Polo Vivo idling weird.

Question Polo Vivo idling weird.

The wife has a 2012 Polo Vivo 1.4 with about 60 000 km on the clock. Very easy kilo's, pulled a light trailer for camping about 4 times or so. We don't do max revs before changing - quite to the contrary, captain slow comes to mind. Anyway - recently we noticed that it has a rough/uneven idle when warmed up. It also takes a bit longer to start (gee so een lang swaai en start dan daarna). It has a full service history at the agents. Plugs was changed 2 weeks ago with no change. Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Polo Vivo idling weird.

Quote Originally Posted by boggom no1 View Post
    The wife has a 2012 Polo Vivo 1.4 with about 60 000 km on the clock. Very easy kilo's, pulled a light trailer for camping about 4 times or so. We don't do max revs before changing - quite to the contrary, captain slow comes to mind. Anyway - recently we noticed that it has a rough/uneven idle when warmed up. It also takes a bit longer to start (gee so een lang swaai en start dan daarna). It has a full service history at the agents. Plugs was changed 2 weeks ago with no change. Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.
    It can be number of things, best would be to get it plugged in for diagnostics.
    How are the cold starts, did you notice fuel consumption change.
    Can be a simple thing like coolant temp sensor or more expensive items such as MAF.
    '03 Discovery II GS TD5

Get any warnings on low coolant?

I had a 1400 Polo. Head started seeping coolant. Slight misfire because of the water in the cylinder. However that was on 129k km, which is also relatively low, but every now and then I'd get a low coolant warning, which I attributed to driving in traffic (expansion)

Another possibility is a dirty throttle body or MAF sensor.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

Thanks guys.
    With the last service they mentioned that the anti-freeze was mixed or something. He didn't want to flush and refill for some or other reason. Could it be related? Best I get it plugged into a diagnostic then. Should I do this at the dealer or would a general diagnostic shop be good?

Also no change in fuel usage. We get 14 kms on a liter in town and up to 17 on open road.
    Last edited by boggom no1; 2018/07/31 at 06:45 PM.