Buying Advice - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Buying Advice

Default Re: Buying Advice

If you are gonna go the double cab route I would suggest the 2.5 SRX hilux over the petrol 2.7. The older Isuzu's are also very well known for their reliability and are capable off road.

Here is a fully kitted Isuzu frontier for 109k

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...70910077034209

I guess the only issue is going to be parking space...

Seeing you listed the 3.8 and the 2.8 petrol vehicles it seems fuel consumption is not a major role player.

Look at the Jeep Cherokee 3.7 V6 and Jeep Grand Cherokee's 3.6 V6, 3.0 CRD Dieslel and 4.7l V8's.
    Fantastic value for money, excellent 4x4 chops, luxurious and reliable with ample space that can be picked up for a steal.
    Last edited by Nox; 2018/08/20 at 11:43 AM.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Sport KK
    Previous:
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ

Post Re: Buying Advice

And...

Meet Miley, my 209 000km SWB Pajero 3.5!
    Runs beautifully with some bush rash already and came with an incredibly clean service history filled with invoices!
    Bought from the Pajero expert Renegade whom some of you might know. What a great experience!

She even fits in the parking spot (with mirrors retracted )!

Thanks for all the help everyone.
    It has been fantastic.
    Hoping to see some of you out there soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_20.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	499413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_20 (1).jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	499414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_20 (3).jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	499415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_20 (2).jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	499416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180821_192257819.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	303.1 KB 
ID:	499417  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandjie For This Useful Post:

Sed

Quote Originally Posted by Brandjie View Post
    And...

Meet Miley, my 209 000km SWB Pajero 3.5!
    Runs beautifully with some bush rash already and came with an incredibly clean service history filled with invoices!
    Bought from the Pajero expert Renegade whom some of you might know. What a great experience!

She even fits in the parking spot (with mirrors retracted )!

Thanks for all the help everyone.
    It has been fantastic.
    Hoping to see some of you out there soon!
    Congrats! Many happy miles!
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Congrats!!!

With the second fill up at the pumps you will realise it's actually a 3.8..

I am green with jealousy.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Congrats, beauty that
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Ag wiele man! Congratulations; the comfort, luxury, space and high speed capability/stability will make you proud of your decision for as long as you own a Pajero. A much better all-rounder than a Jimny, Defender 90, Wrangler 2-door or softie. Remember to post some action pics of your first off-road trip! What year is it from?
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Ag wiele man! Congratulations; the comfort, luxury, space and high speed capability/stability will make you proud of your decision for as long as you own a Pajero. A much better all-rounder than a Jimny, Defender 90, Wrangler 2-door or softie. Remember to post some action pics of your first off-road trip! What year is it from?
    Definitely the best all rounder I could find, especially with a meticulous service history and invoices. Also has OME shocks and coils. Cannot wait for my first excursion! Will be in Langebaan this weekend and see what's up there.

It is a 2003 model. You can see the facelift (round fog lights). However, it is the 3.5 so there is no traction control (instead a rear diff lock like the pre facelift). Also, it does not have the optional sunroof but it is one of the rare SWB models that came with the factory dual battery system.

Currently sitting on 8.2km/l (on board computer) by controlling myself... Will see how it goes over the long term though! It wants to make noise

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandjie For This Useful Post:

Brandjie, I'd also be looking at Freelander 2's. May stretch to R180k, a lot of car, great capability, forum members say very reliable, for a daily driver 4x4 you will not get better?
    2012 Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Strange that is a 3.5 with no tc. Was under the impression the Gen3's were3.8's and all had tc, some with rear diff lock some without. So one learns.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Strange that is a 3.5 with no tc. Was under the impression the Gen3's were3.8's and all had tc, some with rear diff lock some without. So one learns.
    The little info there is on this stuff is ridiculous. I dug through tons of different forums trying to decipher everything. The 3.8's are fly by wire (i.e. electronic) throttle whereas the 3.5 is mechanical. TC relies on being able to electronically intervene throttle/brake control, hence, the 3.5 cannot have TC. The 3.8's were only released in late 2003, but the facelift happened earlier in 2003. Hence there are some 3.5 facelifts around. Unfortunately, despite thinking there might be an early 3.8 with both rear diff lock and traction control, there appears to be no such unicorn. Only for the LWB GLX owners. I am not certain about the 3.2 though as I did not do much research on the diesels. I contacted a few 3.2 owners with 2003 and 2004 models. They all said they had TC, but no rear diff lock.
    Hoping this little bit of info will help someone doing similar research one day.

Interesting, thanks Brandjie, really thought the Gen 3's all had tc. Nonetheless, you have bought a bloody nice car. The Pajero is like a Staffie, dependable, trustworthy and quickly endears and attaches itself to the owner.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2018/08/22 at 08:56 PM.

Congrats very clean looking "Shorty " you bought
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to meh For This Useful Post:

Definitely the best all rounder I could find, especially with a meticulous service history and invoices. Also has OME shocks and coils. Cannot wait for my first excursion! Will be in Langebaan this weekend and see what's up there.

It is a 2003 model. You can see the facelift (round fog lights). However, it is the 3.5 so there is no traction control (instead a rear diff lock like the pre facelift). Also, it does not have the optional sunroof but it is one of the rare SWB models that came with the factory dual battery system.

Currently sitting on 8.2km/l (on board computer) by controlling myself... Will see how it goes over the long term though! It wants to make noise
    You got lucky, most folks not bothered about a sun roof, would prefer a diff lock to TC and a dual battery system. Fantastic.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

HI guys
    im sorry to hijack this thread, I'm new to the forum and don't even own a 4x4 (yet!!)
    i have been looking around and what I'm after is a Pajero SWB 3.2DiD, my budget is a limiting factor as I'll only have around 170k to spend.
    so my questions are
    1) will I get a decent 2004 or older model for that price that has been looked after
    2) ideally I'd like to get a vehicle with less than 200000km, is this an important factor? Everyone says these engines are bullet proof but getting one with more than 200000km is risky?

It will be my everyday vehicle, I'm fortunate enough that I only have to travel 5km to work, so it's needs to be reliable and dependable.

thanks guys

The little info there is on this stuff is ridiculous. I dug through tons of different forums trying to decipher everything. The 3.8's are fly by wire (i.e. electronic) throttle whereas the 3.5 is mechanical. TC relies on being able to electronically intervene throttle/brake control, hence, the 3.5 cannot have TC. The 3.8's were only released in late 2003, but the facelift happened earlier in 2003. Hence there are some 3.5 facelifts around. Unfortunately, despite thinking there might be an early 3.8 with both rear diff lock and traction control, there appears to be no such unicorn. Only for the LWB GLX owners. I am not certain about the 3.2 though as I did not do much research on the diesels. I contacted a few 3.2 owners with 2003 and 2004 models. They all said they had TC, but no rear diff lock.
    Hoping this little bit of info will help someone doing similar research one day.
    Brandjie, just to add some info - my 2005 3.2 GLX LWB has diff lock only and no TC.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
    HI guys
    im sorry to hijack this thread, I'm new to the forum and don't even own a 4x4 (yet!!)
    i have been looking around and what I'm after is a Pajero SWB 3.2DiD, my budget is a limiting factor as I'll only have around 170k to spend.
    so my questions are
    1) will I get a decent 2004 or older model for that price that has been looked after
    2) ideally I'd like to get a vehicle with less than 200000km, is this an important factor? Everyone says these engines are bullet proof but getting one with more than 200000km is risky?

It will be my everyday vehicle, I'm fortunate enough that I only have to travel 5km to work, so it's needs to be reliable and dependable.

thanks guys
    Keep looking around for that bargain, they are out there, you may just have to be patient

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Keep looking around for that bargain, they are out there, you may just have to be patient
    Very few in Durban available, have seen one but I think the dealer is wanting a little to much. 2004 3.2DiD with 186000km going for R149900, trade on that is R96600 and retail R108900 so even with retail plus 10% they pushing it, unless the experts on here feel that's a good deal?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3