Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Engine conversion: Forward Control

Quote Originally Posted by Jan234 View Post
    I will be tackling this same problem in the future having bought a 2A FC sans engine.

I look at a different engine every week and at the moment the VW 1.9tdi(ALH) has caught my eye.
    This was fitted to the Golf4 and in stock form is capable of pulling slightly more skin off custard than the standard series engines - 66kw and 210nm.
    They are apparently very robust and easily tuned to silly figures, so there is room to grow.
    I saw specs on the VW Sharon with this engine, that had a GVM of 2600kg and towing capacity of 2000kg - if I'm correct and you are allowed to combine those figures, that's 4.6tons!

Anyone have thoughts on this engine?
    Was the 1.9TDi not released in SA as the Pumpe-DŁse from the outset, i.e. 81kW and 235Nm? Did the 66kW ALH ever come to SA?
    ZS6VL

I will be tackling this same problem in the future having bought a 2A FC sans engine.

I look at a different engine every week and at the moment the VW 1.9tdi(ALH) has caught my eye.
    This was fitted to the Golf4 and in stock form is capable of pulling slightly more skin off custard than the standard series engines - 66kw and 210nm.
    They are apparently very robust and easily tuned to silly figures, so there is room to grow.
    I saw specs on the VW Sharon with this engine, that had a GVM of 2600kg and towing capacity of 2000kg - if I'm correct and you are allowed to combine those figures, that's 4.6tons!

itís a great motor for automotive applications, but the FC is essentially a small truck. The 1.9 is a motor that wants some revs.... I donít think itís going to work well in the FC, especially with 9x16 tires and a heavy camper rig fitted.

Merc OM606, with hybrid pump and you will be good to go.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Exactly..... youíve gotta look at the sweet spot - working rpm.
    Looking at paper specs- kW & torque are at a certain rpm. I seriously doubt that youíll be happy with the engine screaming along at 6500 rpm

Thatís where the Chev 4100 is king - max torque at 1600 rpm ( not that I would recommend it in a FC - unless you own a petrol station)

Thanks for the input(and sorry about the post hi-jack).

Of course, my first joice would be a Rover V8, to keep it all in the LR family.
    But, since I already own one and am very familiar with how much juice it takes to go on tour, that isn't an option really.
    I day dreamed about the GMC V8 diesel for exactly 1 day. Nice economy, lots of power and makes the correct V8 noises, but it would be like hanging a Chubb safe over the front axle(the cab is there too after all).
    Every engine seems to be ideal, until you read about either 'common faults', expensive spares, cooling issues etc

The max torque of the 1.9tdi comes in at 1900, the Amarok's is coincidentally around 2000rpm as well and I believe those vehicles performed well?

I acknowledge that the FC is not your run of the mill car or bakkie. I did have an idea to find a complete Disco 1 and move the axles, gearbox and transfer case to the FC. It's scary to see how narrow the axles on a 2A are, especially from the rear. This would gain me about 100mm in track width, disc brakes and 'modern' LR gearing.
    As for tyres, the only 900x16 I've seen so far are intended for plant machinery with a max speed rating of 30-40kph.
    The max I can find are 315/75(35" vs 36" of the 9x16).

With the limited mileage I'll be doing with this truck one day, boosting a small engine for more power can't be such a bad idea? For reference, I've put about 25k km on my Disco in 7 years.
    Last edited by Jan234; 2021/05/12 at 10:05 PM.
    2001 Disco 2 V8 XS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4