Whats happening at Land Rover?





Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 90
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    40
    Posts
    49
    Thanked: 26

    Default Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Just came across this:

    https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indus...urvey-16915937

    Poor reliability on their new vehicles!!! I thought at least that the evoque and disco sport would be good as they are essentially "upgraded" FL2's.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,159
    Thanked: 2771

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    From the article:

    The smaller Range Rover Evoque was fourth least reliable, scoring 73 percent. Almost half of owners (45 percent) reported a mechanical fault over the past year. A faulty exhaust was the biggest issue.
    Yeah right!

    I would not read much in those ratings.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

    2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    40
    Posts
    49
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    18000 car owners polled about their cars reliability. That's a big number and Land Rover didn't do so well. Why wouldn't you read too much into the ratings? It certainly makes me think twice about buying Land Rover again, especially when put together with a thread on this forum about Disco 3 problems.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,084
    Thanked: 438

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Quote Originally Posted by RJay View Post
    18000 car owners polled about their cars reliability. That's a big number and Land Rover didn't do so well. Why wouldn't you read too much into the ratings? It certainly makes me think twice about buying Land Rover again, especially when put together with a thread on this forum about Disco 3 problems.
    If I had to go one whats written on the internet.. this very forum for e.g and decide which car to buy.. I would end up walking.
    We could go round and round about LR problems, same complaining, and those without problems never voicing their opinions
    Some car, some bike and two legs

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hcs For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rangeview Krugersdorp
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,131
    Thanked: 1023

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    If you need spares, the BDF in Botswana now has 500 of them doing nothing or they can't do anything. Bought from UK for 161 million Pula
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !



    Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Age
    57
    Posts
    467
    Thanked: 20

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Five Land Rovers 2 Freelanders 3 Defenders only two minor breakdowns one idle pulley bearing fixed on the roadside small hole in fuel return pipe fixed on the roadside not bad reliability over 15yrs I'd say, would I buy a Discovery 3, 4 or 5 no! Would I buy a Toyota definitely not two reported stolen in our area this week so far and contrary to the myth I have seen quite a few broken down, fallen over or on flatbed going somewhere believe it or not.
    Last edited by hbannink; 2018/09/11 at 01:14 AM.


    1997 Land Rover DEFENDER 90 2.8i
    BFG AT's - Frontrunner Roofrack - Foxwing 270 Awning- Garmin 52LM-IPad T4A - CTEK 250S Dual battery system - OZ-TENT RV2 and Howling Moon1,4m Rooftop Tent - Cover Worx Visor covers - Melville & Moon seat covers Tuffstuff insurance....
    1997 Defender 90 2.8i
    2004 Defender 110 TD5 (sold)
    1999 Defender 90 TD5 (sold)
    2007 Freelander 2 (sold)
    2006 BMW E90 320D (sold)
    2005 POLO 1.9 TDI Swambo

  8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DFNDR-ZN For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    George
    Posts
    2,772
    Thanked: 1027

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcs View Post
    If I had to go one whats written on the internet.. this very forum for e.g and decide which car to buy.. I would end up walking.
    We could go round and round about LR problems, same complaining, and those without problems never voicing their opinions
    I don't know about that, I've found the general sentiment you'll find about a vehicle on the internet and forums to be very accurate.

    Some LR especially modern ones definitely seem to be prone to being both costly and sometimes unreliable, not that all of them are but nevertheless it's clear they are otherwise such amazing vehicles that people will put up with the nonsense if it does happen.

    Win some you lose some but modern LR's are not for the faint hearted or skinflint.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/09/06 at 06:42 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    752
    Thanked: 194

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Im going to disagree with that survey.

    The Disco sport, had alot of rattles, but had recalls for most of them. And I can only think of one that had major work. Excluding these new Ingenuim engines.

    The Range Rover and Range Rover Sport's really don't come into the workshop for anything more than a service, brakes(a lot of these) or squeeking suspension. The most common repair on them (which isn't all that common, maybe 1 or 2 cars a month) is the rear diff pinion seal that leaks.

    Then the Evoques. Excluding the Ingenuim engine again. The 2.2's has hardly any trouble at all. The 2.0 petrol has the tendency to crack the twin scroll exhaust manifold causing some pieces to lodge in the Turbo. Which of course means a new turbo. Also the Variable valve timing pulley sometimes looses some of its bolts that hold it together, causing a rattling timing chain on startup. Very rarely serious engine damage. And the door latches like packing up on these.

    In my Personal opinion all of these that I mentioned is more reliable than a Diesel Disco 4.
    2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 (Will allways end up with an V8)
    1967 Land Rover Series 2A 3.5 V8 (The Green Machine)
    196? Land Rover Series 2 V8 100" (The Coiler)
    2007 Subaru Forester XT 2.5T (The Daily)

    Ex.
    1996 Land Rover Discovery 1 Tdi
    1997 Land Rover Discovery 1 V8
    2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 V8
    2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
    2007 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to JeandreDiedericks For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    972
    Thanked: 560

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    In the last 6 months my:

    Tdi 300 Defender blew a top gasket (536 00km on the clock)...
    Td5 Disco manual burnt a hole in its piston (441 000km on the clock)....
    Td5 Defender's gearbox went to the big scrap-yard in the sky (336 000km on the clock)....
    Td5 Disco auto turbo's seals went pop yesterday (165 000km on the clock)....

    A turbo giving up the ghost at only 165 000km DAMN - LAND ROVERS ARE SO FRIGGIN' UNRELIABLE!!!!!
    Last edited by EttiennedK; 2018/09/06 at 09:26 PM.
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,128
    Thanked: 1006

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Quote Originally Posted by RJay View Post
    Just came across this:

    https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indus...urvey-16915937

    Poor reliability on their new vehicles!!! I thought at least that the evoque and disco sport would be good as they are essentially "upgraded" FL2's.
    If you have ever been inside a new Land Rover you might understand it.

    With millions of small led bulbs all over the place and one single bulb not working, in that survey it will count as “breakdown”.

    Those “surveys” are rubish.

    Most of the breakdowns was non-engine related electrical problems....i.e The screen in the car does not show album art for Pink Floyd or my Incontrol App will not deploy my seat 6 and 7 from my phone or bluetooth loses connection after a call etc, etc...
    Last edited by Regard; 2018/09/06 at 10:19 PM.

  16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Regard For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    40
    Posts
    49
    Thanked: 26

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    I wouldn't completely agree that those surveys are rubbish. If I'm paying a million bucks for a car, everything better be working perfectly, even the Bluetooth. Incidentally, it mentions that for one vehicle, it was non electrical components that was the problem. I think it provides useful info for prospective buyers about how frustrating certain brands can be. I understand that some people are lucky and never have any problems with their vehicle, especially when they are well looked after, but these are newish vehicles mentioned in the survey. So either the survey authors are lying/mistaken, or the 18000 car owners are lying/mistaken. The survey was across different brands and wasn't specific to land rover, so it looks like more customers are not very happy with their land rover purchases when compared to other brands like suzuki.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RJay For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,850
    Thanked: 712

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Is this survey even an issue to anyone who doesn't care to own a Land Rover?

    If yes, then you shouldn't by a Land Rover, move on;

    If no, then why care. Go drive a [insert alternative vehicle name here].
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

    hcs

  21. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,128
    Thanked: 1006

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Quote Originally Posted by RJay View Post
    I wouldn't completely agree that those surveys are rubbish. If I'm paying a million bucks for a car, everything better be working perfectly, even the Bluetooth. Incidentally, it mentions that for one vehicle, it was non electrical components that was the problem. I think it provides useful info for prospective buyers about how frustrating certain brands can be. I understand that some people are lucky and never have any problems with their vehicle, especially when they are well looked after, but these are newish vehicles mentioned in the survey. So either the survey authors are lying/mistaken, or the 18000 car owners are lying/mistaken. The survey was across different brands and wasn't specific to land rover, so it looks like more customers are not very happy with their land rover purchases when compared to other brands like suzuki.
    I agree

    But, the amount of small little niggles that can cause a hick-up in a Hilux is MUUUUUCH less than the amount of small niggles in a Range Rover

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Regard For This Useful Post:


  23. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,547
    Thanked: 430

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Quote Originally Posted by EttiennedK View Post
    In the last 6 months my:

    Tdi 300 Defender blew a top gasket (536 00km on the clock)...
    Td5 Disco manual burnt a hole in its piston (441 000km on the clock)....
    Td5 Defender's gearbox went to the big scrap-yard in the sky (336 000km on the clock)....
    Td5 Disco auto turbo's seals went pop yesterday (165 000km on the clock)....

    A turbo giving up the ghost at only 165 000km DAMN - LAND ROVERS ARE SO FRIGGIN' UNRELIABLE!!!!!
    Yes, specially the 300Tdi that blew gasket at 53600km (just joking)
    '89 LR 110 V8

  24. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,084
    Thanked: 438

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Yes, specially the 300Tdi that blew gasket at 53600km (just joking)
    Yes thats horrible. He should send a complaint to LR and demand they fix it in goodwill
    Some car, some bike and two legs

  25. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,749
    Thanked: 831

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    I think as with Toyota theft stats, some degree of normalisation needs to be done.

    You cannot compare a tata tecoline, with a range rover. I think the JLR guys have probably pushed vehicle infotainment and other electrical subsystems further than most (BMW/mercedes/Audi). Not really sure, but i think you need to compare vehicles with a similar number of ECUs.

    A typical high end vehicle these days will have north of 100ECUs, while aforementioned tata may have 1 wire to the fuel solenoid. I am not defending landrover for a second, but I do think some more objective methodology needs to be employed in reporting this sort of data.
    Last edited by stephenplumb; 2018/09/07 at 05:14 PM.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:


  27. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,921
    Thanked: 3459

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    You cannot compare a tata tecoline, with a range rover. I think the JLR guys have probably pushed vehicle infotainment and other electrical subsystems further than most (BMW/mercedes/Audi). Not really sure, but i think you need to compare vehicles with a similar number of ECUs.

    A typical high end vehicle these days will have north of 100ECUs, while aforementioned tata may have 1 wire to the fuel solenoid. I am not defending landrover for a second, but I do think some more objective methodology needs to be employed in reporting this sort of data.
    Precisely why I wouldnt touch one younger than 2001 and even then, the models prior to this could be just as unreliable with the problems being more mechanical than electrical.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

    2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

    Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

  28. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    716
    Thanked: 302

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    This reminded me of a fellow Landy (Defender) nut and a conversation he once had with a hater.

    The haters' appliance had 60 000 km on the clock and was so reliable it was just incredible. The poor Landy lover constantly had niggles ....... but his answer was to come back and talk about reliability again at 450 000 km, which is what his one had done!

    If they want to do a survey about reliability, it should be done 10 years down the line, at least. 20 years perhaps, by which time most of the flashy young plastic upstarts will have been recycled and the old reliables just neatly run in.

  29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:


  30. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Port elizabeth
    Age
    44
    Posts
    18
    Thanked: 36

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    Many of us always dreamt of owning a landy , I did for as long as I can remember I wanted one . Then I bought one a defender tdi prob one of the more reliable land rovers out there and all I can remember is instead of spending every weekend out in the wilderness I spent most weekends under the bonnet . Oh boy I thought it must be a 4x4 thing and they all broke , all the time . Side shafts falling out , head gaskets blowing , turbos spewing oil , universal joints , gear box issues , diff problems , wheel bearings , canít actually remember all the problems I had . Now I drive a jimny not even a flat tyre yet. So go buy your Land Rover dream and I will carry on laughing historically ever time I drive past you with the bonnet up next to the road , at least you now create another kind of joy in my life .

  31. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malawi
    Posts
    933
    Thanked: 903

    Default Re: Whats happening at Land Rover?

    LR scores very low in many customers satisfaction surveys, from a variety of countries. I posted some time ago links to reliability/breakdowns surveys carried out in US and Europe, where LR were constantly at the bottom

    Then a number of people come up with their own personal experience, where they post about having owned owned many trouble free landies. And the friend of their brother in law who drives defenders from Cape Town to Nairobi for fun every week and after X hundred thousand km it's still unopened and not so much as an interior light failed . And this is where things normally go south.

    The issue is a simple misunderstanding of surveys and statistics.

    Example: I have had many happy long stays in SA where I had no single security issue.

    Would it then be correct to say that SA is a crime free country?

    Cheers
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2018/09/11 at 07:10 AM.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •