Blowing hot air

Thread: Blowing hot air

Default Blowing hot air

We’ve all heard the complaints about these small turbocharged engines using a lot more fuel than their spec sheets claims.

My own experience reflects this, a 300km stint with a brand new turbocharged 2 cylinder 875cc Fiat Panda resulted in over 10L/100km from an engine claimed to deliver 4L/100km.
    In comparison, my little naturally aspirated 1L 3 cylinder VW up! which is similarly rated and delivers similar real world performance, refuses to use more than 6L/100km no matter what you do.

I’ve had my suspicions that the reason for this is as much the way you drive as the design of the engine, but this video gives a very nice in depth yet easy to understand explanation.

Kudos to people making videos like this, I find them highly informative and entertaining.

Default Re: Blowing hot air

Huh?

My 1.2 Polo TSI ave between 6.6 and 5.5 l/100km and my 1.0 TSI between 5.8 and 5.2 l/100 Km. (In Pta trafffic! Even less on the open road)
    Pieter
    Fortuner 4x4
    Echo 4

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Huh?

My 1.2 Polo TSI ave between 6.6 and 5.5 l/100km and my 1.0 TSI between 5.8 and 5.2 l/100 Km. (In Pta trafffic! Even less on the open road)
    Have you watched the video?

It explains very nicely why you might get good consumption if you drive conservatively, yet why it can shoot up drastically when you use all the performance.

My Amarok with its 2l TD starts to "suie" as soon as I need to get somewhere in a hurry. Add a surfski on the roof and a head-wind and it becomes quite noticeable. On my commute however, it is nice and well-behaved.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    We’ve all heard the complaints about these small turbocharged engines using a lot more fuel than their spec sheets claims.

My own experience reflects this, a 300km stint with a brand new turbocharged 2 cylinder 875cc Fiat Panda resulted in over 10L/100km from an engine claimed to deliver 4L/100km.
    In comparison, my little naturally aspirated 1L 3 cylinder VW up! which is similarly rated and delivers similar real world performance, refuses to use more than 6L/100km no matter what you do.
    In the same vain. My 4.5EFI Land Cruiser gave 6.2 km/l no matter how I drove!
    I guess the same principles apply.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    In the same vain. My 4.5EFI Land Cruiser gave 6.2 km/l no matter how I drove!
    I guess the same principles apply.
    I think you’ll find you’re not far off with that theory. My TJ was the same.

That's why VW developed stratified injection (FSI) in conjunction with Bosch.

Ie, direct injection allows leaner burns without knock issues. Controlled burn.

Read up on it. Great technology!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

If a turbo is 'on boost' consumption will go up and it is not limited to small cap engines. (It is physics, fuel : air (>>) etc.)
    Pieter
    Fortuner 4x4
    Echo 4

So what the video is showing is that you cannot have high levels of efficiency and high levels of performance at the same time - nothing new. The interplay between these depends on engine technology.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Great technology!
    Uhm ja, debatable (In theory yes, but in the real world?)

(Had an Audi 2.0 TFSI & still own a Golf 2.0 FSI, so I have the T-shirts. I am also not convinced that a catch can is the ultimate solution. Wasn't DI technology primarily developed to meet emission req's?)
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2018/08/02 at 03:12 PM.
    Pieter
    Fortuner 4x4
    Echo 4

(Had an Audi 2.0 TFSI & still own a Golf 2.0 FSI, so I have the T-shirts. I am also not convinced that a catch can is the ultimate solution. Wasn't DI technology primarily developed to meet emission req's?)
    2SO?....Runs and hides...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    Don't need to - you can stay and debate, how will it reach the top of the valves? (As it is a 'vapour' thing)
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2018/08/02 at 03:28 PM.
    Pieter
    Fortuner 4x4
    Echo 4

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    So what the video is showing is that you cannot have high levels of efficiency and high levels of performance at the same time - nothing new. The interplay between these depends on engine technology.
    Except you can. But not in your average turbo petrol engine.

If you watch carefully you'll see how he explains that on these small turbo engines, when you out foot, efficiency takes a nosedive as the mixture is enriched way past the optimum point to control knock, whereas an NA motor will be able to stay closer to the most efficient mixture and thereby deliver similar power with lower fuel consumption.
    Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2018/08/02 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    That's why VW developed stratified injection (FSI) in conjunction with Bosch.

Ie, direct injection allows leaner burns without knock issues. Controlled burn.

Read up on it. Great technology!
    Dirty valves are a real issue...

If a turbo is 'on boost' consumption will go up and it is not limited to small cap engines. (It is physics, fuel : air (>>) etc.)
    I think you'll see the video is more about efficiency than outright consumption. I think the way the guy explained a complex, multidimensional issue is very elegant.

Curiously, some motors employs both direct and indirect injection, like the V6 in my Lexus IS250 of a decade ago. There are more benefits to this than just keeping the valves clean too.

Don't need to - you can stay and debate, how will it reach the top of the valves? (As it is a 'vapour' thing)
    Exactly

It all depends on your commute and driving style.

At full taps a turbo charged engine consumes more fuel than a comparatively powerful NA engine. So if you spend a fair amount of time driving the car relatively hard then yes it will be heavier on fuel than a NA engine. But at small throttle opening it will use less fuel and as a whole the engine should be lighter. There is a crossover point where the small capacity turbo motor is more efficient than the NA motor.
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Even with turbo diesels.

My R5 easily does sub 9.0L/100 when driven sedately.

Be hasty and it does closer to 13L/100km

LoL