Terios alternator bearings

Default Terios alternator bearings

Hi there

Just thought I might share some handy information regarding alternator bearings on the 1.5 Terios

I bought my Terios with 86 000km on the dial - 2010 4x4 Auto, and noticed a noise at startup in the mornings, and the noise was louder the colder it was, and the longer the car was not driven (cold monday mornings was worst). This noise would then disappear after a few minutes, and re-appear only the next morning at startup, or in winter, at startup when leaving work in the afternoon (cold parking area).

It was the alternator bearings, for which Daihatsu wants R560 for the front, and R442 for the back (6 weeks back order from Japan).

The internet told me its a Denso 973 alternator and listed some sizes which all turned out to be incorrect.

CAELEX in Soutter str Pta had both bearings in stock - for R130

The front bearing is a 3360 (15mm ID, 46mm OD, and 14mm thick.)
    The rear is 6202G (15mm ID, 35mm OD and 9mm thick) - I managed to fit a 15x35x12 (wider which will hopefully last longer) and have the 15x35x9 as a spare

While I was doing all this, I decided to change the V belt. For this Daihatsu (Imperial) wants R1480 !!! I got a RAM 1588 for R300 at Midas (my car has the electric power steering - note that the older power steering pump model has a different length belt).

The toughest part of the job is to get the front nut off the pulley - trust me on this - go to a shop with an air impact drive to remove it in a second. When re-fitting, it has to be torqued to 90 Nm, maybe best to have the same shop refit it with the air impact drive tool again.

I think the vbelt was too tight, when I got the car, I slackened it a bit when I noticed it. I am not used to Denso alternator bearings failing before 100 000km.

Hope it helps someone down the line.

Regards
    Last edited by ArthurB; 2018/08/06 at 09:37 AM.
    '13 Golf TSi DSG
    '10 Daihatsu Terios 4x4 Auto

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurB For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Terios alternator bearings

Thank you for this - I also have a 2010 model with 73k km which has the same symptoms.
    I'll give this a go
    if only life came with a ◄◄ REW ► PLAY ▌▌PAUSE █▌STOP

1994 Toyota Hilux SFA 2.4 D/C - Original
    2010 Diahatsu Terios AWD - Swambo

All bearings have an average life. Small % of them fail early and some last forever.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurB View Post
    Hi there

Just thought I might share some handy information regarding alternator bearings on the 1.5 Terios

I bought my Terios with 86 000km on the dial - 2010 4x4 Auto, and noticed a noise at startup in the mornings, and the noise was louder the colder it was, and the longer the car was not driven (cold monday mornings was worst). This noise would then disappear after a few minutes, and re-appear only the next morning at startup, or in winter, at startup when leaving work in the afternoon (cold parking area).

It was the alternator bearings, for which Daihatsu wants R560 for the front, and R442 for the back (6 weeks back order from Japan).

The internet told me its a Denso 973 alternator and listed some sizes which all turned out to be incorrect.

CAELEX in Soutter str Pta had both bearings in stock - for R130

The front bearing is a 3360 (15mm ID, 46mm OD, and 14mm thick.)
    The rear is 6202G (15mm ID, 35mm OD and 9mm thick) - I managed to fit a 15x35x12 (wider which will hopefully last longer) and have the 15x35x9 as a spare

While I was doing all this, I decided to change the V belt. For this Daihatsu (Imperial) wants R1480 !!! I got a RAM 1588 for R300 at Midas (my car has the electric power steering - note that the older power steering pump model has a different length belt).

The toughest part of the job is to get the front nut off the pulley - trust me on this - go to a shop with an air impact drive to remove it in a second. When re-fitting, it has to be torqued to 90 Nm, maybe best to have the same shop refit it with the air impact drive tool again.

I think the vbelt was too tight, when I got the car, I slackened it a bit when I noticed it. I am not used to Denso alternator bearings failing before 100 000km.

Hope it helps someone down the line.

Regards
    Thanks for sharing your experience. About the noise, what kind of noise was it?

fortunately 6202 is probably the most common bearing on the planet earth. Literally walk into any bearing supply store and they will have one for you at less than R60.
    Any places like Bearing man, timkin, SKF, Bearings international etc.
    Audi S6 2008 - v10 Quattro
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro
    Audi Q5 - 2009 - 3l TDI Qauttro
    Audi 90 Coupe - 1995 - 2.8l V6 quattro
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDi Awd
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)