Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Jurgens Explorer vs Conqueror Commandor

Hi Boys and Girls,

I need some views / input from current owners of Jurgens Explorer and Conqueror Commandor Offroad Caravans.

Will you buy what you have again?
    Proís and Cons of yours.

Rgs
    Scalci
    Land Cruiser 100 VX Diesel
    Land Cruiser 200 VX Diesel
    Land Cruiser FJ45
    KTM 990S

Default Re: Jurgens Explorer vs Conqueror Commandor

Quote Originally Posted by Scalci View Post
    Hi Boys and Girls,

I need some views / input from current owners of Jurgens Explorer and Conqueror Commandor Offroad Caravans.

Will you buy what you have again?
    Pro’s and Cons of yours.

Rgs
    Scalci
    I can't compare because I don't really know the Conqueror. The Explore is heavy but I find it easy to tow. We love our Explorer and if I had to buy again, I would most probably make the same choice. It's great for a quick weekend away but also great for a two week stint next to the sea in a family style caravan park. We've stopped over for a night without even unhitching the caravan or unpacking anything so it definitely works as a stop-an-go. While it does not look like it, it has a surprising amount of packing space. We recently went away for a week not using the caravan and SWAMBO mentioned that she could not believe how much we actually pack in the Explorer looking at how much we had to load on the back of the 4x4 for only a week strip.

My Explorer is now 8 years old (I'm the 2nd owner) and the build quality is good. It's a major plus that spare parts for about anything that can break or might need to be replaced are readily available.

Since I bought the Explorer slightly more than a year ago, I've made a point of looking at the other options since I did not really consider other options at the time I bought the Explorer. It is surprising the variety of options now available but even so, I would not swap my Explorer for any of the other options.

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerhardvr26 For This Useful Post:

This is quite a difficult choice and my honest opinion would be that it boils down to personal taste. Both are tried and tested units with a big following in the market. They are roughly the same weight althought the Commander is slightly shorter.

What I like about the Commander is the bigger front bed and exterior kitchen unit. Negative side is the inevitable rust. The Xplorer has a nicer interior layout and look&feel but no outside kitchen. I do prefer the awning and tent of the Xplorer.

Neither option is bad, hence me saying the biggest thing is which one attracks you most. Price wise the Commander might be cheaper also. I'll also stick my neck out and say, if well cared for, the Xplorer will last longer and still look new.
    Last edited by George; 2018/09/02 at 12:22 PM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Iíll wait and see if Jurgens folds or not!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Iíll wait and see if Jurgens folds or not!
    In 14 years of Xplorer ownership, I never ONCE needed anything from Jurgens, neither did the van ever go back to Jurgens for anything!

I can't see why this should be an issue. I would rather capitalize on the situation!
    Pajero Gen 4 GLX 30 Year Heritage Edition - Grondpad
    VW Tiguan 2.0TDi - Teerpad
    Bushlapa Boabab 4.2 in tow

Two different applications altogether, I don't have either so I am impartial. I have worked on enough of both units to have a better than average knowledge of the technical side of both.

Firstly the Conqueror is a full on off road caravan with butch independent big coil sprung suspension and shocks while the Jurgens is more of a rough roader with rubax suspension. The Conqueror has steel sides while the Jurgens has sandwiched panels (better insulation)

To say one is better than the other .....easy, depending on your requirements. Hectic off road, Conqueror without a doubt. Dirt road and easy off roading, jurgens ticks more boxes.

By asking owners you will get a biassed opinion, few people will admit to buying the wrong one. I have seen the breakages on both as well as the technical side, how they have been put together and what materials have been used and if I had to choose..........Jaguar caravans
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Thx Hbannink,
    Land Cruiser FJ45
    KTM 990S

Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    In 14 years of Xplorer ownership, I never ONCE needed anything from Jurgens, neither did the van ever go back to Jurgens for anything!

I can't see why this should be an issue. I would rather capitalize on the situation!
    +1. My Xplorer never required parts that wasn't run of the mill stuff available in most shops.

Henk - it's FAR from being only a gravel roader
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

OdM

I have the commander and my father the explorer. Both is excellent caravans, and the commander ticks all the boxes for us.

At the end it is personal taste. The commander has enough packing space as does the explorer. But i enjoy the fabric with zips for the cupboards, you dont have doors that can fall off, and with mine being a 2012 model, i believe the zips can give you a long working life.

The only problem I have is the weight. I get 5.5km/l at 110km/h with a 3.0 d3D Auto Fortuner. I dont know if the problem is the vehicle or the weight, but we enjoy the caravan, and i will not trade it for anything else... except maybe a platinum edition... if they remove the radio and tv!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Luxter van Vuuren For This Useful Post:

Scalci, usually when a question like this is posted, we are expected to stick to advice relevant to the question....but since Henk started it ... I have to ask. Why did you limit yourself to these 2 vans?
    Michael Louw (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

So i own a Commander, i bought it new in 2016 from Conqueror in Wellington.

I Love the caravan and i honestly wont change for anything on the market currently, we are a family of 5, with 3 boys aged 14,10 and 9 and all sleep extremely comfortably in the caravan. She can go anywhere and has never mechanically let me down in all the trips we have done and nothing major has ever gone wrong with the caravan. We use her around once a month come Rain, Snow or Sun and we haven't ever had to abandon camp or not made it to our destination. I have fitted a few modern luxuries to make her more comfortable for us like a small TV and a Rooftop Aircon to keep us warm and cool in the crazy months in the Cederberg etc. The Commander can get a bit chilly in Winter due to the Metal used in the manufacturing. She pulls like a dream behind my D4 and she is a good looking Van in my opinion

I also have friends who have recently moved from the Explorer to the Conqueror brand so i feel like i can talk a bit about why they made the move.

The Explorers biggest let down is the lack of an outside pantry / kitchen, for both of my friends this was their primary reason for wanting to change as well as the front bed on the Commander being bigger than the Explorer. I also dont think that the design is fresh enough and the caravan isnt aging well in terms of the look of newer more modern caravans. They are tried and tested though and i havent ever had my friends complain about reliability etc. They do however suffer from a reputation of being a "soft roader" but i haven't ever seen anyone get stuck, so i dont think its an issue unless you are planning on doing some rough mountain passes etc.

The Commanders biggest let down is unfortunately a quality issue with Conqueror as my caravan has been to Wellington a few times since i bought it for repairs and maintenance, that being said i have done over 130 nights and 35 different campsites in her since i bought her, so she has been thoroughly tested. My personal feeling is that Conqueror are well ahead of anyone else in terms of the design and build of their caravans, however in an effort to reduce the waiting times and number of units sold, the Quality Assurance portion has taken a dip, meaning that caravans dont always get delivered 100% perfect.

Luckily for me i am a patient guy and i have an awesome Conqueror Dealer in Andre @ Wellington, they have gone above an beyond to repair any issues i have had and have always made sure i am happy and honestly for me thats the biggest win for Conqueror, it truly is a family of Conqueror owners, we recently had our 2nd annual Conqueror WC weekend at Kambati and it is the highlight of my camping year now. Conqueror is not a brand for me, they are part and parcel of my camping family.

Interestingly, there is a great article in this months Go! Drive & Camp about the Commander where they conclude that in their opinion its the market leader in Off-road caravans, so maybe have a read through that.

Ultimately you need to be happy and it needs to suit your lifestyle etc, HAPPY Camping
    2017 Land Rover Discovery Si6 HSE
    2016 BMW i3 Rex (94ah)
    2019 Conqueror Companion

Facebook - @ilovecampingsa
    Instagram - @ilovecampingsa
    YouTube - @iloveampingsa
    Member of Western Cape Off-road Camping Club

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acydebyte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luxter van Vuuren View Post
    except maybe a platinum edition... if they remove the radio and tv!!
    You can ask them to remove it.

Did you know that the Platinum Commander has a new kitchen cupboard which is depper and longer than the previous Commander, it does however impact on the right hand side single beds space, so just take this into account if you are considering a Platinum
    2017 Land Rover Discovery Si6 HSE
    2016 BMW i3 Rex (94ah)
    2019 Conqueror Companion

Facebook - @ilovecampingsa
    Instagram - @ilovecampingsa
    YouTube - @iloveampingsa
    Member of Western Cape Off-road Camping Club

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Scalci, usually when a question like this is posted, we are expected to stick to advice relevant to the question....but since Henk started it ... I have to ask. Why did you limit yourself to these 2 vans?
    Kooskop, the only reason is, I don't know the rest It is my mistake and probably marketing....

I am happy to look at others. The challenge we sit ow with, it who will trade our Jurgens Classique in. In the end, it will be a numbers decision, as I have learnt these two are very close and mainly personal preference.
    Land Cruiser FJ45
    KTM 990S

Acydebyte, thank you for your input.

I went to a dealer today around us and looked at a Platinum Commander, I spent most probably an hour looking at everything, I have to agree, what I have seen is good.

I will also look at the article you mentioned.
    Land Cruiser FJ45
    KTM 990S

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post

To say one is better than the other .....easy, depending on your requirements. Hectic off road, Conqueror without a doubt. Dirt road and easy off roading, jurgens ticks more boxes.

By asking owners you will get a biassed opinion, few people will admit to buying the wrong one.
    What a SUPER response!

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Scalci View Post
    Kooskop, the only reason is, I don't know the rest It is my mistake and probably marketing....

I am happy to look at others. The challenge we sit ow with, it who will trade our Jurgens Classique in. In the end, it will be a numbers decision, as I have learnt these two are very close and mainly personal preference.
    Makes perfect sense. I'm only asking since I bought a Commander new and owned it for exactly 4 years. I'm just mentioning that before somebody accuses me of being bias.... I suggest you read some of the Bush Lapa threads on this forum before you make a final decision. I'm just one of many on this forum made that move but that does not necessaraly say anything about the other product. We all have different needs and therefore we end up choosing different vans and tow vehicles. As long as you do your homework properly, you will end up with the van that is right for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2018/09/03 at 03:35 PM.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Why don't you just say it straight - go and buy a Ratel
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Makes perfect sense. I'm only asking since I bought a Commander new and owned it for exactly 4 years. I'm just mentioning that before somebody accuses me of being bias.... I suggest you read some of the Bush Lapa threads on this forum before you make a final decision. I'm just one of many on this forum made that move but that does not necessaraly say anything about the other product. We all have different needs and therefore we end up choosing different vans and tow vehicles. As long as you do your homework properly, you will end up with the van that is right for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
    No one will ever accuse you you have been found guilty and sentenced without trail. You are without a doubt BL's best marketing asset and they should give you a new one annually
    @Scalci, if asked for a caravan to avoid or the worst one... I can honestly not say which one gets that label. We are at a good place and time with the 4x4 caravans with almost all of them being premium products.

The Bush lapa is probably the one that the most noise is being made of on this forum and I must agree it is an excellent piece of kit but then in the same breath so is their direct worry the Jaguar caravan that comes in at a better price and lighter on the scale ......
    Have a look at the Echo, Willie makes an awesome product that is a cross over between the Jurgens and Conqueror with a good mix of luxury and rugged reliability. Afrispoor is another contender for the top spot and has its own unique features and also ticks most boxes. I have been through the Infanta factory and seen how these units are built, I would have no second thoughts to own one of these.

One very important point the owner of Echo made is that there is a caravn that suits most people and with a bit of customization , all the people. The person that buys a Conqueror is different from the one that buys a BL , is different from the Echo buyer. Go have a look at as many different ones as you can and speak to as many people as possible to get a good overview of what is available. Do not however lend your ear to Michael he is totally biassed
    Last edited by hbannink; 2018/09/03 at 11:59 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

28. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Do not however lend your ear to Michael he is totally biassed
    Joh... just like that... not even a smiley face...

You made me read my post again. I think my suggestion to do proper homework was good advice. I have never claimed that one size fits all...
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

No one will ever accuse you you have been found guilty and sentenced without trail. You are without a doubt BL's best marketing asset and they should give you a new one annually
    @Scalci, if asked for a caravan to avoid or the worst one... I can honestly not say which one gets that label. We are at a good place and time with the 4x4 caravans with almost all of them being premium products.

The Bush lapa is probably the one that the most noise is being made of on this forum and I must agree it is an excellent piece of kit but then in the same breath so is their direct worry the Jaguar caravan that comes in at a better price and lighter on the scale ......
    Have a look at the Echo, Willie makes an awesome product that is a cross over between the Jurgens and Conqueror with a good mix of luxury and rugged reliability. Afrispoor is another contender for the top spot and has its own unique features and also ticks most boxes. I have been through the Infanta factory and seen how these units are built, I would have no second thoughts to own one of these.

One very important point the owner of Echo made is that there is a caravn that suits most people and with a bit of customization , all the people. The person that buys a Conqueror is different from the one that buys a BL , is different from the Echo buyer. Go have a look at as many different ones as you can and speak to as many people as possible to get a good overview of what is available. Do not however lend your ear to Michael he is totally biassed
    I had excellent advise from Michael when I had to choose between BL and Conqueror. All the advice I got from him also made sense when I visited BL and Conqueror to compare the products. It was also not biased but based on facts (which others have experienced as well).

There are a lot of people who moved to BL especially the Baobab. It seems to be very popular choice inbetween the ranges.

Have a look at the BL threads and form your own opinion. (you can read the other manufacturers threads as well).

There is also a nice thread under the stickys you can read...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast