Routing in KTP: what am I doing wrong ?

Default Routing in KTP: what am I doing wrong ?

Trying to make the route for our November holiday in KTP (BW side). But it is a nightmare ! When going from Sesatswa to Lesholoago I have to route "direct route" .. I never noticed it before. Look what Mapsource makes of it if I user "auto routing":
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-07-24 17-32-13.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	264.5 KB 
ID:	496162
    So I have to drive some 300 kms to cover a 10 km stretch ... ?

I must be doing something very wrong. No avoidance's set up. With "direct routing" I have to mark every straight part .. painstaking ! There is a track there.

Default Re: Routing in KTP: what am I doing wrong ?

Something to do with tiles overlapping or something. But I'm no expert.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by wschulte View Post
    Trying to make the route for our November holiday in KTP (BW side). But it is a nightmare ! When going from Sesatswa to Lesholoago I have to route "direct route" .. I never noticed it before. Look what Mapsource makes of it if I user "auto routing":

I must be doing something very wrong. No avoidance's set up. With "direct routing" I have to mark every straight part .. painstaking ! There is a track there.
    I have the same problem trying to make routes in northern Namibia! Terribly frustrating!🤯🤯🤯

I picked up a number of issues like this when planning a trip last year...I think one broken link was close to Kazangula Border post. Also try routing to Jeffreys Bay caravan park....

Anyhoooo, why don't you rather post on Tracks4Africa group (Google groups)? I'm sure Lizette Swart will reply promptly.

Etienne

I took a quick look. See if you reverse your travel direction. It looks like it might be one of those one way travel direction routes. Routing seems to be working fine when you travel in a north western direction at the broken point of your route.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	496229
    Last edited by Daniek; 2018/07/25 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks guys. I am researching more, with thanks to Daniek for his idea. But it works out a bit different for me. Routing from KTLOS02 to KTSES01 (blue route) is 333 km. Going the other way round (KTSES01 to KTLOS02, pink route) is only 207 km.

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-07-25 16-59-37.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	496286
    But still the most obvious route is not chosen.

@erduplessis: I just signed in for that. Waiting for a response and I will post it there.
    @jelo: I think it has more to do with the inherent properties of the different tracks/route on the map. In that respect I think indeed that T4A can shed some light on this.
    @Daniek: inverting the routes, leads to the same results as going straight. So inverting the blue route has the pink route as result and vice versa.
    Last edited by wschulte; 2018/07/25 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks guys. I am researching more, with thanks to Daniek for his idea. But it works out a bit different for me. Routing from KTLOS02 to KTSES01 (blue route) is 333 km. Going the other way round (KTSES01 to KTLOS02, pink route) is only 207 km.

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-07-25 16-59-37.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	496286
    the routes, leads to the same results as going straight. So inverting the blue route has the pink route as result and vice versa.
    Are your route preference set to shorter time or shorter distance? Being a 4x4 track rather than a gravel road, might have a big influence time wise. If it is set for time, you can always add a point on the middle track to force your route on the track.

I don't understand how you ended up with the necessity to go from Sesatswe to Leshoalago? Technically you cannot, as Sesatswe is the second night stop on the 3 night pre-booked Polentswa wilderness trail. You are not supposed to leave the trail except after your last night at Lang Rambuka. You can also not just 'duck' into Sesatswe from the north, you have to start your first night at Polentswa. Did you book and pay for the Polentswa wilderness trial? Also you need to be 2 vehicles at least.

Maybe that is why the routing is confused.

Just note there is another campsite called Sizatswe, on the way to Swartpan.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/07/26 at 09:14 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I don't understand why you need to go from Sesatswe to Leshoalago? Technically you cannot, as Sesatswe is the second night stop on the 3 night pre-booked Polentswa wilderness trail. You are not supposed to leave the trail except after your last night at Lang Rambuka. You can also not just 'duck' into Sesatswe from the north, you have to start your first night at Polentswa.

Maybe that is why the routing is confused.

Just note there is another campsite called Sizatswe, on the way to Swartpan.
    I was a bit confused by lekhubu as I was aware of the Sizatswa site. So I reread the reservations I made 2 years ago with Botswana footprints and now I understand. I asked for Sesatswa and in our first mails I saw it changed to Sezatswa with the remark "not on the trail"); I am afraid I totally overlooked that . My research then revealed that the route can be done from east to west but not the other way round. To confuse things more, in the final invoice there is clearly stated Sizatswa. Our planning then was to go from Losoloaga to Sesatswa and undecided which route to take, just leaving it on the moment. But a little mishap then made us leave right away from Losoloago, so we never found out.

Thanks to lekhubu I am spared more confusion and I will rethink the route there. But I am still making it up and will not come to make reservation yet.

Still it doesn't explain the difference going the same route in reverse ... unless one of the routes is only one-way ... but I know the cut line route isn't one-way, so why it comes up with the route over Nossob (which is way longer) I don't understand.

@Daniek: the preference was for short route in both cases.

So .. tried a bit more. Taking lekhubu's remarks into account I routed from KTSIZ01 to KTLOS02 takes the cutline (blue route), but going the other way round (KTLOS02 to KTSIZ01, pink route) takes the route that seems the most logical ! This looks like the route is (partly) one-way and that starting on the one-way part confused the routing ...

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-07-26 09-18-12.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	496324
    Last edited by wschulte; 2018/07/26 at 09:23 AM.

The purple route is not an official route, highly overgrown and usually the gate staff will tell you not to use it. To get from the Kaa region to Mabua or vice versa, you either have to leave the park and follow the cutline (blue) or alternatively go back to Nossob and go via the Motopi sites on the southernly two way access route.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Thanks lekhubu. I am reconsidering this part of our trip completely. Just see what comes of it.

My problem is solved and as usual .. it was a combination of settings. First of all .. indeed daniek was right: direction. On part of the route one track is one-direction and i tried to travel in the wrong direction .
    The other important thing I was struggling with in several other routes to is road preference. The window never sowed up complete (some labels were clipped) but it is important:

Name:	Screenshot at 2018-08-09 08-06-12.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	497907
    The right hand label should read "Prefer major roads". Playing with the slider made my live a lot more easy, with thanks to the google groups community. Hope this helps others too.