More Battery and Electrics Advice Please

Default More Battery and Electrics Advice Please

I bought my Hilux with a high cycle Deltec 102AH battery. It probably had about 1.5 to 2 years of service when I bought it. I managed to get another 3 years out of it before it could not hold a charge. I realised it was going when I was on my way out of town on a 2 week trip and needed to get a battery on the way out of town, so in desperation I walked into Makro, made a few phone calls and walked out with a Probe 105AH battery. Two years later and the Probe is pretty much dead. So now on the lookout for something new.

Current Setup:
    Battery is connected to Hilux via a basic solenoid (connects to system as soon as the car is started no delay), and also have a dual battery monitor. Battery sits in the engine bay with 25mm cables going to the load bin where the fridges etc are plugged in. When we are stationary, I have two 100W solar panels connected via a 75/15 Victron MPPT charger, which also sits in the load bin. Most of the battery goes to powering two fridges… we used to have one but the wife convinced me a cooler box as the fridge was not good enough so we have one fridge as fridge set to -1 and the other as freezer at -10. We occasionally charge a torch or cell phone.

So I was determined to get a lead crystal, but after reading that they are not great in the engine bay due to heat I am reluctant. I also am concerned about charging them with the standard Hilux alternator as I don’t have a DC-DC charger. I am reluctant to go deep cycle due to my understanding that they take longer to charge and can not take a charge that quickly, especially when they are discharged more than 50%. We typically camp in the same spot for 2-3 days but sometimes only 1 night. I really only put the solar panels out if we going to camp for more than a day.

So here are my options the way I see it:

• Buy another high cycle Deltec and see if I can get 5 years out of it.
    • Try out a deep cycle and see how it performs in my scenario, not sure what else I would need to change. Is a deep cycle happy in the engine bay?
    • Splash out for a lead crystal and either leave it in the engine bay (gamble), move it to the load bin, or try insulate it from heat some how in the engine bay?

Here are other things I can try:

• Sell both fridges and buy a single +-80lt fridge and set to -2 or so.
    • Upgrade to a DC-DC charger if I opt for lead crystal or is this a good idea for deep cycle aswell?
    • Change my solenoid from a basic switch to the more intelligent National Luna which waits before connecting the secondary battery. I list this as an option because when the Probe battery was busy dying, it seemed as though the crank battery could never charge properly, and would struggle to start in the mornings.

So as you can see, depending on what I choose to do, I could be in for a significant investment. I would hate to make a silly decision here, so would value any input.
    Thanks for any input.
    m

Default Re: More Battery and Electrics Advice Please

If I were you I would do two things - put each fridge on its own battery or get one bigger fridge, and get a dc-dc regulator. Battery choice is dependant on finances, as long as you keep a lead crystal out of the engine bay. You cannot successfully isolate a battery from heat under a bonnet.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Martinlp,I'm also in the same process that you are in and if I read through all the info of the clever people an AGM battery is both cheaper and more reliable then Lead crystal "as I understand it"
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lofty For This Useful Post:

Martin

I was running the same setup in my Fortuner for 10 years. The last battery I had in there was a Ritar. I transferred that battery into my Hilux in the beginning of this year - now with a DC2Dc charger in the Hilux. the battery did 5 years in the Fortuner and is still going strong.

Uys
    Overkill - isn't!

2 fridges on a single high cycle will be hard work for that battery. At a reasonable cost I would go with the NL solenoid and 2 x 105 ah. Linking them in parallel will give you one big battery as such and the NL will separate it from the crank battery. Your problem now being, where do I put the third battery.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Martin

I was running the same setup in my Fortuner for 10 years. The last battery I had in there was a Ritar. I transferred that battery into my Hilux in the beginning of this year - now with a DC2Dc charger in the Hilux. the battery did 5 years in the Fortuner and is still going strong.

Uys
    Thanks Uys, so the Ritar was a deep cycle?

Is it ok to keep a deep cycle in the engine bay?

Many people will say No and others will say they have done it for years. A deep cycle will need 14.4 V and a high cycle like the Deltec can get by on 13.8 so you may need to keep this in mind. High cycles can manage on the NL solenoid, deep cycles will do much better on DC_DC
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post: