My own Electric Trailer Brake Controller!

Default My own Electric Trailer Brake Controller!

I have installed electric trailer brakes a couple of years ago on my trailer, and at that time I got a Tekonsha brake controller from a forum member which worked, but had some damage from the casing that melted in the sun.

It served the purpose well, but I wanted something different.

The unit I had was the pendulum type and they are not that great to provide smooth braking prediction and it also only works at speed.

For off road work where one goes slow, the pendulum thing cannot work any more and all that you can do the, is to adjust the gain to provide braking power at slow speed, but there is no modulation.

The real fancy ones works with G-sensors, but IMHO it is only a significant improvement on the pendulum type and hence works great on tar only.

What I wanted is to have a direct input from my brake pedal so that I have brake control that works on brake pedal position.

I have then designed a controller to be simple, but with good configuration and this is what I have:

1. I have two pods, the left one adjust the minimum braking power that the controller will output.

2. The right hand one adjust the maximum braking power and is used when one has and empty trailer.

3. The push button is simply used to calibrate the maximum position that the sensor can sens on the brake pedal.

4. If the brake position sensor is not used, it can work simply as a ramp controller - which many of these controllers are.

The only disadvantage is that the brake pedal sensor is rather expensive and cost more than all the rest and I had to make a fitting to make it fit nicely on the brake pedal frame. I can hardly see that a universal bracket will do it.

I have tested it over the weekend and the brake feel is really great. I now get a trailer that respond in both forward and reverse in perfect predictable modulation.

This controller is only a prototype, and I am not yet sure if the enclosure I have in mind for it, is exactly what I want.

But that it works lekker, there is no question about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-08-06 08.20.38.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	497429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-08-06 08.21.24.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	497430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-08-06 08.21.06.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	497431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-08-06 08.21.02.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	497432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-08-06 08.20.50.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	497433  
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

Default Re: My own Electric Trailer Brake Controller!

I think you need to run a clustered set of boards for redundancy as well as redundant wiring to the trailer.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Default Re: My own Electric Trailer Brake Controller!

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I think you need to run a clustered set of boards for redundancy as well as redundant wiring to the trailer.
    It will be a first in the industry I can assure you.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."