybe not the easiest of task to do.
    Good luck and o by the way - congrats with your new van! You will enjoy it.
    Uys Snyders

Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

Quote Originally Posted by Uys Snyders View Post
    Jola the bolts you referring to do not have nuts on the inside. It is rivnuts they use.

Saying this, you do not have to remove the ceiling. Can drill the hole from the outside and install the rivnuts (need special tool) and then bolt down the bracket to it. The old holes you can close off by just screw in a bolt with a weatherproof/silicone washer. I think this will be the easiest. To take out the ceiling maybe not the easiest of task to do.
    Good luck and o by the way - congrats with your new van! You will enjoy it.
    Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed to know.

You wouldn't have any idea of the size of the nuts ?
    Last edited by Jola; 2018/09/08 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed to know.

You wouldn't have any idea of the size of the nuts ?
    Pleasure. If I remember correctly it is a 6mm bolt used. Think the rivnut outer size is 8mm. Best is to take out one of the existing bolts and measure it and get the correct rivnut for it.
    Uys Snyders

Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237