4x4 Pajero or 4x2 C-hr, route options in October

Default 4x4 Pajero or 4x2 C-hr, route options in October

Hi Guys

Need advice/opinions please.

in October Me and SWAMBO are driving from The cape to Pretoria via Maseru. And I need to find out what my options are.

We have to be in Maseru the 13th October for a wine festival and in Pretoria on the 18th for SIL wedding prep the 20th. Looking for Route options from Maseru to Pretoria seeing a bit of Lesotho like Katse dam and maybe Sani pass and maybe 9 holes at cathedral peak as I am a distance member there or drive through clarens. I have a few questions? Can either drive with the Petrol Pajero or the Toyota C-hr. Pajero gives me 4x4 options but the C-hr will be better for the budget and is a nicer drive on tar roads.

1. Will I be able/allowed to come down SANI on SA side in the C-hr if the weather is good? (see there is a thread about 2x4 not allowed up?)
    2. How much time should be allocated for driving SANI pass?
    3. If not what are interesting/pretty route options from Katse to Cathedral peak or Clarens?
    4. Worth it to just take the Pajero instead?

Been to Maseru a few times but no further.

Default Re: 4x4 Pajero or 4x2 C-hr, route options in October

I'd do the Maseru - Katse - Sani route, especially if it's your first time. For everything but Sani, the Toyota obviously makes the most sense, but with the Pajero you won't worry about Sani even if conditions are slippery; i.e. you'll have peace of mind regarding permission and safety. So IMHO: via Caledon's Poort and Clarens; Toyota. Sani; Pajero.

So to answer you questions:
    1. Will I be able/allowed to come down SANI on SA side in the C-hr if the weather is good? (see there is a thread about 2x4 not allowed up?) Probably not
    2. How much time should be allocated for driving SANI pass? About two hours including photo stops
    3. If not what are interesting/pretty route options from Katse to Cathedral peak or Clarens? You'll drive several mountain passes from Maseru - Katse - Caledon's Poort, but none with the epic vistas of Sani
    4. Worth it to just take the Pajero instead? If you decide on Sani, yes.
    Last edited by Jens78; 2018/08/28 at 12:58 PM.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post: