Newbie- offroad interest

Default Newbie- offroad interest

Good evening
    I'm Alroy, from Capetown.

I recently joined this forum after spending "too many hours" on it everyday for the past week or so.
    I developed a completely new interest in offroading (not serious 4X4) for a few years now after watching vehicle programs on tv for a few years (Weg Agterpaaie, Voetspore, Auto Mundial, Drive It, Buyer's Guide, Ignition GT, La't Wiel etc.). I stumbled upon this forum during googling. I don't know a single person who's doing this (in my circle). By offroading I mean driving gravel roads/ passes, visiting remote towns/ villages, places that most city people won't consider.

I have 3 brothers- in- law driving Nissan Hardbody 4x2, Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x2 and Jeep Cherokee 4X4, but none of them ever go offroad. I've once done the 90km Seweweekspoort road between Zoar and Laingsburg, of which 60 km are gravel, in my Polo TSi and it was not too bad, but won't do it again in it. I was the only car on that road, the rest bakkies and SUV's. Once i've paid off my super economical Polo, I will be in the market for ,.... hmmmm?
    I would like to own a 4x4/ AWD at least once, even if only for 5- 7 years.

I have enough time to read up, and i've already learnt a lot just by browsing this forum, Jislaaikit, you guys have lots of info and experience of vehicles and places (everything).
    Thanks for an excellent forum (I'm Afrikaans speaking)

Alroy Davey

Default Re: Newbie- offroad interest

"By offroading I mean driving gravel roads/ passes, visiting remote towns/ villages, places that most city people won't consider. "

ja dis eintlik "overlanding"

offroading is Atlantis Dunes en trails

Maar welkom.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Welcome Alroy, hope you pay of your Polo soon & get a nice off roader
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

Hi Guys.
    Thanks for the welcome, and correction. I always wondered what "overland" means.
    No sand, mud and big rocks for me, just gravel travel.

Welcome. Sure you will get the info you need here.

I am also just and overlander i.e. I do not do trails etc. But, while overlanding, you sometimes have to

Hope you get to replace your Polo soon!! My brother, who is in PTA, also recently bought a new Tiguan because of the same interest. Quite happy so far with it
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Thanks Nys.
    I didn't intend to "replace" my Polo but do buy an additional recreational vehicle 2nd hand for weekends and holidays and keep my Polo for town driving- actually it depends on what I eventually purchase. I don't want to use a big heavy vehicle for everyday use. I have not even looked at the Tiguan although I'm on my 3rd Polo but will read more about Tiguan. This Polo really spoiled me as I get 800 km around town and more on long trips. I went from Capetown to Kimberley on a full tank (about 930 km). At my age i'm not in a hurry anywhere,..... meaning I don't have a heavy right foot. I've noticed some bias towards Japanese vehicles when buying 2nd hand on this forum and has limited my reading to those up to now. I still have lots to learn.
    Thanks

How about replacing the Polo with a Jimny ?

There is not much that'll beat the fuel economy of a TSi but the reduced costs of only having one vehicle should even out. If just you and the wife, a Jimny will do fine.

Whatever you decide, do it soon; there are just too many roads to be explored !

Welcome and good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RussellF For This Useful Post: