Help spec a 4x4 motorhome

Default Help spec a 4x4 motorhome

I am busy designing a motorhome to be built on an Iveco Daily 4x4 extended chassis.
    We plan to do long trips (6 - 24 months) starting in SA then Namibia , Botswana, East Africa and perhaps even up to Ethiopia depending how things go

There are a few optional extras that I would appreciate some input through your experiences.
    Is it worth getting any of these installed and any comments?
    Inverter
    Water filtration system
    Skylights
    Air conditioner - roof mounted
    Microwave
    TV/decoder/satelite dish
    Air suspension (I was thinking of installing on the rear axle)
    Outside shower

Hoist system on the back for motorbike (I'm thinking of getting a cheap Chinese bike to take with?)
    Are bicycles a better option?

Please can you give input into some of the options that I will be specifying?
    3 x 100W Reimo flexi solar panels
    100Lt water tank
    90Lt second diesel tank
    Reverse camera
    Roll out awning 4m
    7.5 lt air tank, compressor
    Fridge & Freezer (what is the best options for these)

Appreciate any feedback

Default Re: Help spec a 4x4 motorhome

Congrats on your next adventure!. See comments below inline for what works for us:

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I am busy designing a motorhome to be built on an Iveco Daily 4x4 extended chassis.
    We plan to do long trips (6 - 24 months) starting in SA then Namibia , Botswana, East Africa and perhaps even up to Ethiopia depending how things go

There are a few optional extras that I would appreciate some input through your experiences.
    Is it worth getting any of these installed and any comments?
    Inverter Yes. It gives you more options. You never know whether you will need 220V in the future or not, and it is only a very small percentage cost to your total build cost. Most of my toys and chargers run off 5V or 12V, but I added a 1600VA inverter, which has come in useful a few times already. We have 3 x 120AHr LC batteries.
    Water filtration system I added 3 x 10" cartridge filters. Nothing fancy. Am using a 10micron, 0.2 micron and a carbon filter, on the input side of the tanks. This filters well enough for showering, washing and cooking. Where necessary, we boil water for drinking.
    Skylights Definitely - great for ventilation and light. Most have mozzie screens.
    Air conditioner - roof mounted A roof mounted version works better than an under-counter unit. We installed the latter to keep our COG low. Have not used it in anger yet, and can only realistically use it in powered camp sites, as it will deplete your batteries in no time.
    Microwave Depends on you. It can be handy. We did not bother. We never needed one to date on camping trips and it would have taken up valuable space. But with your extended chassis you have more than enough space.
    TV/decoder/satelite dish Again, your decision. We were going to to watch the odd test match while in the bush. But have decided against it. Reading books when bored does it for us. Plus, you need space for the dish antenna - mounting it on the high roof exposes it to damage from low hanging branches.
    Air suspension (I was thinking of installing on the rear axle) Definitely, especially with your extended chassis. Both front and back. It improves the ride and stability, and makes levelling your camper a breeze without having to use rocks and loges to level your vehicle.
    Outside shower We have an internal shower, but use a bucket shower system instead, with a pressure pump attached. I have not found one shower heater system where you have perfect water temperature from the word go. The bucket system provides you with perfect temperature from the word go and saves most water. We carry a foldup bucket for outside showers. If privacy is needed, we shower inside.

Hoist system on the back for motorbike (I'm thinking of getting a cheap Chinese bike to take with?)
    Are bicycles a better option? Still toying with this. Might get Ebikes - lighter and easier to get across borders without licence issues.

Please can you give input into some of the options that I will be specifying?
    3 x 100W Reimo flexi solar panels Flexi solar panels are huge. I'm not familiar with them, but know that many guys in Australia had electrical connection issues with flexible panels glued to their roofs. 300W will be sufficient. I installed 4 x 150W fixed panels, which give me enough charge, even when parked in shade. They are so cheap now, go for the max you can fit on your roof - you can't have too much power on tap. I'm busy remounting mine, as 2 were not working - the bodybuilder sparky did a hash job connecting the panels, and I had burnt PV terminals. That's how I know that 300W will do. They were not enough in the shade though.
    100Lt water tank We have 3 tanks with 275l total. I will convert the one 75l tank into a diesel tank. 100l is fine if you stay within easy reach of clean water, but venturing further afield you might want to consider upping this.
    90Lt second diesel tank Depends where you want to go. The main tank is only 90l and will give you 500 to 650km range on the open range and 400 to 550km off-road. I have a 110l aux, and want to increase this to 185l by converting the one 75l water tank. 90l would definitely be too little for us.
    Reverse camera It helps. I have one and have not installed it yet. Grew up driving trucks, so am not stressed by the lack of not having one at the moment.
    Roll out awning 4m Yes
    7.5 lt air tank, compressor Yes. I have a small 7 litre VI Air tank and twin head ARB compressor to manage my airbags. It is fantastic for pumping up your tyres. After having used it , it has migrated from a nice-to-have option to a must-have. The small tank is enough. A bigger tank will help fill maybe one tyre, and thereafter you are relying on the compressor. So having a bigger tank has no real benefit, unless you fit an air hungry airhorn which you want to blow often.
    Fridge & Freezer (what is the best options for these) I use my old 40l Egel as a freezer, and have an upright converted 90l 220V Snomaster freezer as a 12V fridge. It works really well. The verdict is still out on it's longevity. It's a pleasure to use with the 3 pull-out drawers. Scratching around in the chest fridges is a thing of the past.

Appreciate any feedback

Thanks Mikeml! I will definitely take into consideration all that you have said.
    Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed answers and opinions.

Washing machine. 5 kg min.
    Happy wife....happy life.

Makes long trips a breeze.

12VDC Water pressure pump?

Velcro attachable sides for the awning?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    12VDC Water pressure pump? ....
    Definitely. I have 2 pumps - one to fill the tanks through filters. The source can be a hosepipe, bucket, river etc. The other is a pressure pump. You can plumb it so that you only need one pump for this, but I opted for redundancy by having 2.

Name:  2018-07-29 10.53.57.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  82.1 KB
    Last edited by mikeml; 2018/07/29 at 11:08 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post: