Drinking water in Hwange





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tokai
    Age
    65
    Posts
    256
    Thanked: 155

    Smile Drinking water in Hwange

    Advice needed on whether to take our own drinking water to Hwange or not? We'll be camping at Ngweshla for 5 nights and Deteema for 2 nights. Do these sites have water suitable for drinking or is it safer to take our own? I'm trying to limit excess baggage in the car!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanked: 1753

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    Quote Originally Posted by Davesg View Post
    Advice needed on whether to take our own drinking water to Hwange or not? We'll be camping at Ngweshla for 5 nights and Deteema for 2 nights. Do these sites have water suitable for drinking or is it safer to take our own? I'm trying to limit excess baggage in the car!
    Deteema is fine, plenty of good water. If youíre lucky, as we were 3 weeks ago youíll have the services of Abiot and perhaps his son Modern (who might actually be back at school already). Donít know about Ngweshla, we abandoned plans for Sinamatela because there had been no water for 3 days.

    If youíre going up Iím very keen to get a package to Abiot which could be dropped at Robins where his wife lives, or perhaps at Deteema if heís there - I will check, I have his personal number. It wonít be big, or contraband, just some clothing and school supplies that he needs.
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tokai
    Age
    65
    Posts
    256
    Thanked: 155

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    If youíre going up Iím very keen to get a package to Abiot which could be dropped at Robins where his wife lives, or perhaps at Deteema if heís there - I will check, I have his personal number. It wonít be big, or contraband, just some clothing and school supplies that he needs.
    Thanks for your response. PM sent re package.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanked: 1753

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    Quote Originally Posted by Davesg View Post
    Thanks for your response. PM sent re package.
    Thanks, responded. Perhaps a cold one when you get to Durban, dependingmin where your boet lives.
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,716
    Thanked: 644

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    Portable water also available at Ngweshla.

    Enjoy your trip. You will love Deteema.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tokai
    Age
    65
    Posts
    256
    Thanked: 155

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Portable water also available at Ngweshla.

    Enjoy your trip. You will love Deteema.

    Thanks Tron!

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    57
    Posts
    471
    Thanked: 368

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    Last time we were in Hwange we carried extra diesel and spares for the lister pumps - at every camp we serviced the pumps (gave them all our no 13 spanners) filled up their diesel. The one waterhole - I dont know which hadnt worked for ages and the waterhole was dry. Got the pump working and the minute the animals heard the pump they started coming, by morning it was chaos. I dont believe in giving money, but certainly will help when I can with food/old clothes/school gear. The best was when we went to Angola we bought soccer balls - the kids (all ages) went crazy - and more than one can play with it. We just pumped them up as we needed them. I am going to Zambia in October and planning on buying socks for the rangers - good socks that they can wear with boots. It does not take up space. I dont do sweets as most sweets come in plastic and then the kids just chuck it aside. So I sometimes carry biscuits that I give out to the kids. Mozambique is a menance with the kids all shouting for sweeties they minute they see a car. Last time we were in Zambia we also ended up servicing all the outback engines - didnt pay for accom anywhere . At Mcbrides - the landrover that Chris used to leave south africa with was at his fly camp and had not run for years. We got stuck in (he had a spare carb) and the vehicle started and ran again. Interacting with the locals and giving where we can is the best holiday ever. Wherever we can (outside of SA of course) we stop in the little villages at the markets and buy our vegies and eggs. This mentality that SA's have of loading your car full of everything u need and not supporting the local shops and communities is crazy. Looking for fires in the morning and waiting for the pao to be baked is the best - (Moz - pao is the portugeuse rolls that you buy) but you must eat them when they are hot as by the end of the day they are rock solid. Travelling is fun
    Last edited by Raceway; 2018/08/26 at 11:13 AM.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raceway For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare
    Posts
    146
    Thanked: 94

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    We had two nights at Ngweshla 10 days ago, most sought after camping spot in Hwange for good reason. Hardly slept the one night as the lion and ellies wouldn't keep quiet, really exciting!! We took our own drinking water although water there seemed okay. Excellent hot shower, clean toliets, take toilet paper. Ezra, the parks employee was great. We gave him wildlife magazines, maize meal, beans, dried kapenta, salt, rice etc, etc, he was extremely grateful. Have a great trip, we are jealous!!!
    John
    2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715
    Don't let your dreams remain dreams


  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tokai
    Age
    65
    Posts
    256
    Thanked: 155

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    We had two nights at Ngweshla 10 days ago, most sought after camping spot in Hwange for good reason. Hardly slept the one night as the lion and ellies wouldn't keep quiet, really exciting!! We took our own drinking water although water there seemed okay. Excellent hot shower, clean toliets, take toilet paper. Ezra, the parks employee was great. We gave him wildlife magazines, maize meal, beans, dried kapenta, salt, rice etc, etc, he was extremely grateful. Have a great trip, we are jealous!!!

    Thanks for your response. Sounds great!

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,323
    Thanked: 1753

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    The pumps at Deteema, Shumba and Masuma now driven by solar - signs indicating an EU country donation. They run full time filling the waterholes, the attendants go down when necessary and switch them over to fill the tanks at the sites. The attendant at Masuma is Godfrey, very good guy, very serious about his work and obviously regards it as a calling. With all of them itís a nice gesture, the Zim authorities donít support them properly, some durable food items very welcome.

    Thatís apparently the problem at Sinamatela, the revamped cottages are full of permanents from the mining companies and they have put in enormous JoJo tanks that suck up all the water. Never confirmed that, just what we were told.
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Richards Bay
    Age
    32
    Posts
    370
    Thanked: 100

    Default Re: Drinking water in Hwange

    Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    The pumps at Deteema, Shumba and Masuma now driven by solar - signs indicating an EU country donation. They run full time filling the waterholes, the attendants go down when necessary and switch them over to fill the tanks at the sites. The attendant at Masuma is Godfrey, very good guy, very serious about his work and obviously regards it as a calling. With all of them itís a nice gesture, the Zim authorities donít support them properly, some durable food items very welcome.

    Thatís apparently the problem at Sinamatela, the revamped cottages are full of permanents from the mining companies and they have put in enormous JoJo tanks that suck up all the water. Never confirmed that, just what we were told.
    Mostly the concession holders have installed the solar pumps to the picnic sites in the vicinity of their concessions- Shumba with assistance from Camp Hwange (and others), Masuma by Kapula Private Camp.
    1985 Land Rover 110 - 300tdi conversion


    It's always more fun on the road less travelled

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •