Oloololo Gate Access from Nairobi

Default Oloololo Gate Access from Nairobi

Dear Forum Members,

We are planning a self drive to the Mara next October. We plan to enter via Oloololo and exit via Sekani Gate. Oloololo can be reached either from the C13 or further north from the C14. Apparently there is another access route, via a "Private Toll road" that exits the B3 just South of Mulot. Does anyone have driven it recently? Is it worth to drive it instead of the C13?

Thank you.

AP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Oloololo Gate Access from Nairobi

Apfac

Unless some miracle has happened, the road from Ngorengore via Lemek to Rianta and the Oloololo Gate (which I didn’t know had been given the glory of a road number) is enough of an adventure. I don’t know anything about a private access road further north (which seems to be going along the river from your map), but from looking at both my detailed maps of the greater Mara, is through group ranches and community conservancies. These conservancies in that area are taken as concessions by luxury tented camps. They would not welcome you trucking through. Furthermore, that track is likely to be a bit of a challenge.

The road you have marked even further north comes, I think, from a town called Bomet and goes along the plateau above the Mara and then down the escarpment. I am pretty sure that the bridge that certainly used to be over the Mara river near there and was called Engineers bridge, might now be in some state of disrepair. I haven’t done the Bomet-Engineers bridge track for many years and even then it was quite a challenge and adventure. I would not recommend it.

If I were you, I would stick with the “main” track to Oloololo gate from the Narok road. It will take about 7-8 hours from Nairobi.

I have heard a rumour that the road from Narok to the Sekanani gate is being repaired. So, your route out might be a little easier - although the roads in the Mara Reserve itself are not as well maintained as those in the Mara Triangle (Mara Conservancy).
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2018/08/27 at 07:36 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Apfac

I have heard a rumour that the road from Narok to the Sekanani gate is being repaired. So, your route out might be a little easier - although the roads in the Mara Reserve itself are not as well maintained as those in the Mara Triangle (Mara Conservancy).
    Hi There,
    Not a rumour. There is a large scale development of that road by chinese contractors (as well as a huge hotel.. apparently :/ ). I was on that road in October, March and July, and by the progress between those visits i daresay they are well near completion now...

Regards,

Atakan

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atakanmerdin For This Useful Post:

Thank you very much WW and Atakanmerdin. You have been both, most helpful, as always.

The Sigor - Kaboson Rd (C14) was already being discarded as a viable option, as the last reports were that it was/is in a terrible state. The Aitong Rd. (C13) was / is my first option if we go directly to Oloololo gate from the B3.

I did mention the "Private Toll Rd" (500KSh toll) because the last edition of Rough Guide to Kenya (2016), mentions it (p. 366)as the route to follow if going directly to Oloololo Gate. Nevertheless I have not read a single report on that Rd. I could perceive that it transverses a series of Conservancies, and possibly that is why they admit it is in a better condition.But I also agree with you WW about stepping in somebody else´s turf.

It is nice to know that the C12 (Sekani Rd) is being repaired/ upgraded.

Well, let us stick to the more classical routes!

Thank you again.

AP

Good plan, AP!

I am most intrigued that the 2016 Rough Guide even mentions a “private toll” road. Although, of course, those guidebooks are probably written based on older information which is now out of date (even if it were true years ago...).

I remember, a number of years ago, lots of disquiet about Maasai claiming “tolls” even when on public roads if one had to take a diversion from the accepted line due to big muddy holes or the like. Or, I suppose, illegal driving over their land. I would not think that such a track would remotely be in a better condition than the “main” road.

Safari njema!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

apfac, I think even the "main" C13 road to Oloololo gate could be adventurous enough, I wouldn't try to find more demanding one. This January we became stuck in the puddle of mud on this very road - this can give you a clue about the quality of this "main road". All it takes is one heavy downpour and it can become impassable. When we got stuck, we have already given up after few attempts to get out of that mud and were waiting for some other vehicle to come by and help us pull out, when the last attempt with diff locks engaged released us from a long wait (we didn't meet another vehicle on that road for quite some time).
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Hi Ortelius,

Thank you for the input. Got the picture on the state of the roads. Just trying to ascertain the safest way to get into/ out of the Mara in a loop circuit, i.e. if possible.

Thank you again.

AP

From the Mara Triangle website. Although the info about the Narok to the Sekanani gate is obviously out of date due to the Chinese roadworks.

https://www.maratriangle.org/driving...ra-triangle-2/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post: