Tyres - legal minimum tread depth in South Africa? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tyres - legal minimum tread depth in South Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by hdreyer View Post
    What tread depth does an assessor consider after the vehicle was in an accident?
    I had an eye opener a few years ago when I was parked next to the road and a motorcyclist overtook on the left and crashed into the back of the Landy. My own insurance company assessor read my whole story, said NOTHING, just took a little measuring device and checked the tread depth of all 5 tyres, yes, including the spare wheel. THEN she checked the rest of the vehicle for faulty lights, handbrake etc. Lucky for me everything was perfect, because the fineprint says that you must maintain your car in safe and roadworthy condition, or your claim may be rejected. Whether the accident was caused by it or not may be besides the point. So, theoretically, if a tree blows over on your car and they find the tyres bald, they may just decide to refuse it. Fairness seems to have little to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    I had an eye opener a few years ago when I was parked next to the road and a motorcyclist overtook on the left and crashed into the back of the Landy. My own insurance company assessor read my whole story, said NOTHING, just took a little measuring device and checked the tread depth of all 5 tyres, yes, including the spare wheel. THEN she checked the rest of the vehicle for faulty lights, handbrake etc. Lucky for me everything was perfect, because the fineprint says that you must maintain your car in safe and roadworthy condition, or your claim may be rejected. Whether the accident was caused by it or not may be besides the point. So, theoretically, if a tree blows over on your car and they find the tyres bald, they may just decide to refuse it. Fairness seems to have little to do with it.
    If the insurance company has a wake up assessor (and it has happened) he'll check the load index and speed rating as well. For example on the Audi A1, the tyre is easy to get , however only two or three manufacturers have the correct speed rating, and some vehicles has to have an XL tyre. Once again, tyre is available everywhere but few manufacturers make the XL. People usually think this is just sales talk, to get them to buy a 'name brand' or more expensive tyre.

So, interesting tidbit. Because of shoulder flaking on the Goodyear Wrangler HP (not dangerous, just ugly) Land Rover (reportedly) issued a bulletin now approving use of the Goodyear Duratrac in the Wranglers place. Load indexes are the same, however...speed rating on the Wrangler HP is V (240km/h) and the Duratrac Q (160km/h)
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (Soon to be my eldest's car)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (SWAMBO's ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    Many moons ago there was an article in a motoring magazine where they tested the stopping distance at various thread depth. I tried Google but only found one similar test. It does not give much info like from which speed, wet or dry, but I think one will get the general picture.

Attachment 496980Attachment 496981
    Wet weather, agree 100%.

However I don't see how reduction in tread depth will increase stopping distances in dry weather. I suspect what you are seeing is rather an indication of tyre age vs stopping distances.

In dry weather all other things being equal, more rubber in contact with the road = more grip hence slick tyres in racing.
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20DET race car

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    Wet weather, agree 100%.

However I don't see how reduction in tread depth will increase stopping distances in dry weather. I suspect what you are seeing is rather an indication of tyre age vs stopping distances.

In dry weather all other things being equal, more rubber in contact with the road = more grip hence slick tyres in racing.
    Correct, ironically enough grooves are ONLY for wet surfaces. 100% slicks gives the best grip in the dry?
    Pieter
    Fortuner 4x4
    Echo 4

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    I'm sorry this is incorrect. I have 465 passenger/light commercial/4x4 tyres in stock and ALL of them has a Tyre Wear Indicator (TWI) indicated on the shoulder of the tyre by either a triangle or TWI

Attachment 496973

Attachment 496974
    I'm not disputing that passenger tyres have them but according to the law they are only taken into account as the minimum tread depth on industrial tyres, unless that is if the TWI on a particular passenger tyre is 1mm.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/08/01 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    I'm not disputing that passenger tyres have them but according to the law they are only taken into account as the minimum tread depth on industrial tyres, unless that is if the TWI on a particular passenger tyre is 1mm.
    Apologies. I misunderstood
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Correct, ironically enough grooves are ONLY for wet surfaces. 100% slicks gives the best grip in the dry?
    100% Correct....unless you wear it further down, metal doesn't give good traction on even dry tar...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

TWI apparently only applies to passenger vehicles and TDI is the term used with industrial tyres.:

This is the explanation of the 1mm minimum used for passenger vehicles vs TDI used for industrial tyres with no tread pattern

National Road Traffic Act and Regulations and other references:

Regulation 212 of the National Road Traffic Act, Act 93 of 1996 states the following:
    212. No person shall operate on a public road–
    j. a motor vehicle–

1. which is fitted with a pneumatic tyre unless such tyre displays throughout, across its breadth and around its entire circumference, a pattern which is clearly visible, and has a tread of at least one millimetre in depth; or
    2. which is fitted with a pneumatic tyre which contains a tyre tread depth indicator, if the tread is level with the tyre tread depth indicator:

[Regulation 212 (j) (i) is applicable, where the tread depth is specified as at least 1mm. Subsection (j)(ii) relates to industrial tyres with no tread pattern. The tread depth indicator, differs from the “tread wear indicator” (TWI). The tread wear indicator is used on passenger tyres and is present inside the main grooves (where the tread depth is measured), to indicate that approximately 1.6mm of tread is still present, when worn to the level of the TWI.]

I try to maximize use of tyres, however, have been caught short before.
    Visited the beautiful Anysberg nature reserve, in the Karoo - [tussen Nerens en Bo##erall] read Laingsberg and Barrydale.
    Requirements stated high clearance vehicle. Should have replaced tyres BEFORE the journey, and not AFTER to maximize useful life of tyres, and ended up with 2 punctures... (and one spare)! The sharp rocks did the damage on the 1.2 mm or so tread that was left.

It is all moot anyway whether it is 1mm or 1.6mm: the average traffic cop will take your license disk if you have reached the TWI across the width of the tyre and you will need to re-roadworthy.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Would I be correct in saying that the minimum tread depth needs to be across the whole tyre? I was always under the impression it had to be minimum 75% width.

On my Achillies tyres.. outer shoulder of tyre when new has less tread depth than the middle of the tyre and on my Jeep this part wears the quickest.
    Last edited by Bartman71; 2018/08/01 at 03:41 PM.
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    It is all moot anyway whether it is 1mm or 1.6mm: the average traffic cop will take your license disk if you have reached the TWI across the width of the tyre and you will need to re-roadworthy.
    Why would they do that?
    If that is the case then you could apply that rationale to just about anything on the vehicle when it comes to clueless cops.

And even if the cop does do that despite the tread being greater than 1mm then the roadworthy test will pass because they will be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman71 View Post
    Would I be correct in saying that the minimum tread depth needs to be across the whole tyre? I was always under the impression it had to be minimum 75% width.

On my Achillies tyres.. outer shoulder of tyre when new has less tread depth than the middle of the tyre and on my Jeep this part wears the quickest.
    Needs to be 1mm across the entire width and circumference of the tyre. I think on the lugs on the very edge of some tyres may be excluded but I'm sure anything that consistently contacts the road surface will be included. It is a bit of a grey area though.

Maybe you are under inflating tyres a little bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman71 View Post
    Would I be correct in saying that the minimum tread depth needs to be across the whole tyre?.
    Yes, the entire width.

So unfortunately if your wheel alignment was out and it chowed the corner away, you replace tyre.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

Why would they do that?
    Just because they can....

They once yanked my trailer disc...because my number plate was faded.

Why would they do that?
    If that is the case then you could apply that rationale to just about anything on the vehicle when it comes to clueless cops.

And even if the cop does do that despite the tread being greater than 1mm then the roadworthy test will pass because they will be legal.

Needs to be 1mm across the entire width and circumference of the tyre. I think on the lugs on the very edge of some tyres may be excluded but I'm sure anything that consistently contacts the road surface will be included. It is a bit of a grey area though.

Maybe you are under inflating tyres a little bit?
    I've been running slightly over inflated to try compensate..... alignment done regularly which has been an issue with air suspension.

Originally went to twt who claimed to know what to do... They had 3 attempts but vehicle still pulled badly to the left. Then w went to Hi Q and they set it on a different air suspension setting and much better.

I think just nature of the beast Jeep GC Overland is heavy on front left shoulder.

I was told whether I use "cheap" Achillies or more expensive tyres I could expect similar mileage. Not sure how true this is. Previous set of Achillies was about 35k km!

Just a question on speed rating mentioned earlier... if our legal max speed is only 120km/hr why should it matter what the rating of the tyre is? 160 or 200 etc shouldn't matter?
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Just because they can....

They once yanked my trailer disc...because my number plate was faded.
    Probably justified, they could legitimately see you were trying to avoid the zillion speed traps in the garden route ;P

The point I was making though is if you are unlucky enough to tangle with an idiot cop you are screwed no matter what, if its not the tyre tread depth then they'll "catch" you out on your faded number plates.

I'm also interested to know why the speed rating of a tyre must match the oem, despite that speed sometimes being significantly over the legal speed limit. Apparently the insurance companies also take that rating very seriously?

Why would they do that?

The actual test here is to drive to a test station with the wear on the TWI and see what they do.

Secondly, the point is then: you have to re-roadworthy, there is no option to appeal once the cop has that disk in his hand. So my question really is: WHAT wear limit do the cops decide is correct, because we seem to be able to debate this for several days without knowing what the stance is of the two authorities that matter. And that is, pun intended, where the rubber hits the road.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Very interesting.

My local tyre dealer has a promotion type information display with some progressively worn tyre specimens mounted indicated percentages of tyre life left against tread depth. It shows the wear indicator depth on that particular tyre as still having 22% 'usable life'.

My second point is that when the tread depth actually equals the TWI, both then wear down together, so that depth will always be equal until all tread is gone.

This leads me to conclude that the 1mm test is the right one.

However, for me, when tread is less than 3mm and there is rain about, it is new tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    I actually heard someone say this at a tyre fitment place

To answer the OP, 1mm is legal. In practice I've never seen a traffic cop measure it.

No BUT the insurance will if you have an accident. And you cant argue with them after the fact

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2