Show a newbie around

Default Show a newbie around

Hi there. Anyone feel like showing a newbie around the softroader friendly trails around Cape Town? I recently acquired a freelander 2 and so far been to Blombosch and up table mountain via Constantia nek to the waterworks museum (mountain rescue related). I know there's a sticky thread on the list of trails, but I think I probably need to know where to go, who to call, permits, who has right of way, and also someone to pull me out when I get stuck.

Default Re: Show a newbie around

You can't bring a Freelander 2 on a softroader outing. You'll get bored and you'll wonder why they don't invite you the next time

Helderberg 4x4 near Somerset West is a great "starter" course. Do the blue route first, then later when you're confident, do the red route.

To get people to join, set a firm date and time (Saturdays 9am seems a good time for most) about a month in advance, then post a thread in the Western Cape section. You should get a fair turnout.

Thanks for the advice Johan. One of reasons I got the freelander was because of the opinion of members on this forum. Seems like it's almost a "real" 4x4, but quite a bit more capable than the average softroader. I suppose putting a date down will attract a few experienced guys to show me around and connect with. I'm also just trying to avoid upsetting some oom in a hardcore 4x4 who lives on the trail because I don't know trail etiquette. I'll give that blue route a go. You reckon with a bit more experience a freelander can make it up the red? I've seen a few videos of the boomslang and it looks a bit tough.

Quote Originally Posted by RJay View Post
    ...up table mountain via Constantia Neck to the waterworks museum (mountain rescue related)...
    Now here is a trip you could start with....
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.