Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    72
    Posts
    198
    Thanked: 1

    Default Van Zyl's Rus road

    Please can someone update me on the condition of the road as we are going to the Kalagadi in a few weeks?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Umdloti
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by Getalbo View Post
    Please can someone update me on the condition of the road as we are going to the Kalagadi in a few weeks?
    Thanks.
    I travelled Kuruman, Van zyls rus to kgaligadi in June this year. Ford Ranger....look out for pot holes in tarmac on way to van zyls... but not too bad. Stop for a lovely meal at van zyls rus hotel.... gravel from there onwards till last 50km or so which is tar again.. road pretty good on average... check out the vultures ... lots of them... magnificent birds.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Barryb For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    72
    Posts
    198
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Thank you Barry.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Good evening. As a novice 4x4 with Amarok which is the best road to take from van Zyls Rus to Kgalagadi? Will the Amarok be able to deal with the dunes in the park? It is an automatic?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,637
    Thanked: 2761

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Phone the SAP at v Zyls rus they drive those roads on a daily basis and are more than helpful
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Molopo
    Posts
    450
    Thanked: 267

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by Avrilp View Post
    Good evening. As a novice 4x4 with Amarok which is the best road to take from van Zyls Rus to Kgalagadi? Will the Amarok be able to deal with the dunes in the park? It is an automatic?
    There is only one main road (R31) from VanZyls to the park. And yes your Amarok will be fine. People with sedan cars visit the park as well.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,637
    Thanked: 2761

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by HannoK View Post
    There is only one main road (R31) from VanZyls to the park. And yes your Amarok will be fine. People with sedan cars visit the park as well.
    I hear what you say but...... on my last trip the road was so bumpy that I had coke bottles burst due to chafing. Good today and crappy tomorrow phone the cops
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Molopo
    Posts
    450
    Thanked: 267

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I hear what you say but...... on my last trip the road was so bumpy that I had coke bottles burst due to chafing. Good today and crappy tomorrow phone the cops
    Likewise on our side of the Kalahari. It depends on the rain and wind. But I still say the Amarok will make it

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Potchefstroom
    Posts
    123
    Thanked: 70

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Spoke to Molopo lodge today. Road apparently in very bad condition. Will go via Upington? 27 April.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobus RDW For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,637
    Thanked: 2761

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by HannoK View Post
    Likewise on our side of the Kalahari. It depends on the rain and wind. But I still say the Amarok will make it
    If a Pajero can do it dare I say a milk bottle should do it without any issue
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Molopo
    Posts
    450
    Thanked: 267

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    If a Pajero can do it dare I say a milk bottle should do it without any issue
    Of course.. Hope it doesn't burst like you Coke bottles on the bad road :-)

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rangeview Krugersdorp
    Age
    71
    Posts
    6,843
    Thanked: 1597

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Mnnnn, lost 25 ltr of Diesel INSIDE a friends Ssangyong 2 days into our trip.
    Had to cut the carpets out at Molopo before we could continue
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !



    Ford Figo 2016

  19. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,997
    Thanked: 970

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Mnnnn, lost 25 ltr of Diesel INSIDE a friends Ssangyong 2 days into our trip.
    Had to cut the carpets out at Molopo before we could continue
    25 liters? Plastic container? Diesel inside a vehicle? What was he thinking!
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    576
    Thanked: 2238

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Went through there yesterday averaged 84 km/h I left my tire pressure at 1.6 bar from Kgalagadi. Graders had been busy on the first stretch since we passed through on Tuesday last week so the first third from Askham is actually an easy drive. I found the badly constructed tar road between Van Zyl's and Hotazel to be a bit more of challenge in that at 100km/h it was quite dangerous when the dips catch you off guard.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:


  23. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Went through there yesterday averaged 84 km/h I left my tire pressure at 1.6 bar from Kgalagadi. Graders had been busy on the first stretch since we passed through on Tuesday last week so the first third from Askham is actually an easy drive. I found the badly constructed tar road between Van Zyl's and Hotazel to be a bit more of challenge in that at 100km/h it was quite dangerous when the dips catch you off guard.
    How long is the drive from van Zyls Rus to Kgalagadi time and distance.

  24. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    576
    Thanked: 2238

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by Avrilp View Post
    How long is the drive from van Zyls Rus to Kgalagadi time and distance.
    It's about 150km from Van Zyl's to Askham and if the road conditions are the same as we had it three weeks ago that will take you about 1hr 45 mins, Twee Rivieren is another 75km which will take about an hour. If you are looking for a camping stop over I can recommend Leeupan which is little further on the road from Van Zyl's.

  25. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    31
    Posts
    332
    Thanked: 1468

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Just spent a week near Van Zyls Rus. Beware when travelling through Kuruman, it seems the local tactic is to damage your car then once you get out they rob you of wallet, cellphones etc.

    If someone hits your car with a rock or has a suspicious bumper bashing, don't get out of the car to assess rather drive on and check out the damage later on.

  26. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rangeview Krugersdorp
    Age
    71
    Posts
    6,843
    Thanked: 1597

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Pity they are not proactive in Kuruman...
    A little old lady with grey wig and a HUGE gun !!
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !



    Ford Figo 2016

  27. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    31
    Posts
    332
    Thanked: 1468

    Default Re: Van Zyl's Rus road

    Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Pity they are not proactive in Kuruman...
    A little old lady with grey wig and a HUGE gun !!
    Very difficult to start firing shots when in a crowded CBD!

    Incidentally they tend to target people who look like they are going hunting because they know you have rifles in the car which are very valuable

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •