Advise needed between 3 doublecabs

Default Advise needed between 3 doublecabs

Hi everyone

I am in a bit of a quandary here. I am in the market for my first ever 4x4 (very excited about this) and have 3 identified, but I am not sure which one to consider.
    I currently drive a 2009 Triton 2.5 DC 4x2 (or is it 2x4) and love the car, but it is getting a bit old in the tooth and I would like to have a family car that can last for a long time.

The 3 options I have identified are as follows:
    * 2013 Toyota Hilux 3l D4D 4x4 DC - 143k km on the clock - R285k
    * 2015 Triton 2.5 High Power DC - 96k km on the clock - R289k
    * 2012 Ranger 3.2 Auto DC - 52k km on the clock - R300k

The pro's I can identify are as follows
    * Toyota - Stable brand, good aftermarket support centers, holds resale value very well
    * Triton - Relatively young vehicle, I know and like the Mitsubishi brand as the Triton is my 2nd Mitsu, relatively low-ish miles on the car for the amount of driving I do (14k per year)
    * Ranger - Good Support enters around. Very low milage

Con's from my side:
    * Toyota - has higher mileage than the other 3, tires seems to be more road oriented and will have to be replaced when overlanding and 4x4'ing
    * Triton - apparently has a replacement engine fitted by Mitsu under warranty. Reasons yet unknown (waiting on feedback around this) and not sure what the warranty is on the new motor, Is this a concern?? What should I be on the lookout for?
    * Ranger - What are the possible issues with the 2012 3.2 Auto rangers? Gearboxes and transmissions/engine issues? Age is also a bit high but acceptable.

any input would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Advise needed between 3 doublecabs

any input would be greatly appreciated -------------------------------------------------------------base on your options, Keep your current bakkie unless you didn't tell us something wrong about it ?
    Isuzu KB300 2012 Auto - King
    Toyota Rav4 - Queen

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mxiki For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mxiki View Post
    any input would be greatly appreciated -------------------------------------------------------------base on your options, Keep your current bakkie unless you didn't tell us something wrong about it ?
    Tehnically speaking, nothing wrong with my current trokkie, except for it not being 4x4

Hilux, but then Im biased

Looking at it with an open mind I would say its between the Ford and the Hilux, this also is dependent on the reason for the Tritons new engine. I suppose the Triton is the only one still with a warranty?

Tough choice. Good luck.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    Tehnically speaking, nothing wrong with my current trokkie, except for it not being 4x4
    Then my vote will be another triton
    Isuzu KB300 2012 Auto - King
    Toyota Rav4 - Queen

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mxiki For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Hilux, but then Im biased

Looking at it with an open mind I would say its between the Ford and the Hilux, this also is dependent on the reason for the Tritons new engine. I suppose the Triton is the only one still with a warranty?

Tough choice. Good luck.
    Thank you Caracal. I am so confused I feel like a "verkleurmannetjie op n Smartie boksie"
    I am still waiting on the full report on when the engine was replaced by Mitsu, what caused the failure and also if there is still a warranty on the engine. I think this will be one of the deal makers or breakers

Thank you Caracal. I am so confused I feel like a "verkleurmannetjie op n Smartie boksie"
    I am still waiting on the full report on when the engine was replaced by Mitsu, what caused the failure and also if there is still a warranty on the engine. I think this will be one of the deal makers or breakers
    From what I read in the Mitsu section there was a recall on some models of the 2.5 and engine swap was done as a preventative measure on some of the vehicles.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Those 2.5 Mitsu motors had a bad batch that call got recalled for overheating.

Ford - carry a fire extinguisher

Toyota - carry a firearm

Those Triton's are great but spares and dealers will leave you wanting a different brand.

Option would be - Hilux or Ranger
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Why no Isuzu on your list, Good solid reliable vehicles, Spares readily obtainable, even for my 1998 model. Still running strong after 182000 klms .with never any problems. Have changed oil and filter every 3000 klms. That is 60 expensive oil changes but well worth it .My Jeep Grand Cherokee is getting the same treatment.

Mercenaries never die, they just go to hell to regroup.

Quote Originally Posted by mercenary View Post
    Why no Isuzu on your list, Good solid reliable vehicles, Spares readily obtainable, even for my 1998 model. Still running strong after 182000 klms .with never any problems. Have changed oil and filter every 3000 klms. That is 60 expensive oil changes but well worth it .My Jeep Grand Cherokee is getting the same treatment.
    Mercenaries never die, they just go to hell to regroup.
    Hi mercenary
    Suzies aren't off my list completely. The reason they are not more to the top is mainly due to the service I have received from them in the past when I had to have my cars serviced by them. School fees paid I am afraid.
    I am not disputing that the Suzies are great and capable vehicles. A friend of mine has one and gets the newer model every 2 years, so the justification and evidence is there.
    I have my mind (and heart) set on 2 vehicles until MarcoR (Thanks MarcoR) set the cat amoungst the pigeons. Now it is a case of choosing from 3 vehicles.
    1x Triton 2.5 HP DC 4x4
    1x Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto DC 4x4
    1x Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS Manual DC 4x4

To all the experts out here, one thing I wanted to ask before is, how does the Ford 4x4 system (say on the 2.2 XLS) compare to the Mitsu's Super Select 4x4? That may play a big part in choosing the right one.

Choices choices

Hi Jacques. I had a 2014 Triton, then a 2017 Ranger 2.2 XLS, and now a new shape Triton. I'm a big Mitsu fan so obviously a bit biased, but I would go for the Triton. The super select 4x4 system is just so much better than anything else. Remember, you can leave it in 4H which is basically an all wheel drive mode. The Ranger is nice, and nothing wrong with it. But I've heard so many horror stories of things going wrong. And on mine there were a couple of issues, mostly build quality that had me questioning the longevity of the vehicle. Otherwise it was a really nice vehicle, but it just didn't grow on me if you know what I mean. The 3.2 Ranger I hear is a bit heavier on fuel, and in terms of power no noticeable difference from the 2.2, except when you start towing.
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    The 3.2 Ranger I hear is a bit heavier on fuel, and in terms of power no noticeable difference from the 2.2, except when you start towing.
    Hi Leeubok, excellent information, Thank you!

The one Ranger I am looking at is a 2012 3.2 Auto and in immaculate condition with 52k on the clock. Not a mark on the body, not even a stone chip or a slight scratch. Interior is perfect for a 6 year old. When planting the foot on the "loud" pedal, it flexes it's muscles properly and I could feel the difference between it and the Triton. Sure, the Ranger does indicate a 12l/100km (8.3km\l) consumption whereby it will be around 11+km\l on the Triton. So running costs will be less expensive on the Triton. The Manual 3.2's will be around 9-10km\l which is acceptable if driven properly.
    The Triton I have in mind, seems to have had a tough life, engine replaced at 36k km under warranty and the bin is in bad shape (not rubberized) and almost all the paint is gone, with some bad dings. It seems to have been owned by a builder as there is still solid cement and paint in the tailgate hinges.

Pity about the hard life for the Triton... I was about to concede that the AWD was definitely a big advantage...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Hi Leeubok, excellent information, Thank you!

The one Ranger I am looking at is a 2012 3.2 Auto and in immaculate condition with 52k on the clock. Not a mark on the body, not even a stone chip or a slight scratch. Interior is perfect for a 6 year old. When planting the foot on the "loud" pedal, it flexes it's muscles properly and I could feel the difference between it and the Triton. Sure, the Ranger does indicate a 12l/100km (8.3km\l) consumption whereby it will be around 11+km\l on the Triton. So running costs will be less expensive on the Triton. The Manual 3.2's will be around 9-10km\l which is acceptable if driven properly.
    The Triton I have in mind, seems to have had a tough life, engine replaced at 36k km under warranty and the bin is in bad shape (not rubberized) and almost all the paint is gone, with some bad dings. It seems to have been owned by a builder as there is still solid cement and paint in the tailgate hinges.
    Then maybe keep on searching until you find one in better condition?
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    Then maybe keep on searching until you find one in better condition?
    That is exactly what I will be doing. From what I have read, seen on Youtube etc is I really want that Superselect in the Triton
    To find a 2015 these days are like gold plated hens teeth

That is exactly what I will be doing. From what I have read, seen on Youtube etc is I really want that Superselect in the Triton
    To find a 2015 these days are like gold plated hens teeth
    2014 - https://www.autotrader.co.za/used-ca...result-index=1

2015 - https://www.cars.co.za/mobile/for-sa...sland/3653220/

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Hi Riaan
    Dankie vir jou info! Die bruin 2015 een by Paarden Eiland is juis die een wat die harde lewe gehad het en sy bak agter in n slegte toestand is en wie se engin op 36k km vervang is in 2016. Ek het regtig baie in hom belang gestel.
    Die 2014 sal ek so bietjie ondersoek

Hi Riaan
    Dankie vir jou info! Die bruin 2015 een by Paarden Eiland is juis die een wat die harde lewe gehad het en sy bak agter in n slegte toestand is en wie se engin op 36k km vervang is in 2016. Ek het regtig baie in hom belang gestel.
    Die 2014 sal ek so bietjie ondersoek
    Het nie geweet Jacques- het uit interessantheid geloer op twee webwerwe vir die Triton's, jy is reg die 2015's is skaars.

Ding is met die Triton, as jy hom eers ry sukkel jy met ander goed so die mense hou hulle. Maandag was hier man met so grys 2015, siende dat ek ook Mitsu ry begin ons gesels en ek vra maar die gewone goed: hoe loop die bakkie/ enige moeilikhei ens en die ou kan ne ophou praat oor hoe goed sy bakkie is. S hy gaan hom nie inruil nie so daar lose jy ook uit..

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Het nie geweet Jacques- het uit interessantheid geloer op twee webwerwe vir die Triton's, jy is reg die 2015's is skaars.

Ding is met die Triton, as jy hom eers ry sukkel jy met ander goed so die mense hou hulle. Maandag was hier man met so grys 2015, siende dat ek ook Mitsu ry begin ons gesels en ek vra maar die gewone goed: hoe loop die bakkie/ enige moeilikhei ens en die ou kan ne ophou praat oor hoe goed sy bakkie is. S hy gaan hom nie inruil nie so daar lose jy ook uit..
    Ek waardeer die moeite wat jy gedoen het Riaan. Jammer as dit nie so deur gekom het nie.
    Met betrekking tot die beskikbaarheid van die 2.5 HP Tritons, ek dink ook dit het baie tedoen met die feit dat daar so min van hulle nuut verkoop word in SA, so dit het natuurlik ook n impak op die 2de handse beskikbaarheid. Ek is ook maar n Mitsu man, my 2de dubbelcab in 8 jaar waar my eerste die 2.4 Petrol Colt DC was. Nou wil ek maar iets kry wat my meer funksionaliteit gee mbt 4x4. n mens boer mos altyd vooruit! Ek wil die wereld rondom my gaan sien en ervaar en as ek my bergfiets, tent etc ook kan oplaai sal dit n absolute fees wees.

[QUOTE=Jacques_Nel;3959016]Hi everyone

I am in a bit of a quandary here. I am in the market for my first ever 4x4 (very excited about this) and have 3 identified, but I am not sure which one to consider.
    I currently drive a 2009 Triton 2.5 DC 4x2 (or is it 2x4) and love the car, but it is getting a bit old in the tooth and I would like to have a family car that can last for a long time.

How serious are you about off roading, Have a look here at new vehicle prices http://www.newcardeals.co.za/new-cars/ford/ranger. for an extra 30K over what you are willing to pay you can get a brand new double cab with tow bar and Diff lock. this will take you most places you will want to go unless you want to do some serious 4x4 trails. The advantage you have is a 5 year warranty and service plan thrown in,

29. The Following User Says Thank You to nigelgeast For This Useful Post: