New Member - Advice Please

Default New Member - Advice Please

Hi and thanks for the opportunity to join such a great site. Firstly I am in need of some assistance. I am from Pietermaritzburg in KZN and a while back I purchased a Jeep 2 door Wrangler JK. I have allways wanted a petrol sucking V8 to drive around on the weekends. I reciently started shoping around for prices on fitting a V8 to my Jeep. I recieved a quote this week for R550 000 for the fitting of a 6.4 Hemi to my Jeep. After the inevetiable extras I will probably be in for over 600k. On a 2010 jeep this is just not viable. I have been down the road of someome fitting a lexus V8 into another vehicle and this just cost me so much money and eventually i ended up giving away the vehicle as it never ran well. Very frustrating. I see AEV offer a full kit and all that needs to be supplied is the 5.7 Hemi engine which is the same as comes out of a 2009/10 Jeep Cherokee. I am really tired of starting a project like this and I end up paying someone a lot of money for something that never really works.
    Is there any advice please. Thanks again.

Default Re: New Member - Advice Please

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have the 3.6 Penta motor in your JK? Going the supercharged route is probably better, but spending about R120k can have you driving around in a fully functional WK Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 V8 HEMI and all the bells and whistles, that sounds like the best option in my book...

The V8 conversion can be done and has been done (using a Jeep motor), but there are more disaster stories than success stories as far as I'm concerned, and it is a massive amount of money to spend...

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds
    '01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Do you have the 3.6 Penta motor in your JK? Going the supercharged route is probably better, but spending about R120k can have you driving around in a fully functional WK Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 V8 HEMI and all the bells and whistles, that sounds like the best option in my book...

The V8 conversion can be done and has been done (using a Jeep motor), but there are more disaster stories than success stories as far as I'm concerned, and it is a massive amount of money to spend...

I have the 3.8 JK. I did import a RIFF supercharger but after 6 months with an expert programer we still cannot get it to run properley. I have also spent quite a bit on a bilstine lift kit and 33" wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Coinvest View Post
    Is there any advice please. Thanks again.
    A better conversion is surely an Gen4 LS Chev V8? Why a MOPAR Hemi?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

I was going for the Hemi as there was a complete conversion kit available. I am really not fussy which V8 gets installed just as long as its not a lexus. Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by Coinvest View Post
    I was going for the Hemi as there was a complete conversion kit available. I am really not fussy which V8 gets installed just as long as its not a lexus. Ha Ha .
    there are LOTS of LS kits as well

and plenty more ECU and harness options for the GM engines

Where is Grips and Locklaw when you need them?

And isn't Zone Offroad a member here?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Coinvest welcome!

Maybe post in the Jeep section as the response should be better.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4