Battery life

Thread: Battery life

Default Battery life

After a cold winter here in Sutherland the battery in my Terios is again kaput. It is a small 35a/h battery (616). I considered fitting a higher output battery, but due to limited space decided against it. My question is the following: how can I extend the battery life? We use the car once or twice a month to drive the 32km into town. Maybe a longer trip to Worcester or Cape Town twice a year. What will be the better option:

- Disconnect the battery and only reconnect when needed.
    - Start the car at least once a week and let it idle for a few minutes.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Martin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Swifty For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Battery life

Permanently connect it to an intelligent trickle charger. Benson or similar. Midas or Autozone will have some examples.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Hi Martin.

My advice would be to get a good "smart" battery charger and to fully charge your battery once a week.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Udu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Permanently connect it to an intelligent trickle charger. Benson or similar. Midas or Autozone will have some examples.
    that, and use a solar panel on that trickle charger :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to boanergesza1 For This Useful Post:

Agree with Jelo, I do that for my Patrol which is a Safari vehicle only, so does not get used often, I do it on the starting and dual battery system (3 batteries in totals 1 x 85ah, 2 x 105ah). For this I use a 5amp CTek intelligent charger.

When my mother-in-law died, I bought her spotless 1984 Corolla 1600 GLX (with less than 200k on the clock) for R10,000 from the estate. This car I use maybe once in 3 months, so I have a small 0.8amp CTek intelligent charger to keep its 616 battery alive.

Both work well for the correct size battery. Both are connected permanently when the vehicles are not in use.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/09/03 at 12:35 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

A better battery last longer. I installed a 2 year warranty battery for my daughter's swift which she used to drive 2 km for a weekend only when at university, and after 5 years to battery is still there. No charging, nothing in between.
    Last edited by JLK; 2018/09/03 at 01:32 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC PU's and a Prado

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

For easy disconnecting try one of these:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t=#post3968170
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamakazi For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the intelligent charger

Better quality batteries are recommended.
    In my BMW my Genuine battery lasted 7 years, I recently replaced it with another BMW one. Not because it died, its just that I am worried it will soon.
    My FIL Volvo is still on original 2010 battery, it doesn't get used much nor its connected to any chargers.
    I recommend some good quality chargers, but invest a bit more in a good quality battery.
    '03 Discovery II GS TD5

Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
    Better quality batteries are recommended.
    In my BMW my Genuine battery lasted 7 years, I recently replaced it with another BMW one. Not because it died, its just that I am worried it will soon.
    My FIL Volvo is still on original 2010 battery, it doesn't get used much nor its connected to any chargers.
    I recommend some good quality chargers, but invest a bit more in a good quality battery.
    I bought a Bosch battery, will see how long it lasts. We are not spoilt with choices here in Sutherland, our Co-op only stocks Bosch batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I prefer a fixed voltage power supply, set to about 13.5V. An intelligent charger can cook a battery if the battery is not 100% causing the intelligent charger to be on the wrong stage instead of staying on the last trickle charge stage. It's unlikely, but happened to me.

At 13.5/13.6V it's unlikely that you will cook your battery, and it will keep them fully charged. Plus, these power supplies are cheaper than intelligent chargers - I use MeanWell for this.