Default Re: DIY Bakkie 'camper' project

Truly a cool setup, indeed well though thru and designed
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

Indrukwekkende werk! Bloody profesional!
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Have you weighed it?

If I have to make quick guess looking at the set-up it would probably be about 4 tons.. loaded and topped up.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2019/12/05 at 08:43 AM.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Really impressive, hat's off to you sir.
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    MR.TOLBOS ,dankie vir deel ,,jou setup is baie prakties

jou BH plug op jou canopy, wat maak jy met dit ,het jy 'n lig binne jou rtt wat jy krag voorsien ,ek wil dieselfde doen ,maar wil ook so 'n klein fan daarop laat hardloop .
    Jammer ek antwoord nou eers, ons was nou so paar dae in Tankwa Karoo sonder selfoon sein.

Dankie Alberto, ek is bly as die thread vir mense idees kan gee.
    Daar is twee blou BH proppe op die canopy (aanvanklik was dit grys BH proppe in my eerste post) wat ek gebruik wanneer ons in die skaduwee kamp. Dan sit ek my sonpaneel (wat los is) in die son en prop sy kabel by die naaste blou prop in. Vandaar af gaan dit na die mppt toe.

Daar is ook 'n grys BH prop op die kant van die tent. Dit verskaf krag aan die oopmaak meganisme van die tent, LED liggie en 'n 12V/USB prop binne in die tent.

Jy kan die BH prop verseker gebruik om 'n liggie en waaiertjie te laat loop.

Jou setup is regtig indrukwekkend! Jyt aan alles gedink!

I likey!!! Welgedaan!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Have you weighed it?

If I have to make quick guess looking at the set-up it would probably be about 4 tons.. loaded and topped up.
    Yes throw out all the extra weight you are using far too much fuel with that 4 ton monstrosity

On a serious note fantastic build, one can see you are not an amateur when it comes to fabrication and when it comes to camping experience....you can write a book. One seriously well thought out practical camper.

PS If it uses too much fuel I am sure you will be able to fit a second tank and uprate the suspension
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Jammer ek antwoord nou eers, ons was nou so paar dae in Tankwa Karoo sonder selfoon sein.

Dankie Alberto, ek is bly as die thread vir mense idees kan gee.
    Daar is twee blou BH proppe op die canopy (aanvanklik was dit grys BH proppe in my eerste post) wat ek gebruik wanneer ons in die skaduwee kamp. Dan sit ek my sonpaneel (wat los is) in die son en prop sy kabel by die naaste blou prop in. Vandaar af gaan dit na die mppt toe.

Daar is ook 'n grys BH prop op die kant van die tent. Dit verskaf krag aan die oopmaak meganisme van die tent, LED liggie en 'n 12V/USB prop binne in die tent.

Jy kan die BH prop verseker gebruik om 'n liggie en waaiertjie te laat loop.

dankie ,hoop jy het die tankwa geniet ,ons is nou oppad namibie toe ,het toe so gemaak soos jy genoem het ,en dit werk goed ,een led en usb port ,nou gaan my klein waaiers werk in die hitte van die aand .

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

The electrical box is a work of art. What are those two things next to the BH plug?

A wonderful project MrT, now if you get bored you can turn all your ideas into building a trailer with similar inputs. Really a fabulous job and thanks for sharing. A lot of these ideas will eventually turn up in other members projects. Well Done.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Have you weighed it?
    No I haven’t weighed it yet, still on my eventually to do list, but it’s definitely not more than 3 tons 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Yes throw out all the extra weight you are using far too much fuel with that 4 ton monstrosity

On a serious note fantastic build, one can see you are not an amateur when it comes to fabrication and when it comes to camping experience....you can write a book. One seriously well thought out practical camper.

PS If it uses too much fuel I am sure you will be able to fit a second tank and uprate the suspension
    The second tank was the very first mod I did The bakkie has done 17,000 km now with a total average of 8.9km/L, which I think isn’t too bad if you consider how much off-road work it has done.
    I first tested the standard OEM suspension with the bakkie’s 4week maiden voyage to Botswana. It was okay, but I opted for a set of OME suspension afterwards and now it’s really a nice combination.

Default DIY Bakkie 'camper' project

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    The electrical box is a work of art. What are those two things next to the BH plug?
    Thanks Woolf Those are two male ‘DC plugs’. You’ll find that standard size on most camping equipment. We use it mostly for additional LED lights, especially the ’fishing rod light’:

Name:  IMG_2936.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  180.3 KB

https://ledtronix.co.za/index.php/te...yABEgKz-fD_BwE

Or

https://www.4x4andmore.co.za/product...SABEgKFz_D_BwE

Or

https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...-rod-light-40w

Or

https://www.makro.co.za/sports-outdo...SABEgLRYfD_BwE
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2019/12/28 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    A wonderful project MrT, now if you get bored you can turn all your ideas into building a trailer with similar inputs. Really a fabulous job and thanks for sharing. A lot of these ideas will eventually turn up in other members projects. Well Done.
    Thanks Mike. Oh man I would love to build my own trailer! So many ideas but so little time...

We did a two week trip through Tankwa Karoo and Cederberge in the last two weeks. What an amazing area of our beautiful country!! The bakkie and all the additional installed equipment worked flawlessly and it made camping such a breeze, even when most days were 38’C! 🥵 I’m very happy with the victron equipment that had the batteries fully charged by latest 12:00 (only using solar) and the two fridges that kept the meat frozen and the beers icy cold at those temperatures. The bakkie behaved extremely well on all those bad tankwa roads and over the Old Post Route 4x4 route. Very happy camper!

Those DC plugs are an excellent idea. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Thanks Mike. Oh man I would love to build my own trailer! So many ideas but so little time...
    Jy is nog jonk Raak besig
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    ..... Really a fabulous job and thanks for sharing. A lot of these ideas will eventually turn up in other members projects. Well Done.
    Nes jy daar se, ek's een van hulle !! Ek het vir Mr Tolbos n paar fotos gestuur van sy idees in n ander ou se " camper" Hy is welkom om dit te post as hy wil, el het nog n paar beperkinge in daai afdeling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3