Caravan stone protector

Default Caravan stone protector

Just returned from a 5000km Namib trip and thought to give some info on the stone protector I made to add to the forum collective knowledge.
    Build detail to follow

This was the second trip that gave me the opportunity to fine tune the design.
    I had a look at multiple ideas and I favor the net between vehicle and trailer /caravan because it imparts best protection.
    I met some fellow travelers with decent rubber flaps that found stones on the roof of their caravans, so not 100%. That said it does have some advantages over a net as well.
    VW Amarok 3.0
    Invader duo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oswald For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Caravan stone protector

Material :
    2x3m shade net
    2x2m 20mm electric conduit pipe
    2x2m 25 mm electric conduit pipe
    Cable ties 7,8 mm; 4,7 mm
    Aprox 5m x10 mm heavy duty bungee cord
    Aprox 3m 2mm bungee cord
    3 m Nylon ski rope
    Aprox 5-10 m very thin nylon rope

The with of the net should be slightly wider than your vehicle, 2m should be fine.I cut 2m lengths of 20 and 25 mm conduit pipe that fit into each other for extra strength for the front and back of the net. Bend the front pvc pipe to the shape of the rear bumper to leave as few gaps for stones as possible. I used a spring bender.
    Fold the net double and fasten the front pipe where the net folds onto itself using small cable ties.
    Fasten the rear straight pvc pipe to the open end of the net using small cable ties. The pvc pipe should be enveloped by the net.
    The front pvc pipe I fitted to holes below and on the side of my bumper with strong cable ties and with a short piece of bungee cord to the tow bar. Take ektra cable ties if it breaks and for attaching and detataching when you remove it on tarred roads.
    All cable ties should be inserted into the nwt fabric and around the pvc conduit.

The front net sits below the tow bar and the rear of the net should move freely below the a frame of the trailer. Make sure you don't have any sharp protrusions below the aframe to catch the net.
    Next drill holes in the sides of the rear pvc pipe 30 mm from the end. Attach the heavy duty bungee cord very sturdy to pipe AND net otherwise it will pull free. Look for a ancor point high up on the back of your caravan /trailer. The bungee cord should pull fairly tight back and upwards toavoid the net flapping. It should also be long enough to allow enough flex for sharp turns.
    To avoid the net scraping the ground during sharp turns, I tightened thin bungee cord around the front and rear pvc pipes and then attached the net ti it in afew places using small cable ties. This effectivly bundles the net on turns, preventing it to drag on the ground. I used two cords on each side about 100 mm from the edge of the net.
    Finally the sides of the net are prone to flapping so I attached the nylon ski rope to it (to add some weight and rigidity)using a very thin nylon strand and hand stiching it to the (double) sides of the net. Cable ties will also work.
    Hope it makes sense !
    Also make sure your exhaust does not point close to the net, it can easy melt.
    VW Amarok 3.0
    Invader duo

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oswald For This Useful Post: