Help on special campsite location Serengeti, NCA (Ndutu area) beginnen Feb. 2019

Default Help on special campsite location Serengeti, NCA (Ndutu area) beginnen Feb. 2019

In the beginning of February 2019 I want to arrange 3 nights of special campsites in the NCA or Serengeti. It would be great to see already some calves. What would be the best 3 special campsites locations? We also want to do a NCA crater descent. Any suggestions? Zones will be around Lake Ndutu and South eastern Serengeti. On another thread (great!) there is a table with the probable locations and names, but I cannot past the table here.

Last edited by jorisv; 2018/08/28 at 07:41 AM.

Default Re: Help on special campsite location Serengeti, NCA (Ndutu area) beginnen Feb. 2019

Three years ago I tried to book special campsites when at the NCA headquarters at Karatu, they informed me that all the special campsites at Lake Ndutu had been booked out by mobile safari companies. However if you attempt to book well in advance the situation might just be different. At that time they offered to give me the names of the private companies to see if they had any unoccupied special sites they might want to rent on to me. I did not follow up on that as it was not calving season. I have a feeling that during the calving period it will be near impossible to find an empty special campsite in that area, even well in advance.

Another alternative is using a private travel or vehicle hire company, based in Arusha, to try and secure such bookings for you. Who are you hiring your vehicle from or who is organizing your tour? Ask them to help. I have no idea as to which of the particular Ndutu special campsites are better and have seen no information on that.

Something else I read somewhere is that some of the Ndutu special campsites have shifted location and some in that area fall under the NCA and others fall under TANAPA and can be booked with the rest of your Serengeti special campsites falling under the Serengeti park, so try both booking authorities.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2018/08/28 at 08:29 AM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Help on special campsite location Serengeti, NCA (Ndutu area) beginnen Feb. 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Three years ago I tried to book special campsites when at the NCA headquarters at Karatu, they informed me that all the special campsites at Lake Ndutu had been booked out by mobile safari companies. However if you attempt to book well in advance the situation might just be different. At that time they offered to give me the names of the private companies to see if they had any unoccupied special sites they might want to rent on to me. I did not follow up on that as it was not calving season. I have a feeling that during the calving period it will be near impossible to find an empty special campsite in that area, even well in advance.

Another alternative is using a private travel or vehicle hire company, based in Arusha, to try and secure such bookings for you. Who are you hiring your vehicle from or who is organizing your tour? Ask them to help. I have no idea as to which of the particular Ndutu special campsites are better and have seen no information on that.

Something else I read somewhere is that some of the Ndutu special campsites have shifted location and some in that area fall under the NCA and others fall under TANAPA and can be booked with the rest of your Serengeti special campsites falling under the Serengeti park, so try both booking authorities.
    As always, thanks Stan!

We are traveling with our own car from SA and are now in the process of finding a company that can arrange these sites. The first company did not really know these places, so indeed I'm gonna try to find some companies that can book these sites and accommodate us in their car/tents. Any suggestions how to find these companies?

Few years ago we have rented Landrover from Tanzania Pioneers from Arusha ( http://tanzanian-pioneers.com/en/ ) and they have also made all reservations for our campsites inside Serengeti. I'm not sure if they will be willing to help you only with reservations, but you can give them a try.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Two years ago we rented from Shaw´s Safaris and they did all the bookings for us (https://shawsafaris.co.tz). You can as well try (http://www.kearsleys.com) and (http://fortes-safaris.com) as they also work as travel agents apart from renting vehicles.

AP