Double solar charging of batteries

Default Double solar charging of batteries

OK here is a question relating to "double solar" charging of batteries actually not sure what the technical term will be and less so of the effect should this be implemented. This will be for instances when the Companion is stationary (at acamp site) and I am battling to get the batteries fully charged.

I have two tow vehicle (one my real bush wagon and a second more comfortable) that tow a Companion with to go camping. My complete setup is a bit deurmekaar I must confess. So I will also include a discription of my vehicles, so the situation is as follows:

First tow vehicle

• My 1st tow vehicle I think is sorted, an aux battery - Enertec Premium 105Ah deep cycle battery run through a seperate fused line to a NL solenoid. This is to supply a 40l Minus 40 fridge freezer.
    • This set-up has been used for 2 years and I have never had flat battery or neither a cut off the NL due to low Voltage.
    • I also have a seperate fused line to a Brad Harrison plug close the tow hitch for when towing.

My second tow vehicle

• My 2nd tow vehicle (Nogal a Defender - lucky me) has a aux battery in the under seat compartment which is managed through a PMP (Plan-My-Power) controller. The cranking battery is a Omnia 55Ah and the aux battery is an Omnia 75Ah.
    • I then have a 2nd aux Discoverer 105Ah battery in a NL box - the solenoid is disconnected so as not to interfere with the PMP controller.
    • The PMP charges all three batteries with the 2nd aux battery being disconnectable. This is so that I can charge the battery seperately and directly through my solar system.
    • My solar system consists of a OutBack MPPT solar controller and a 180W Sasui SP (48V panel) with the output set at 12,8 to 14,3V and up to 14A this varies depending on the condition of the battery.
    • The PMP also has a Brad Harison to which the PMP controller can be connected.
    • This vehicle has a semi permanent NL 90l double door fridge/freezer installed which can be connected to either the PMP or to the NL battery box (solenoid inactive).
    • I also have a seperate fused line
      from the crank battery
      to a Brad Harrison plug close the tow hitch for when towing.

Companion set-up

• I have a HCDP (MK5) system installed which includes - 220V Charger, plus 220V circuit with plugs), DC-DC, Solar, geyser (Hansen), 12V circuit but has no inverter.
    • 2XDeltec 105 batteries.
    • The fridge is a NL 90l double door (yep I have two as I don't want to suffer in the heat. - I must have icecream, prawns and other goodies in the CKGR- year round.
    • The solar system consists of 2X80W SP that plug into a well positioned Brad Harison plug on the side of the Companion linked to the HCDP.

Now this is my question:
    When camping for a long period the power consumption exceeds my input and I run into trouble from day 5/6 when the sun does not play ball.

• Can I couple a Brad Harison directly to one of the trailers batteries and connect my OutBack to give that extra charge whilst the 2x80W panels are connected to the HCDP. This is what I mean when refering to double solar charging (please help with the correct term?), maybe simultaneous ccharging?

I would appreciate any inputs.
    Last edited by TRON; 2018/09/07 at 05:30 PM.

Default Re: Double solar charging of batteries

I see no problem doing it. But if your Mk5 panel can handle more input just add more panels
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) @ 800 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    I see no problem doing it. But if your Mk5 panel can handle more input just add more panels
    Thanx Dungbeetle the MK5 can handle one more 80W panel that will be 260W in total but the maximum usable output will surely be less than this when one considers the efficiency of SPís. I was hoping that the addition of the 180W SP and OutBack controller would result in more available amperes for charging.

But, my concern is that if I did do a simultaneous charge with the OutBack controller (180w SP) then the batteries would send ďfalseĒ info/feedback, on their state (when the OutBack is connected) through to the MK5 and thus affect the MK5ís output/charging rate.

I guess if this is the case then Iíll have no option but to add a 3rd 80W panel, or;

The other option that can be considered is to install an isolator switch between the batteries so that I can (during sunlight hours) charge the one battery through the MK5 and the other through the OutBack system,

Your comments and further inputs will be appreciated.

Quote:
    Now this is my question:
    When camping for a long period the power consumption exceeds my input and I run into trouble from day 5/6 when the sun does not play ball.
    Unquote

IMHO, AFAIK

Sonder om te veel na die detail te kyk het ek dalk 'n makliker/goedkoop voorstel wat nie ekstra geld behoort te kos nie.

Jy kan nie weet sonder om te meet nie

1 Ek sien jy gebruik "105 Deltec" batterye. As dit die "high cycle" tipe is is jy op die regte pad. Hulle laai heelwat vinniger as die "deep cycle" tipes

2 Jy behoort te kan sien hoeveel jy gebruik teenoor hoeveel jy laai. Dit gee 'n besliste gemoedsrus en dan weet jy waarheen.

My plan (en my opset) as volg

- Installeer 'n multimeter (soos op foto1) wat jou verbruik en batterytoestand deurgaans meet. Zero die meter net na laaste son wanneer jy die sonpanele ontkoppel. Die meter begin dan registreer vanaf nul en presies 24h later kan jy sien wat jou verbruik was in kWh.
    - Gebruik dan 'n soortgelyke meter identies aan foto 1 (ek het 'n soortgelyke een foto 2) tussen jou paneel beheer en die batterye. Hy begin registreer wanneer die panele in die oggend eerste son vang. Op die tyd wat jy die 24h lesing neem vergelyk die twee meters se kWh-lesings. Die invoer behoort meer as die gebruik te wees of dan ten minste dieselfde. So weet jy jou panele doen hul job. Jy kan dan ook besluit of jy Írens moet spaar soos jou yskas snags af te draai of wat ookal sou jy meer gebruik as wat jy oplaai.
    - As 'n agterdeur kan jy dan jou motor nŠ sononder aan die wa konnekteer nŠ die panele ontkoppel is en vir sowat 'n halfuur laat luier om die batterye 'n verdere stoot te gee. Dalk langer, dalk korter. Weer met die meter (foto 2) gekoppel.

Dit gee gemoedsrus en help jou met beplanning

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foto 1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	501457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foto 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	486.6 KB 
ID:	501458  
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Dankie, Ja hulle is high cycle. Waar het jy die meters gekry?

Daai meter kan jy be 4x4Direct koop.

Ek sou se daai 2 x 105Ah Deltec battery is te lig in die broek vir 2 x 90L fridges.
    Ek dink jy kan 2 x 120Ah AGM batterye insit. Dit is dieselfde groote, maar baie meer AH om meet te speel.
    Dan sal ek ook die solar PV vergroot. Maklikste sal wees om nog 2 x 80W solar panele by te sit.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    Daai meter kan jy be 4x4Direct koop.

Ek sou se daai 2 x 105Ah Deltec battery is te lig in die broek vir 2 x 90L fridges.
    Ek dink jy kan 2 x 120Ah AGM batterye insit. Dit is dieselfde groote, maar baie meer AH om meet te speel.
    Dan sal ek ook die solar PV vergroot. Maklikste sal wees om nog 2 x 80W solar panele by te sit.
    Thanx Wetkit, just to explain the 2X105ís are in the Companion which has only one NL 90l.

The 2nd 90l NL is in the Defender and runs of a.separate battery system charged through a PMP management setup.

My plan is to sort out the Companion system so that I can charge via the HCDP solar system and when cloudy (ie when the Companionís battery are battling) connect the OutBack SP system at the same time to give the batteries a boost. Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by TRON; 2018/09/09 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Thanx Paul, Iíve got it.