1-Performance
    2-Towing capacity
    3-Reliability
    4- Maintenance costs
    5- Fuel consumption

of the ASX model AWD vehicle?

Your assistance is much appreciated .

Default Re: ASX performance

The 2lt motor is super good.Not top of the range performance type but good solid reliable.
    Many guys get an average of around 11.5-even 12.5km/l on the open road and about 9.5-10 in town.
    towing capacity im not sure but doubt you will tow more than 750kg
    The boot is slightly small but other than that very decent car

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Reviving an old fred here.

Has anyone got any driving experience with the 2018 ASx auto's?

We're doing a deal on one in Shelly Beach and have not driven an auto before, almost all dealers up in Pretoria have manuals for test driving.
    I know the 2.0 can't be a rocket in auto spec, but is it sluggish? Fuel economy? It's only for Swambo to work and back, and maaayyybe a weekend away where the Triton can rest it shoes and not do gravel.

All mitsu autos i have driven are awesome.From the 4spd to the 8 spd..Not sure if the asx has an auto or cvt but if its an auto you will certainly be happy.Cvt might take some getting used to.Fuel consumption on the auto in town will be quite a bit heavier in town as generally they are slightly more sluggish on pull away and you often press the pedal a bit deeper to get going.If you learn to ease the auto your consumption wont be far off the manual

Auto or CVT?

The CVT tow specs are very low and require expensive oil changes on a regular basis.

The manual is the one to go for TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Auto or CVT?

The CVT tow specs are very low and require expensive oil changes on a regular basis.

The manual is the one to go for TBH.
    Help an uneducated here .... what's the difference? i've noticed allot of Honda's always say CVT?? I think this a CVT too

My wife and I test drove the ASX Auto (CVT) when we were looking to buy her a new vehicle...We both disliked the CVT
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

Quote Originally Posted by SinWolf View Post
    My wife and I test drove the ASX Auto (CVT) when we were looking to buy her a new vehicle...We both disliked the CVT
    read up on it now, sounds like the engine could be screaming at us allot

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    EXACTLY what we experienced...

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

Help an uneducated here .... what's the difference? i've noticed allot of Honda's always say CVT?? I think this a CVT too
    Today we have a number of different automatic options ... and the manufacturers are continually jumping between the options.

1) Hydraulic, or torque converter - this is tried and tested automatic. The one many of us grew up with .... sluggish and heavy on fuel may well be the common perception.

2) DSG - VW is well know for its dual clutch manual gear boxes, with an automated electro-mechanical switching system. Thus you get all the benefits of a manual, combined with the ease of an automatic. For the racers the DSG has evolved to the point where the shifts are faster than most normal humans can manage a manual gear change. Combined with modern electronic control software the DSG adapts fast to your shoe size and can be a frugal idler or a fiesty beast on the roads ....

3) CVT (constant variable transmission) - effectively a driving belt on a set of pulleys that adjust the gear ratio continously. This technology has come a long way in the last 20 years. MANY manufacturers now swear by this. That said, compared to a DSG or modern torque converter the CVT is "slow to react"... Not good feedback from the energetic drivers.

4) AMT - automatic manual transmission - similar to the DSG, except these have a single clutch, and are typically used on smaller engines. Now the electro-mechanical controller has a lot more to do for a single gear change than with a DSG, and the time lag is "frustrating" .. to put it mildly. Still the most cost effective option for a city run around, IF you can get used to that 1-to-2 gear change ...

DSG has got a cult following under the racers. Yet most manufacturers of very high performance vehicles are moving to the modern incarnations of torque converters .... clearly automatic gearboxes are still very much evolving !! Thanks to modern materials and finite electronic controls the problems of yesteryear is no longer an issue .... going to be very interesting to see where this evolves to ..

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elders For This Useful Post:

During 2018 I test drove many different automatic vehicles, different types of boxes ....

With older motors having a classic manual design, ie low end tuned for fuel economy, and high-end VVTi technology to get power out of the mot,r (and this very much applies to the ASX, and most vehicles of this design age), you find that the auto box needs to "kick-down" to give some performance ... which invariably means you spend a lot of time at high revs, even at lower speeds. Depending on the engine noise levels and the vehicle acoustics, this often result in unpleasantly high noise levels in the cabin - we experienced this with many different brands. This is certainly not limited to just the CVT type box. To test this, test drive the manual Toyota Rush, then get into the auto Rush (hydraulic box) .. remeber your ear plugs !

With the current breed of high efficiency engines, smaller turbo charged with high torque at LOW revs, we found the auto boxes to be MUCH better. Less need to kick down, and when it does, it only lifts the revs to mid range. You really need to floor it hard to get the revs up high - which dont really help as the peak torque is low to mid range in any case. The result is a much quieter interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayefe View Post
    Would members please give me feedback on the
    1-Performance
    2-Towing capacity
    3-Reliability
    4- Maintenance costs
    5- Fuel consumption

of the ASX model AWD vehicle?

Your assistance is much appreciated .
    Would be very interesting to get first hand feedback on the towing capability ....

We settled on the Jetta with DSG. When towing I find it much smoother to set the gear selector to "S", the higher rev range compensates nicely for extra weight.

The one thing with an auto is that it cant see a trailer, nor a long hill ... so you get into a shuffle of applying throttle to get going, then slowing down since it oversped ..... With the DSG I switch to manual and select a gear when doing Sir Lowry's pass

This is a very small niggle. 99,9% of the time the DSG gets it RIGHT !

PS - with more experience I may well approach this differently ....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Would be very interesting to get first hand feedback on the towing capability ....

We settled on the Jetta with DSG. When towing I find it much smoother to set the gear selector to "S", the higher rev range compensates nicely for extra weight.

The one thing with an auto is that it cant see a trailer, nor a long hill ... so you get into a shuffle of applying throttle to get going, then slowing down since it oversped ..... With the DSG I switch to manual and select a gear when doing Sir Lowry's pass

This is a very small niggle. 99,9% of the time the DSG gets it RIGHT !

PS - with more experience I may well approach this differently ....
    Most Auto's with Sport (S) mode, will advise in the manual to switch to (S) when towing...

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

I still prefer modern conventional autos with torque converters. Their robust design makes them very reliable, especially when fitted with coolers. And if they have a lockup torque converter they compete very closely with a manual in terms of fuel economy.

SO .... we took the plunge.

After driving the CVT, I felt it wasn't too bad, it's really suited for granny drivers .... which my wife is. And on the highway, it's actually a pleasure. Needless to say, for a 2018 factory demo with 9500km on it, retailing at 320k .... we paid 259 900 and took delivery on Saturday. Happy wife.... Happy everything
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	516181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	516182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	516183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	516184  

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Congrats !!!!!!

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide

After driving the CVT, I felt it wasn't too bad, it's really suited for granny drivers .... which my wife is. And on the highway, it's actually a pleasure. Needless to say, for a 2018 factory demo with 9500km on it, retailing at 320k .... we paid 259 900 and took delivery on Saturday. Happy wife.... Happy everything
    Congrats. It is a great car. Just observe the gearbox oil change intervals and towing weight limits and it will last you a VERY long time.

Happy motoring. It is a pretty car I must admit. Especially the new ones.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Sorry only saw your post now. My DIL has had an ASX with CVT for about 2 years now and she is a hooligan whereas my son is no slouch either and as a family car they are very happy with it. My son simply does not tow with it and they have had no issues at all with it.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Congrats!
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Congrats. It is a great car. Just observe the gearbox oil change intervals and towing weight limits and it will last you a VERY long time.

Happy motoring. It is a pretty car I must admit. Especially the new ones.
    Thanks. Will keep an eye on it and make sure it's done. Won't be towing with it ... that's the Triton's duty 8)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast