Any preferred sites I should keep in mind whilst negotiating upon arrival
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser 200 V8 4.6 petrol
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto -SWAMBO
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a yourney, enjoy the ride

Default Re: Storms River Mouth - sea view vs no view camp sites

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Is the shop / restaurant rebuilt after the fire?
    Nothing rebuilt yet but shop running and the Cattle Baron is operational out of a smart tent.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Nissan Micra SWAMBO's "Mushroom"
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Thanks again for the map Michael.

Any preferred sites I should keep in mind whilst negotiating upon arrival
    Any of the sea view plots are nice. For those with small kids, sites 30 - 37 are nice since they overlook the pool. It can get busy though for obvious reasons.. Sites 15 - 19 are also very nice sites with 19 probably being the best site of all. Very well protected against wind without compromising the view. I have only been able to secure that spot 3 x over the years but you never know..

We normally book 45, 46 + 47. It appears to be far back but they are sea view sites. The down side is that it is right in front of the rock where the waves explode on impact sending salt rain over them. Sites 68 - 87 are also all nice sites with stunning sea views. Ending up on a non-sea view is also not an issue. There is so much to do so depending on how long your stay is, you will not necessarily spend much time at your campsite.

Even the tent sites 101 - 112 is an option. They do not have power but that is not an issue if you are geared for it. I would negotiate at the gate to find out what is available and then take a drive down to the campsites and see what suits you best before committing. Personally I would gladly take a tent site with no power and a sea view over a non-sea view caravan site.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Guys, we’ve never been to Storms River Mouth rest camp. The only booking I could get for early January is a non-sea view site, 4th to 11th. What are these like, and should I try and upgrade to a sea view site as soon as one becomes available?

I suppose it’ll be quite warm in January. However the sea breeze should provide some relief? Am I correct with this assumption. And should storm straps be required in the non-sea view sites.

Thanks a mill.
    Brat!! What a beautiful place to be. Wish it was me
    (Now) 2013 Triton 2.5 Di-D
    (Sold)2013 VW Amarok Bi-TDi 4Motion
    (Sold)2002 Colt 3.0 V6 DC 4x4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Any of the sea view plots are nice. For those with small kids, sites 30 - 37 are nice since they overlook the pool. It can get busy though for obvious reasons.. Sites 15 - 19 are also very nice sites with 19 probably being the best site of all. Very well protected against wind without compromising the view. I have only been able to secure that spot 3 x over the years but you never know..

We normally book 45, 46 + 47. It appears to be far back but they are sea view sites. The down side is that it is right in front of the rock where the waves explode on impact sending salt rain over them. Sites 68 - 87 are also all nice sites with stunning sea views. Ending up on a non-sea view is also not an issue. There is so much to do so depending on how long your stay is, you will not necessarily spend much time at your campsite.

Even the tent sites 101 - 112 is an option. They do not have power but that is not an issue if you are geared for it. I would negotiate at the gate to find out what is available and then take a drive down to the campsites and see what suits you best before committing. Personally I would gladly take a tent site with no power and a sea view over a non-sea view caravan site.
    Apart from the various hiking routes, beer brewery, restaurant, beach, beer brewery, Van Stadens village, beer brewery .... what would you suggest should be on a to-do list ... sounds like you've been there more than a couple of times

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Apart from the various hiking routes, beer brewery, restaurant, beach, beer brewery, Van Stadens village, beer brewery .... what would you suggest should be on a to-do list ... sounds like you've been there more than a couple of times
    There is actually not too much going on in that area outside the park. I go to charge my batteries so besides my morning jog, I veg as much as possible. The whole area is a haven for cycling..if that is your thing... There are more than one place to go zip line. You can do the claimed, world's highest bungee jump, black water tubing, kayak into the mouth and go further up the river on lilos, snorkel with the fishes. The beach you mention is small so go early if you want a spot to tan. Not my scene really...and besides, if I take off my shirt.. I trip the sun...

You can take a nice slow drive on the Bloukrans pass - there are "closed" signs on the boards but it is open. The locals use it all the time. Drive careful, the EC side is not in good shape. Take your swimsuit with and take a dip in the river at the bottom end of the pass - crystal clear water...and cold... from there you can also take a drive to Natures Valley. We sometimes visit a restaurant there but I forget the name...google is your friend.

There are a few small shops at the Total garage at the Storms River bridge including a Steers for the lazy days. Have a whopper of a burger at Marilyn's restaurant in the Storms River Village.....and guess what is next door to Marilyn's?.... a small beer brewery.... Speak to the owner and Brew Master...he has a wealth of knowledge of the area.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

There is actually not too much going on in that area outside the park. I go to charge my batteries so besides my morning jog, I veg as much as possible. The whole area is a haven for cycling..if that is your thing... There are more than one place to go zip line. You can do the claimed, world's highest bungee jump, black water tubing, kayak into the mouth and go further up the river on lilos, snorkel with the fishes. The beach you mention is small so go early if you want a spot to tan. Not my scene really...and besides, if I take off my shirt.. I trip the sun...

You can take a nice slow drive on the Bloukrans pass - there are "closed" signs on the boards but it is open. The locals use it all the time. Drive careful, the EC side is not in good shape. Take your swimsuit with and take a dip in the river at the bottom end of the pass - crystal clear water...and cold... from there you can also take a drive to Natures Valley. We sometimes visit a restaurant there but I forget the name...google is your friend.

There are a few small shops at the Total garage at the Storms River bridge including a Steers for the lazy days. Have a whopper of a burger at Marilyn's restaurant in the Storms River Village.....and guess what is next door to Marilyn's?.... a small beer brewery.... Speak to the owner and Brew Master...he has a wealth of knowledge of the area.
    thank you, my parents reside in Jbay so we only ever drive through for the day, but next visit to Jbay i'm definitely going camping at Storms for a couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    thank you, my parents reside in Jbay so we only ever drive through for the day, but next visit to Jbay i'm definitely going camping at Storms for a couple of days

Not sure why but I'm drawn to that place.... It all started with my parents going there for our family vacations since the sixties. We have seen a lot of changes over the years. We do off the beaten track places for the rest of the year so packed resorts is not our thing. Storms River is just different in that way in that the noise from the sea drowns all other human noise. If you are on a sea view plot you feel like you are on your own... Enjoy, you will most likely end up going a few times more...
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Guys, we’ve never been to Storms River Mouth rest camp. The only booking I could get for early January is a non-sea view site, 4th to 11th. What are these like, and should I try and upgrade to a sea view site as soon as one becomes available?

I suppose it’ll be quite warm in January. However the sea breeze should provide some relief? Am I correct with this assumption. And should storm straps be required in the non-sea view sites.

Thanks a mill.
    Winds can be strong but with a good tent, camping with a sea view is better in summer than no sea breeze o cool you down. I was there in February a few years ago and being next to the beach was much cooler.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TJ Morkel For This Useful Post:

'Sea View' means front stands, where you have an unobstructed view of the waves, but where the wind and the waves have an unobstructed path to all of your kit. It can POMP there in summer, so we prefer the back sites that are protected.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks a mill.
    The stands right close to the rocks, can get a lot of moderate to strong wind.
    Regards

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ant101 For This Useful Post:

Not sure why but I'm drawn to that place.... It all started with my parents going there for our family vacations since the sixties. We have seen a lot of changes over the years. We do off the beaten track places for the rest of the year so packed resorts is not our thing. Storms River is just different in that way in that the noise from the sea drowns all other human noise. If you are on a sea view plot you feel like you are on your own... Enjoy, you will most likely end up going a few times more...
    There is something special about the place for sure, I have to agree.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ant101 For This Useful Post:

Take snorkling kit with, some very nice spots to go snorkling. There used to be an underwater trail at the start of the Otter, a series of sea pools you could take an easy swim through, all fairly safe, just watch for currents in places. Nice way to introduce small kids to snorkling. We also went snorkling off the coast a few k's along the otter trail, lots to see under the water, even saw a few sea-horses. Just be careful the sea can be quite rough. Beautiful place, if the wind is blowing, go for a hike in the bush, or if you have a kayak, go for a row up the river. You can launch from the beach next to the restaurant. You will want to go back.
    81 XT 500 (project)
    Vitara swb 95 (sold)
    xj 96 4.0 ltd (daily drive)
    kj 04 crd (sold)
    lc120 3.0d

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jeepie2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks a lot Guys for all the valuable info, appreciate!

Like Michael we also like the quiet places mainly during the year, but last year started with a longer stay somewhere at the coast during the December / January break. Stayed 12 days at Port ‘O Call near Port Edward and that did charge the batteries and is a great spot.

Challenge I have is in advance booking, work related not lack of planning.
    Dirk Theron
    BL865 Ratel4

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie2 View Post
    or if you have a kayak, go for a row up the river. You can launch from the beach next to the restaurant. You will want to go back.
    You can try but you will have a few park officials assisting you to move your kayak back onto your roof before you even reach the water..... No unsupervised kayak rides...in other words...if you want to kayak, you need to make use of Untouched Adventures for a guided trip at a cost.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Thanks a mill.
    Just make sure you get the correct invoice--I tried to book there (did stay there previously) for September and quote was 800 per day--Tried to pay via eft then price went up by over 400 --They say it is a base price----So --they will not see me again !!
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 40 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

Challenge I have is in advance booking, work related not lack of planning.
    Slaan nou juis 'n ligte depro. Dit gaan rof by die werk so ek is besig om my booking oor te gee vir 'n vriend. Gaan 1ste keer in oor die 20 jaar wees wat ons nie oor Des / Jan daar gaan wees nie.... Sal maar die "tuin" roete moet doen die jaar....
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sanderson View Post
    Just make sure you get the correct invoice--I tried to book there (did stay there previously) for September and quote was 800 per day--Tried to pay via eft then price went up by over 400 --They say it is a base price----So --they will not see me again !!
    I have booked through Sanparks online, so hopefully should not be an issue. I haven't had any issues with any of my previous booking via the online Sanparks website. Will check in any case, thanks Mark.
    Dirk Theron
    BL865 Ratel4

Slaan nou juis 'n ligte depro. Dit gaan rof by die werk so ek is besig om my booking oor te gee vir 'n vriend. Gaan 1ste keer in oor die 20 jaar wees wat ons nie oor Des / Jan daar gaan wees nie.... Sal maar die "tuin" roete moet doen die jaar....
    dis baie jammer Michael. Ek is dalk in dieselfde boot, maar probeer nog die water uithou
    Dirk Theron
    BL865 Ratel4

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2