Camping south of Groenriviermond

Default Camping south of Groenriviermond

Hi guys

I would just like to quickly confirm that this stretch of land is still available for wild camping?

We are fully self sufficient and everything we take in will come out with us - we have camped there a number of times so we know the area but not been there in the last 2 or 3 years. The last time we were there we noticed that Sanparks appeared to be getting involved south of Groenrivier - stone beacons being erected at some of the turnoffs from the "main" coastal road to some of the sandy paths which runs closer to the beach etc.

We are planning a quick trip up the west coast this weekend and hope to spend a couple of nights in that area - we just don't want to arrive Thursday afternoon to find one now has to book and everything is full...

If anybody who has been there recently can give me a heads up it will be highly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Andre

Discovery 3 V8

Jurgens Xplorer

Default Re: Camping south of Groenriviermond

To my knowledge, yes you can still wild camp there. We were there in April and will again be in mid September......

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanJ View Post
    To my knowledge, yes you can still wild camp there. We were there in April and will again be in mid September......
    Thanks, RiaanJ
    Andre

Discovery 3 V8

Jurgens Xplorer

Herbie, I've just come back from there. How far south of Groenrivier are you talking about? SANParks has now established the Groenriviermond camp ground just south of the Groen itself - that's probably the building activity you saw back then. As far as I could establish, the national park goes south of the Groen for about 4-5 kms to the Groenrivier lighthouse where there's a gate. But why don't you just take a SANP campsite at either Groenriviermond or Delwers?

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Herbie, I've just come back from there. How far south of Groenrivier are you talking about? SANParks has now established the Groenriviermond camp ground just south of the Groen itself - that's probably the building activity you saw back then. As far as I could establish, the national park goes south of the Groen for about 4-5 kms to the Groenrivier lighthouse where there's a gate. But why don't you just take a SANP campsite at either Groenriviermond or Delwers?
    Hi shfish and thanks for the feedback.

The idea is that these few days are totally no bookings - see where we are late afternoon and then find a place for the night. If that happens to be at Sanparks and they have sites available it will be great and we will definately stay there - I just don't want to book and then have to rush to get there instead of just enjoying the drive as it unfolds.

Sounds like the portion south of the gate at Groenrivier is still wild which is perfect - thanks again.
    Andre

Discovery 3 V8

Jurgens Xplorer

South of the gate is still wild. Enjoy

Remember to post photos!
    Last edited by peyperj; 2018/08/07 at 07:47 AM.
    2014 Ford Ranger T6 Wildtrak 3.2 (4x4)
    Tough Dog Suspension, Rhino Bumper, PBE Dual Battery System, Takla Floor Covers, Escape Gear Seat Covers, LED Light Bar, Hytera VHF, Dick Cepek with Cooper ST/Maxx 265/75/R16, National Luna 90L Twin & 55L, Gobi-X Fridge Slide (Next upgrade - Winch, Snorkel, Rock Sliders, Alu or S/Steel Canopy)

2018 Volkswagen Kombi

2019 Metalian Maxi Off-road Trailer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peyperj For This Useful Post:

+1 Still wild.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by herbie View Post
    Hi shfish and thanks for the feedback.

The idea is that these few days are totally no bookings - see where we are late afternoon and then find a place for the night. If that happens to be at Sanparks and they have sites available it will be great and we will definately stay there - I just don't want to book and then have to rush to get there instead of just enjoying the drive as it unfolds.

Sounds like the portion south of the gate at Groenrivier is still wild which is perfect - thanks again.
    Ok, I get you. As mentioned, south of the gate is still wild.
    PS. I think there's a mean cold front approaching the west coast this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Ok, I get you. As mentioned, south of the gate is still wild.
    PS. I think there's a mean cold front approaching the west coast this weekend
    According to YR it is going to be very cold out that way but dry until Sunday - let's hope they are at least reasonable accurate!

We will be armed with a lot of wood and red wine to deal with the cold though!

Thanks again.
    Andre

Discovery 3 V8

Jurgens Xplorer

We might see you on our way to Namakwa NP. I will be on one of the Orra channels...
    Best Regards
    JeanV
    LC76