Off-road caravans, what am I missing here... - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Off-road caravans, what am I missing here...

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Bos View Post
    The closest to what you want would be either the Conqueror Companion or Commander. They are the market leaders in SA and won 'shoot outs' with other brands and was also nominated 4x4 caravan of the year a few times now, go rent one for a week and decide yourself.
    That is seriously misleading info....define market leaders in numbers, show these shootout articles please, there is no 4x4 caravan on the market, many many conqueror owners have changed to BL. Are there any BL owners who have changed to Conqueror? None I know of or have read about,

There are a lot of options out there, difficult choices.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2016 VW Amarok 4motion DC(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Boskriek 567, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha 70hp 4st.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    That is seriously misleading info....define market leaders in numbers, show these shootout articles please, there is no 4x4 caravan on the market, many many conqueror owners have changed to BL. Are there any BL owners who have changed to Conqueror? None I know of or have read about,

Also never compared the smaller brands to the big names.

I know of BL and Conqueror owners that have changed to our trailers. Personal choice I assume.
    Wian de Villiers
    LeBusha Trailers
    www.lebushatrailers.com

Hyades, as my wife (Kremetart) said, you will not get what you want all in one.
    What we did, Roadque made an axle same as our vehicle (width and rim size) I made the van same width as tow vehicle, because I dont like side tow mirrors in the bush. Length was 3 200mm - double bed lengthwise, space to stand to change clothes and space for clothes.
    We got a fridge inside, sliding kitchen unit, sliding deep freeze and fold out kitchen with table. 220v/12v system with 2 x batteries and packing space under the bed. Roof lift on one side.
    We took it to the weigh bridge fully loaded with clothes etc, and she only weighed in at 940 kg, and that only at 30% cost of something similar on the market.
    Our trips included Kgalagadi, the 4x4 rout to Mabuaseabi, Moremi and Etoshia, with not one problem.
    I would suggest, if you are handy, build one to your needs.

Hyades, have a look at a Summit Everest.
    Phil
    '10 Hilux D-4D AT - Land Cruiser Lite
    '14 Amarok 2.0 BiTdi 4M AT
    Summit Everest

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Bos View Post
    The closest to what you want would be either the Conqueror Companion or Commander. They are the market leaders in SA and won 'shoot outs' with other brands and was also nominated 4x4 caravan of the year a few times now, go rent one for a week and decide yourself.
    Funny posts belong in the Pub section please.
    Some 4x4 with an offroad caravan

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

We changed to an off road caravan, Afrispoor Buffel, and just love it! David, of Afrispoor, is amazing at modifying his models to just what you want.
    http://afrispoor.co.za/afrispoor-products/
    Meryl
    Toyota Fortuner
    Afrispoor Buffel

Default Off-road caravans, what am I missing here...

I just canít get over the fact that if I had to buy a new offroad trailer/caravan that it would be considerably more expensive than any house I have ever bought.

Cars are stupidly expensive in this country but offroad trailers and caravans even more so.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2018/09/11 at 08:17 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport
    Previous - 1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale), 2006 2.8 Colt Clubcab

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SimonB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    I just can’t get over the fact that if I had to buy a new offroad trailer/caravan that it would be considerably more expensive than any house I have ever bought.

Cars are stupidly expensive in this country but offroad trailers and caravans even more so.
    The silver lining is than if you buy right, your van will not depreciate but actually increase in value slightly. I experienced this twice. Once with my Commander after 4 years of ownership and once with my 1st Bush Lapa after just 2 years of ownership. Still by no means and financial investment but for me, an investment in my sanity...
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2018/09/12 at 09:05 AM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post

It was voted by the Caravan and Outdoor life as the winner. I know of a few BL owners that sold theirs due to various reasons.
    Somewhere in my Land Rover
    Honda Africa Twin
    Honda XR400

Anybody that needs to make a decision like this needs to gather information and actually test the information gathered.
    After you have short list of 3 or 4 possibilities rather go and rent each one for 3-5 days and go camping in all types of weather.

We had the same worries in the '70s and made some decisions that was OK for the times then and our situation - young one born in '81.
    End 2000 the daughter left home and we reverted back to a tent from a caravan, 2010 the decision was made no more tent and mid 2011 we bought an Echo 4 that served us well (44 000km).

The age factor started creeping in (including my younger days wild life) and the ladder/tent option became a bit of an issue at night.
    Looked at Echo, Afrispoor, Jurgens and one or two other manufactures.
    Ended up with Afrispoor, BL and Echo in that sequence.
    Checked each one out carefully and for some reason unknown the BL-Kewer ended on top.

In 2017 we bought a BL-Kewer, for us it was the best option (Serval came second and the Echo was right on its heels).
    Did quite a few "upgrades" to the Kewer in the last 6 months, possibility of a few more cropping up.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Originally Posted by SimonB
    I just canít get over the fact that if I had to buy a new offroad trailer/caravan that it would be considerably more expensive than any house I have ever bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    The silver lining is than if you buy right, your van will not depreciate but actually increase in value slightly. I experienced this twice. Once with my Commander after 4 years of ownership and once with my 1st Bush Lapa after just 2 years of ownership. Still by no means and financial investment but for me, an investment in my sanity...
    Have to agree with Michael on this one!

The issue is that house prices went up very much in the last 5 years - specially in what people in our age group are looking for.
    The value of decent trailers/caravans has increased considerable - second hand and new.
    So pick the right one.

We sold the Echo 4 for the same monies we put into it - clean break.
    Only lost out on the two new batteries that was due for replacement any way as I was not willing to sell it with shot batteries.

Looking at second hand BLs - if you can find one - the current prices are same or higher than 2-3 years ago.
    Same applies for the Serval an Cheeta.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

Have you looked at the Wildebeest caravans
    https://www.wildebeestoffroad.co.za/

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm not a fan of the trailers with the roof-top tents on them. Sure they work very well, but I'm not keen on climbing up and down ladders 3am in the morning. Also, where do you get dressed when you only have a tent on top, and not all the awnings attached. Just my opinion, but I don't think this will work for us.

Now when it comes to caravans things start to get a little more comfortable. But again, for me it is over the top. I want something with a proper double bed, proper mattress, not foam, some packing space for clothes, and on the other end of the van perhaps place to sit with a table that can be pulled out if needs be, for the times you don't want to sit outside. Kitchen should be on the outside, as with the conventional vans/trailers. All can slide out from underneath the bed. I don't need toilets and showers attached to the van. In my mind, what I am describing above will be a tiny caravan, and should not weigh a lot.

Is there something this simple on the market that I'm clearly missing, or will I have to build my own?
    you can go two ways a camper trailer either the wind up ones which has 2 double beds at each end but make sure they got the heavy duty springs for off road and the other be a pull over trailer with a camper with all the mods and cons pulling out the kitchen and that no climbing in any
    just got the links to show the vans , first one is the awning https://www.outdoria.com.au/a/carava...0aAsaxEALw_wcB

second one is a trailer https://www.ebay.com.au/i/113233906190?chn=ps with everything you want at just under 8 grand

Or build one yourself. At a fraction of the cost.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5