Volvo? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Volvo?

Default Re: Volvo?

In our Family we have owned 6 Volvo's since 1995 when they returned.

The last Volvo was sold at 360 000 km and I will openly admit that it was the most reliable performance vehicle I have driven since new. And I gave it the beans a lot of time and it was well looked after.

Servicing costs after the motor plan was actually cheaper than MB, Audi and BMW at the agents but not by much though. Had really great service from the dealers I used.

Having recently driven the V40 D3 I was really impressed with the punchy motor and drive ability and economy. I'm a petrol head but this diesel proved really a great drive.

Value in the second hand market might not be the best, but then again the Volvo's are seldom relieved of their owners by taking once parked. Even driving around I never felt the worry as in a BMW or VW, even going through the shady areas at night. In fact I was witness to 2x hijackings at intersections, where they took a car just in the next lane, and not even looked at my vehicle. Not saying you will not be hijacked in one, but they rank much lower due to no demand in africa for them. They are the safest cars for a reason and today driving a platkar it will be my choice for that reason and the fact that they are not popular for redistribution of any sorts. Also My life in an accident is worth much more than the depreciation on a new Volvo. I will rather walk away from an accident or even survive a serious crash than worry about the resale value.

I am biased, they are much better vehicles than other premium brands and yes I have had the luxury of owning and driving a few other luxury premium brands also.
    Johan Marais

Toyota L/Cruiser Prado 4.0 VX AT 08

Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    Lol they are now owned by Geely the chinese company, trucks are still owned by the Swedes
    If my car came from Slovakia I would rather keep quiet (tic).

Owned by the Chinese but build in Belgium or Malaysia.
    Last edited by Tom13; 2018/08/21 at 05:39 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

I have owned 3 Volvos and we are currently shopping for a 4th.

Can you all please stop singing their praises, you will affect the price if the used bargains available!

Phenomenal cars. Volvo for life.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

I had a S40 T5 , a S40 D4 and also a C30 1.6, and they are great quality cars, very safe, reliable and you get great service from the dealers. Iím a Nissan fan, but would buy a Volvo again anytime. Secondhand value is the biggest issue , but if you buy secondhand you donít lose that much. Would definetely recommend them
    Regards
    Jannas

Nissan Terrano II 2.7 TDI - 2000 - ex
    Nissan Qashqai 2.0 Acenta (petrol) - 2012
    Nissan 1400 Champ - 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    The new one will be build on the same platform as the current XC40 with similar good looks

Attachment 499363Attachment 499364

That being said, I know that Volvo in the past had a VAT free sale in September every year. (VAT Free was in the form of a 14% discount at historical VAT rate). Not sure if the same will happen this year. Might be worth the wait.

Correction: Might be December every year.
    Those are seriously good looking vehicles and very well thought out.

Most modern higher end vehicles are hellish expensive to repair so I don't think Volvo will be much more in that regard. Only thing is small dealer/indy footprint and limited aftermarket spares available.

If you are buying 2hnd you can also take advantage of their terrible resale value, although that'll come to bite back when you eventually need to sell it on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    If my car came from Slovakia I would rather keep quiet (tic).

Owned by the Chinese but build in Belgium or Malaysia.
    Just some interesting points I managed to get to know early on and also recently through a key person at headoffice is as

Geely might be the owners of the brand but they still allow the Swedes to develop and keep the Brand the way it is. No intervention into brand cross breeding. Think Geely bought them to use the access to knowledge of certain key points to strengthen their own brand. Geely been the owners for quite some years now and still is Volvo a brand on its own with its own identity and market positioning. Also Geely bought Volvo to introduce the brand to the east and it appears that their is a big demand for this type of vehicle under the upmarket people in the east.

I say it is all strategy to improve market return on investment and becoming a bigger market share holder. Also it was negotiated that Volvo will continue as an individual brand and company with R&D and market segmentation. So the chinese are the funders of the company and also the profit collectors and it was recently reported that Volvo brand has become again one of the more profitable brands in the industry. Their approach is why change if it returns great results and the market is responding so well to the brand.

Bear in Mind South Africa do have a very small motor industry compared to other countries so we only get to see a small bit of the effect.
    Johan Marais

Toyota L/Cruiser Prado 4.0 VX AT 08

Thanks a lot guys. I would not mind a new XC60 in my garage as well I must admit.
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

Quite an interesting company and the way it is operated.

Yes Volvo Cars is owned by the Chinese company Geely. Volvo Cars HQ remains in Gothenburg, Sweden, where they are still operated and run as a Swedish company. They still have the big factory in Sweden (Torslanda Plant near Gothenburg). Although owned by Geely they must still adhere to brand image regulations as stipulated by Volvo AB.

They have an assembly plant in Malaysia that assembles most of the models , but 99% of those cars assembled there are only for the South-East Asia markets. There are 2 factories in China with a 3rd under construction, that will build the bigger models (90 series etc) purely for the China and USA market. Depending on demand some will be exported to Europe as well. Think they will be building one in USA as well, but not sure

It looks like the technology development will be driven from Volvo and then utilized by the Chinese.

Lynk & Co seems like the brand that will be positioned between Volvo and Geely. Geely will utilize some Volvo technology but it seems like there will be platform sharing between Volvo and Lynk & Co. (01 & 02 Models will use XC40 platform). Pics are of the Lynk & Co 01 and the Lynk & Co 02.

Name:  800px-WMC_P_AS17_Lynk_&_Co_01_1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  106.2 KB
    Name:  800px-Lynk_&_Co_02_001.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  133.7 KB

Sorry for going of topic a bit. But it seems like Geely was the best thing that could have happened to Volvo Cars after the Ford mishap. Plus Volvo Cars are also not doing bad financially, so looks like a win win for Geely at this stage.

My son has a diesel v40 in germany 2015/16 model
    Fantastic economy even at autobahn speeds
    However he has had an issue with leaking injectors. engine oil needs to be drained between services due to diesel getting into sump.
    Egr problem costing 900 euros to fix (10% or 90 euro motorplan contribution)
    otherwise good car

Interesting read. I am also shopping around as I will be needing to replace my e90 320 BMW soon and intend going diesel.

These positive replies about Volvo are rather thought provoking, as I had almost narrowed my search down to BMW 320d vs VW Passat, now Volvo has arrived at the party and three is a crowd......

I have two -
    2004 XC70, bought 2nd-hand at 68 000km - she's now done 280 000 and going strong, in daily use. Never any regrets.
    She's been to Moz (Pomene / Inhambane / Tete), Malawi (including the "4x4 only" Nyika plateau and Mvuu reserve), Zambia (incl. South Luangwa), Namibia (all over), Richtersveld (de Hoop) and many more before I bought my Landy Puma in 2012. Since then she's had an easier life!
    My wife has a 2012 C30 D2, bought at 57 000km, now on 125 000km. We both love the car. Again, no regrets.

Extras: (None on the C30.)
    XC70: 2nd battery (now removed), frontrunner roofrack, protective under-panels (were available from Volvo in 2005 - dunno if they still do them. I made many dents in them over the years.)

Positives:
    1. Some of the best-looking cars around. I prefer the look of the old XC70 to the newer Volvo SUVs.
    2. Fuel efficiency - the XC70 (2.5l 5-cylinder petrol) at around 9l/100km fully loaded when travelling.
    The C30 D2 (diesel) gets under 5L/100Km when travelling if careful . . . it sits at around 6.0 with town use. And yet both have plenty of "oomph" when needed.
    3. Both are manual - which I prefer - and never a problem with box or clutch.
    4. Exceptional safety and comfort
    5. Lots of space in the XC70, nice little 'extras' like tie-down points at back, rear 12V plug, 'dog' grill . . .

Negatives:
    1. Biscuit spare on the C30 (full size on the XC70)
    2. Ground clearance on the C30 is appalling. (The XC70 is pretty good.)
    3. The C30 has limited packing space. But it was still ok for the 2 of us to go for a weekend camp to see the Namaqua flowers.
    4. Dealer service costs are high - but we have both cars looked after by an independent business where it's not bad at all.

If I ever need to, I'll buy another Volvo.

My wife owns the V60 CC and I have the XC90. Coming from Audis, Jeeps and VW's I can honestly say these are the best cars we have owned.

Would buy another Volvo in a heartbeat.

Also been looking at the newer models, really wanted the V40 stationwagon, but they don't sell them anymore, just waiting on the new V60 stationwagon to come out. This may drop the price on the current models..

As for the v40, if you are worried on ground clearance, get the Cross Country... Just as good. But bear in mind, in the next few years they will be dropping all of their diesel models and be changing only to petrol (Somewhere from 2020). Else I would look at the XC40 if budget allows...

Here's what you can do with a Volvo XC60 T6. Steel bumper, bash plates and external full size spare wheel. It makes getting to the destination very comfortable and safe and hasn't missed a beat in the Kgalagadi's sand or Mountain Zebra's rocky 4x4 trail. They are very underrated vehicles in South Africa.

Sadly this Volvo is for sale now, my Missus doesn't understand how it is possible for one man to have two 4x4s at the same time !

I haven't posted anything before so I hope that the image will appear here..

Rod Ward Able
    Attached Images Attached Images  

[QUOTE=jphewitson;3972206]I have two -
    2004 XC70, bought 2nd-hand at 68 000km - she's now done 280 000 and going strong, in daily use. Never any regrets.
    She's been to Moz (Pomene / Inhambane / Tete), Malawi (including the "4x4 only" Nyika plateau and Mvuu reserve), Zambia (incl. South Luangwa), Namibia (all over), Richtersveld (de Hoop) and many more before I bought my Landy Puma in 2012. Since then she's had an easier life!
    My wife has a 2012 C30 D2, bought at 57 000km, now on 125 000km. We both love the car. Again, no regrets.

Extras: (None on the C30.)
    XC70: 2nd battery (now removed), frontrunner roofrack, protective under-panels (were available from Volvo in 2005 - dunno if they still do them. I made many dents in them over the years.)

Positives:
    1. Some of the best-looking cars around. I prefer the look of the old XC70 to the newer Volvo SUVs.
    2. Fuel efficiency - the XC70 (2.5l 5-cylinder petrol) at around 9l/100km fully loaded when travelling.
    The C30 D2 (diesel) gets under 5L/100Km when travelling if careful . . . it sits at around 6.0 with town use. And yet both have plenty of "oomph" when needed.
    3. Both are manual - which I prefer - and never a problem with box or clutch.
    4. Exceptional safety and comfort
    5. Lots of space in the XC70, nice little 'extras' like tie-down points at back, rear 12V plug, 'dog' grill . . .

Negatives:
    1. Biscuit spare on the C30 (full size on the XC70)
    2. Ground clearance on the C30 is appalling. (The XC70 is pretty good.)
    3. The C30 has limited packing space. But it was still ok for the 2 of us to go for a weekend camp to see the Namaqua flowers.
    4. Dealer service costs are high - but we have both cars looked after by an independent business where it's not bad at all.

If I ever need to, I'll buy another Volvo.[/QUOTE

I never knew that XC70 came in Manual.
    I stayed away from them as early 2000's automatics had issues with the valve bodies.
    I opted for S60 '05 manual instead.
    Had it for 3 yaers and passed it down to my Father.
    Great cars and most comfortable seats, except for old Citroen's.
    '03 Discovery II GS TD5

[QUOTE=Tom13;3968331]If my car came from Slovakia I would rather keep quiet (tic).

Owned by the Chinese but build in Belgium or Malaysia.[/QUOTE

Tom I was not knocking the brand, I worked for Volvo and done thousands of miles in their product, just stating a fact, they seemed stagnant since Ford bought them, now Geely are owners they are on the move again,
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

World record mileage on a car still on original engine is a Volvo 1800.
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    World record mileage on a car still on original engine is a Volvo 1800.
    And the mileage is?

Last edited by meh; 2019/06/02 at 04:07 PM.
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

Number 3 is also a Volvo! A 1979 Volvo 245 GL S/W @ 1 630 00 miles
    Last edited by EttiennedK; 2019/06/02 at 06:32 PM.
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2