How long?

Thread: How long?

Default How long?

I have a Waeco CF50, my BH plug in the bin of my Triton is connected directly on to the Battery of the vehicle. So say i forget to unplug my fridge at a stop over, how long would it take before the Triton is dead in the water? On average .... ?

Default Re: How long?

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    I have a Waeco CF50, my BH plug in the bin of my Triton is connected directly on to the Battery of the vehicle. So say i forget to unplug my fridge at a stop over, how long would it take before the Triton is dead in the water? On average .... ?
    I may be wrong but doesnt the CF50 automatically switch off when it senses low battery?

Oooooo ... so many assumptions that can be made .....

1) the battery is FULLY charged when you stop
    2) it is a 100A.h batttery ... typically the vehicle battery would be LESS, so adjust as needed ..
    3) most important assumption - let's assume the fridge is down to temperature by the time you stop ....
    4) Let's assume you stop late afternoon, after the heat of the day ....
    5) Let's work with the classic 2,5A average current usage ... many fridges draw more than this !!

Under these conditions the fridge may run between 25 and 40% of the time ... temperature and usage dependant ....

SO, let's do some maths ....

25% of a 12 hour stop over = 3 hours run time. Thus 3 x 2,5 = 7,5A.h.

On the face of it this should not be a problem ....

BUT, how good is the battery ? Older batteries are known for bad starting, and wont like this drain .... For a newer deep cycle this wont be any issue.

Also consider the not-so-good situation ...

40% of 12 hours = 5 hours (close enough). And work with a larger fridge : 5A x 5 h = 25A.h ...

Perfectly acceptably draw down for a 100A.h deep cycle battery .... but would a normal cranking battery still be able to start the engine after such a draw-down

It is one of those things where you will get away with it for years .... but best keep a set of jumper leads handy ... and pray there is another vehicle that can assist when your luck do run out.

PS - my uncle camped like this for more than 20 years .... never admitted to needing jumper leads ...

The answer to your question is ? what setting do you have the cutoff set at on the Waeco, there are three settings. If running off the crank I would set it at high.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    The answer to your question is ? what setting do you have the cutoff set at on the Waeco, there are three settings. If running off the crank I would set it at high.
    my waeco does not have the option of those three modes ... I suppose it's an older than most fridge ... hence I asked the question. But thank you for the info all, i'm not planning on doing a trip with the vehicle's battery doing all the work, it was more of an "in case" question.

Thanks.

my waeco does not have the option of those three modes ... I suppose it's an older than most fridge ... hence I asked the question. But thank you for the info all, i'm not planning on doing a trip with the vehicle's battery doing all the work, it was more of an "in case" question.

Thanks.
    It is now possible to buy such a "low voltage cutout" system. Install this inline with the fridge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

How old is your CF 50. I also have and it has the function. It is not just the CFX range that have this. I also have a small 16 L Dometic with the same function
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Thanks.
    How old is it? I was under the impression they all had that setting... When you set the fridge temp... and you cycle through the settings, there's hI...
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    How old is it? I was under the impression they all had that setting... When you set the fridge temp... and you cycle through the settings, there's hI...
    Aaaaaaaahhh okay yes, that worked. I was looking for a "knoppie" where the power cords plug in. (my smaller weaco has the knoppie)

It was set on low, good grieve that would have been a mess had i forgot to unplug it on a trip ...

thank you all for the sound advice.

Must be a fairly new fridge then. The old ones all had that function in the form of a button where the power cords plug in.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Oooooo ... so many assumptions that can be made .....

1) the battery is FULLY charged when you stop
    2) it is a 100A.h batttery ... typically the vehicle battery would be LESS, so adjust as needed ..
    3) most important assumption - let's assume the fridge is down to temperature by the time you stop ....
    4) Let's assume you stop late afternoon, after the heat of the day ....
    5) Let's work with the classic 2,5A average current usage ... many fridges draw more than this !!

Under these conditions the fridge may run between 25 and 40% of the time ... temperature and usage dependant ....

SO, let's do some maths ....

25% of a 12 hour stop over = 3 hours run time. Thus 3 x 2,5 = 7,5A.h.

On the face of it this should not be a problem ....

BUT, how good is the battery ? Older batteries are known for bad starting, and wont like this drain .... For a newer deep cycle this wont be any issue.

Also consider the not-so-good situation ...

40% of 12 hours = 5 hours (close enough). And work with a larger fridge : 5A x 5 h = 25A.h ...

Perfectly acceptably draw down for a 100A.h deep cycle battery .... but would a normal cranking battery still be able to start the engine after such a draw-down

It is one of those things where you will get away with it for years .... but best keep a set of jumper leads handy ... and pray there is another vehicle that can assist when your luck do run out.

PS - my uncle camped like this for more than 20 years .... never admitted to needing jumper leads ...
    Stop your vehicle on a slope front facing down hill in case you need to jump start it. No rooftop tent otherwise you will be sleeping hanging over the bonnet.