Improved CVT?

Thread: Improved CVT?

Default Improved CVT?

I was reading reviews/Youtube on the new soon to be launched Toyota Auris and see it comes out with a totally reworked CVT using a 'normal' 1st (launch)gear and is a 'virtual' 10 speed.....with paddle shift nogal

Quote: Toyota's claim of improved off-the-line responsiveness is realized every time I pulled away from a traffic light or stop sign. No, the launch gear doesn't transform the Corolla Hatch into a sport compact, but throughout the entire speed range, the new transmission feels a lot more normal and transparent. The transition between fixed and continuous operation was a fairly seamless, feeling as smooth and uneventful as any other automatic transmission. That's pretty high praise for a CVT....stomp the accelerator for a pass, grab a paddle shifter or otherwise drive aggressively, the CVT can switch to "10-speed Sequential Shiftmatic" operation, holding and shifting between 10 preset ratios to mimic the revving and shifting of a conventional automatic transmissions.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/h...hift-cvt-work/
    FJC - Just Cruising

Default Re: Improved CVT?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I was reading reviews/Youtube on the new soon to be launched Toyota Auris and see it comes out with a totally reworked CVT using a 'normal' 1st (launch)gear and is a 'virtual' 10 speed.....with paddle shift nogal

Quote: Toyota's claim of improved off-the-line responsiveness is realized every time I pulled away from a traffic light or stop sign. No, the launch gear doesn't transform the Corolla Hatch into a sport compact, but throughout the entire speed range, the new transmission feels a lot more normal and transparent. The transition between fixed and continuous operation was a fairly seamless, feeling as smooth and uneventful as any other automatic transmission. That's pretty high praise for a CVT....stomp the accelerator for a pass, grab a paddle shifter or otherwise drive aggressively, the CVT can switch to "10-speed Sequential Shiftmatic" operation, holding and shifting between 10 preset ratios to mimic the revving and shifting of a conventional automatic transmissions.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/h...hift-cvt-work/
    I've owned a 2008 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT and it was a car neither myself or my wife could gel with. The box and the engine just didn't work together. The one time I really hustled it using the 7 speed paddle shift, it popped an oil filled engine mount.

We currently own a Koleos 2.5 CVT and it really is such a pleasure to drive, adapting your driving to the car's nature is very easy. The car really is very quick off the line. I.e. Taking off at a stop light, taking a gap in traffic.

Really the same story with the Honda Insight CVT I'm driving. And that has stop/start at robots as well.

Can't see the need for a special first gear.

My mom had a 99 Merc E240. That thing was scary at junctions. Press the accelerator and about 5 seconds pass before anything happens. Not funny.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2013 Renault Koleos 2.5 CVT 4x4 Dynamique