AWD Tyres

Thread: AWD Tyres

Default AWD Tyres

Hi everyone,

I recently got a Volvo XC60 AWD for my wife and would like some advice on some All Weather/HT tyres that would be suitable for the occational light off road driving/Dirt road driving

I have always used AT's on my Jeep but I would like something with good road manners that can handle light off roading, and due to the vehicle only having a thin marie spare, a tyre with decent sidewall protection if possible.

Also would like something that could handle soft sand if we decide to take the Xc60 to Moz for example

Tyre size is 235/80/18 so these are some options i have found, cant seem to find much info on the sidewall strength etc.

1) Pirelli scorpion Verde all season
    2) Good Year Wrangler HP
    3) Continental CrossContact LX Sport
    4) MICHELIN Lattitude Cross
    5) Michelin LTX M/S2

The Goodyear Wrangler HP and Pirelli seem to have Run On Flat tech which may be handy due to the thin spare, but can anyone suggest anything or perhaps give opinions on these tyres i have listed, experiences etc.

Thanks everyone

Default Re: AWD Tyres

Quote Originally Posted by JK2008ZA View Post
    Hi everyone,

I recently got a Volvo XC60 AWD for my wife and would like some advice on some All Weather/HT tyres that would be suitable for the occational light off road driving/Dirt road driving

I have always used AT's on my Jeep but I would like something with good road manners that can handle light off roading, and due to the vehicle only having a thin marie spare, a tyre with decent sidewall protection if possible.

Also would like something that could handle soft sand if we decide to take the Xc60 to Moz for example

Tyre size is 235/80/18 so these are some options i have found, cant seem to find much info on the sidewall strength etc.

1) Pirelli scorpion Verde all season
    2) Good Year Wrangler HP
    3) Continental CrossContact LX Sport
    4) MICHELIN Lattitude Cross
    5) Michelin LTX M/S2

The Goodyear Wrangler HP and Pirelli seem to have Run On Flat tech which may be handy due to the thin spare, but can anyone suggest anything or perhaps give opinions on these tyres i have listed, experiences etc.

Thanks everyone
    You should have stopped typing after option 1.

Yes we have researched and bought and repeated. Quiet, exceptional on tar, wet or dry and dirt.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

My wife runs Michelin Lattitude on her RAV, can't fault them, gives like 70k km

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

I purchased a vehicle that had brand new Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons fitted... It was a fantastic tyre on-road, one of the quietest I have experienced. Awesome road holding in wet and dry. They just do not last long... Any spirited driving on dirt, leads to tearing and chipping. My set too a beating in the Cederberg and I only did about 100km on dirt. Went really well in sand, deflated well as the sidewalls/compound is very soft.

Its by no means designed for dirt, and it didn't handle well on it either. I got 3 punctures on that set and I had them for 5 months. The wear in 5 months/12k km was really visible. I think it is definitely a higher performance tyre compared to a few of the others in OP, but this "high" performance is a trade-off in my opinion.

If you are going to do the " Occasional" dirt road I think that they are fine. I wouldn't go into the Tankwa Karoo with them though or any similar environment.
    Current: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    De graaf free flow + Software for the SMILE! More goodies to come!

Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

THE
    ACHILLES DESERT HAWK H/T

Looks good as a alternative and is more AT
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

Don't forget the mandatory speed rating............
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Scorpion ATR, good balance between the 2. Road manners are great and the tyres are biased I think more to tar than off road. Does very well in gravel and sand, not great in mud but not bad either. Mine are rated M&S
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by UITZICHT View Post
    THE
    ACHILLES DESERT HAWK H/T

Looks good as a alternative and is more AT
    Just fitted a set 235/55/18 of these on my Jeep Cherokee last week. Had Michelin Primacy’s before, they lasted 45K km. I also wanted a slightly higher profile and more aggressive tread pattern. So far I am impressed with the Achilles as far as noise and roadholding goes. We’ll see how long they’ll last. Paid R8700 including the alignment.
    Nissan Navara d23 (Leatherman)
    Jeep Cherokee 3.2 (Swambo’s sportscar/ mommy taxi)

Scorpion, scorpion, scorpion
    Don't waste your time deciding. I had Michelins, Scorpions, Goodyear, Graggers, but value for money stay the Pirelli

11. The Following User Says Thank You to j9x For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    My wife runs Michelin Lattitude on her RAV, can't fault them, gives like 70k km
    How long they last is the LAST THING I CONCIDER in my tyre choice.

Hell and some people run the tyre almost to the canvas before replacing.

And very honestly, to me, the longer it lasts the Shyter it is as a performer.

Its plain and simple physics.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/08/27 at 06:01 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    How long they last is the LAST THING I CONCIDER in my tyre choice.

And very honestly, to me, the longer it lasts the Shyter it is as a performer.

Its plain and simple physics.
    100% agree with this!
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears