Post office strike - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Post office strike

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Please tell me how the remote overseas party knows what tariffs to apply, (especially seeing as SARS doesn't seem to know ) and how they are mandated by SARS to do so on their behalf, and how SARS gets reimbursed with said duties.

------

Maybe there is something I need to learn here. I probably import something at least once at week and at any one time I can have up to 10 parcels in transit. Right now I have 4.

Amazon does the calculations, I had a fight with them a few years ago because they didn't get the charges right, but nowadays they are very accurate, much more so than customs/local agents.

I think that there is a local party involved on this side, but I have never been able to get the details of that, they don't divulge the name.

But one of the reasons why there are so few issues is that Amazon obviously makes sure that the classifications are correct, and they apply the correct rates and formulae.

There are some 3rd party sellers on Amazon that don't offer this, but they will typically not ship to SA anyway.

I usually use Amazon (USA, UK, DE) for everything now, even if the items costs a bit more, just because everything works so seamlessly.
    Last edited by Jola; 2018/08/15 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    Amazon does the calculations, I had a fight with them a few years ago because they didn't get the charges right, but nowadays they are very accurate, much more so than customs/local agents.

I think that there is a local party involved on this side, but I have never been able to get the details of that, they don't divulge the name.

But one of the reasons why there are so few issues is that Amazon obviously makes sure that the classifications are correct, and they apply the correct rates and formulae.

There are some 3rd party sellers on Amazon that don't offer this, but they will typically not ship to SA anyway.
    I would like to see a screen dump of that from a dummy AMAZON purchase. (Not being aggressive, genuinely interested)

I just tried that since my last post here. Cant find any options for this from a dummy Cart I entered.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

I usually use Amazon (USA, UK, DE) for everything now, even if the items costs a bit more, just because everything works so seamlessly.
    the only way this can happen is through an EDI portal to SARS, with a valid and up to date tariff code book also only supplied by SARS

and there are a very limited number of companies that are allowed an EDI pipe into SARS
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

with my parcel that arrived in SA according to ebay & Netherland Post tracking online searches, but SA
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBay.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	498790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAPOST.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	498791

sa post website gives an number that does not get answered, and while holding they recommend you email them. When you send mail to said email address it returns...

no wonder no one uses that service, and that there are so many courier companies around.

Amazon Global and Amazon Global Store offer customers customs duties, taxes and fees ("Import Fees") estimation during checkout and customs clearance on your behalf for certain eligible countries.

When you buy products sold and shipped from outside your country, you or the recipient are responsible for paying import taxes and duties based on the laws of the country into which the products are being delivered. With your authorisation, Amazon will estimate the Import Fees Deposit from you. The carrier or another agent will then use this to pay the Import Fees on your behalf (or the recipient's behalf) to the appropriate customs and tax authorities of the destination country.
    The Import Fees Deposit is an estimation of the taxes and duties that may apply and isn't an actual calculation of the taxes and duties. Customs regulations and tax rates applicable to certain goods may change between the order date and the date of entry. In addition, classification of goods in various countries and regions may be different.
    If the actual Import Fees are less than the deposit amount collected by Amazon on your behalf, you'll automatically be refunded the difference to the payment method you used for the order. You'll receive a notification e-mail to confirm the amount of the refund. The refund process takes up to 60 days from the dispatch date.
    For items sold by Amazon EU Sarl or Amazon Export Sales, LLC (Amazon US), you won't be charged any additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit amount we estimated. For items sold by other Marketplace Sellers, please check the applicable Seller's policies.

Name:	Amazon01.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	498792

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    with my parcel that arrived in SA according to ebay & Netherland Post tracking online searches, but SA

Name:	EBay.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	498790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAPOST.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	498791

sa post website gives an number that does not get answered, and while holding they recommend you email them. When you send mail to said email address it returns...

no wonder no one uses that service, and that there are so many courier companies around.
    Probably stopped at customs, they are worried you are importing some more Jan's..
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Amazon is awesome, import duties calculated and paid in the cart upfront and they sort out everything.

From what I can see the cart duties are just very accurate estimates only and the shipments are no doubt still cleared and processed through customs like any other parcel. Because I have had refunds from amazon when the actual duties charged were less than amazon's cart estimation, that is great because you never pay more than the estimation but if its less you get the refund.

To track international parcels once they are in Sa try 17track.net. No clue how they do it but you punch in the intl tracking number and destination country and they track it, often even when Sapo themselves can't track it.

Name:	Amazon01.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	498792
    Just had a look and read AMAZON's material on Duties Deposit.

The reason you experience no delay was because you are paying for a Courier. (15 GBP) The Import duties you pay Amazon is a "Deposit" amount allocated to the courier, payed by the courier to SARS on your behalf.

So the process is pretty much what I said before. If you use a Courier/Clearance House you effectively bypass the physical SARS process and hence the SARS delays.

You will find this isn't available for normal Postal and Free Shipping services.

---------------------

However, this is new to me. Thank you for the added information.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Probably stopped at customs, they are worried you are importing some more Jan's..
    Often it is more on the post office side. It arrives to post office and it can easily take a month to get from PO to customs. I think they are in the same building. After customs it must get to the correct post office. Post office confirmed that normally it takes 3 weeks from East Rand to West Rand. What it would take to get some other parts of the country who knows. These are times when there is no strike.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Please tell me how the remote overseas party knows what tariffs to apply, (especially seeing as SARS doesn't seem to know )
    Concur. Imported a part for the Jimny from the UK, and gave a screenshot from the latest Customs & Tarriffs book off the SARS website of the applicable import code line for the part to TNT Express, who transported and cleared it. They came back and said there is no such code on the system they connect with to SARS. The book has been updated since, seems like very regularly, and that code is still is there.
    Last edited by jab2; 2018/08/15 at 04:05 PM.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny, M18A, EFS suspension, Maniac 4x4 Manufacturing bumpers, Stofpad underbody protection.
    Ex 1979 Mercedes Benz 416.162 Unimog
    Ex 1982 Datnis (mixed Datsun/Nissan badged) Safari 2.8 Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    To track international parcels once they are in Sa try 17track.net. No clue how they do it but you punch in the intl tracking number and destination country and they track it, often even when Sapo themselves can't track it.
    Does not work for me. Two parcels, from two different companies, left China both on 11 May by air. I assume same flight. Both still show on 17track.net as having left China, but not having arrived in SA. Another tracking website had the one parcel as having arrived in SA on the 14th May. I cannot however figure out which site that was as all the ones I not have that does track the numbers, show both as being airborne now for more than 3 months.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny, M18A, EFS suspension, Maniac 4x4 Manufacturing bumpers, Stofpad underbody protection.
    Ex 1979 Mercedes Benz 416.162 Unimog
    Ex 1982 Datnis (mixed Datsun/Nissan badged) Safari 2.8 Pickup

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3