Defender 90 Puma 2.4 - intermittent loss of power

Default Defender 90 Puma 2.4 - intermittent loss of power

So I've read an enormous amount about this problem on various sites and forums and looked at a myriad of clips on Youtube but there does not seem to be any consensus on what the problem might be. I don't think I've seen a single thread where an owner managed to find the fault and fix it.

I have a 2008 Defender and it had a new turbo charger fitted in about a year ago. A couple of months ago it intermittently started to los power. It seems like it goes into limp mode but as soon as I stop and switch off, its fine fine again after a re start. The car starts fine and idles beautifully. And when it goes, it goes really well. The temp gauge never moves from halfway. There is enough coolant and no leaks.

I think it might have something to do with temperature because it seems to lose power only on an uphill - even a slight uphill and even with no load. What I've done so far is have the EGR valve cleaned (it had a lot of carbon deposits) and cleaned the MAFT sensor. I've looked at but cant see any problems with intercooler hoses.

What I'm thinking is to replace the MAP sensor and the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor. Maybe if I replace every damned sensor under the bonnet the problem will eventually go away.

Is there anybody here who has had experience with this that can give me some guidance. I will be eternally grateful and there will be a case of beer forthcoming!

I don't have any diagnostic equipment.

Thanks,

Andre

Question Re: Defender 90 Puma 2.4 - intermittent loss of power

Have you done diagnostics to see where the problem is ?.

Default Re: Defender 90 Puma 2.4 - intermittent loss of power

Quote Originally Posted by mike cullen View Post
    Have you done diagnostics to see where the problem is ?.
    Diagnostics done by Landyworx showed no error codes whatsoever. That is the big mystery. No apparent faults 🤷#♂️

What gear are charging up the hills? 6th? remember, it does almost weigh 3ton.
    Normally the ecu protects the vehicle if it runs a bit warm and does make for slower driving. (protective)

Andre is it chipped or remapped? On hills engine labours in 6th and temps go through the roof. Bad remap may be causing it to overfuel and get hot.

Does it do the same if you gear down to 5th?

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    Andre is it chipped or remapped? On hills engine labours in 6th and temps go through the roof. Bad remap may be causing it to overfuel and get hot.

Does it do the same if you gear down to 5th?
    Thanks for the replies guys. I donít know about remapping but Iíll pay more attention to driving style and avoid labouringvthe engine.

Check the wiring on the Turbo . There was a factory recall on early 2.4 Pumas. Had mine done last year and have had no problems since. Harness wires intermittent

Quote Originally Posted by gojo View Post
    Check the wiring on the Turbo . There was a factory recall on early 2.4 Pumas. Had mine done last year and have had no problems since. Harness wires intermittent
    Thanks gojo. Will have that checked out

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkals. View Post
    What gear are charging up the hills? 6th? remember, it does almost weigh 3ton.
    Normally the ecu protects the vehicle if it runs a bit warm and does make for slower driving. (protective)
    yes, if you're booting it uphill in 6th, chances are you are over-boosting and the ECU will cut back on fuel
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yes, if you're booting it uphill in 6th, chances are you are over-boosting and the ECU will cut back on fuel
    Interesting. Didn't know that. And it would explain why I'm not getting any MILs when it happens or any any fault codes on the diagnostics.

By the way, where can I buy an Ultragauge (or any other diagnostic device)?

Thanks for the helpful comments!

A

Advice given to me by the Indy (TwinLandy in CT) that looked after my Puma (2.4) ................. do not use 6th when revs are below 1800 - 2000 rpm
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    Advice given to me by the Indy (TwinLandy in CT) that looked after my Puma (2.4) ................. do not use 6th when revs are below 1800 - 2000 rpm
    +1

think of 6th as an overdrive gear: not to be used unless you're cruising on a flat road.

I would strongly recommend that you fit a Madman/similar EGT gauge, it will make you drive within the engine's capabilities.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    +1

think of 6th as an overdrive gear: not to be used unless you're cruising on a flat road.

I would strongly recommend that you fit a Madman/similar EGT gauge, it will make you drive within the engine's capabilities.

100% - fit an engine monitoring system before anything else. This will give you the temp and EG readings at the time of the problem... or warn you when they go over the limit. Also, consider disconnect the EGR.

Thanks everyone who replied. I've been driving around for the past two days taking care that I don't go below about 2000 rpm in 4th, 5th or 6th, and especially on an uphill and I've had no problems. In the past I've tended to keep the revs low thinking that it will save fuel but clearly this doesn't work on a Defender.

I waiting for a wifi Elm327 scanner to arrive from Cape Town and I'll use either Torque Pro or Dash Command to monitor the engine systems. But someone told me that the Elm327 fails to pick up a number of important ECU parameters. Does anyone on the forum use the Elm327 with any success? It only costs R300 odd so I thought I'll just get one and give it try regardless of some negative info.