Scary recovery - think Bots Pans

Default Scary recovery - think Bots Pans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8trkgFX6wI

Scary how easily things can go SERIOUSLT wrong!!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Default Re: Scary recovery - think Bots Pans

Hi Peter;

This is the oaks that play around in the Aussie Outback - not in Botswana.

But again an example of what can very easily happen if you do not pay attention during a "simple" recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinj View Post
    Hi Peter;

This is the oaks that play around in the Aussie Outback - not in Botswana.

But again an example of what can very easily happen if you do not pay attention during a "simple" recovery.
    Oh you misunderstand my comment.
    I KNOW it is not in Bots - but a similar problem there with the relatively thin hard crust over the bottomless mud underneath!
    At least we don't have the incoming tide to worry about - but if the vehicle slowly sinks through the crust I guess the result is the same or worse.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

"There is not a mark on it"

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Was in australia. Def not botswana
    O▮▮▮▮▮O

Frightening how easily that Cruiser just fell onto its side.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Frightening how easily that Cruiser just fell onto its side.
    Not really, that thing is packed to the hilt, and high, the ground was off camber, and he was not pulling straight. The strap and the off camber both pulling that LC in the same direction.

They were getting desperate, and things just got the best of them. I think we have all been there. I did some stoopid stuff the day I ended up nipple deep in a river. Only when I was standing on the bullbar hanging into engine bay, I realised the recovery strap was hooked around the cross bar of the bullbar instead of the recovery point. To be honest, I can't remember who attached what, I just saw a F250 on the bank, my son swam out his window, I was also through my window and standing on the bonnet at one stage, and the next moment I was on dry land.

I suppose it does not matter how much experience you think you have, sometime or another, a situation will come along that will overwhelm you.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Yes I agree, thinking how loaded that poor cruiser was. A combination of factors and you are in big trouble.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Take it from a guy who has been stuck on the Sau Pan in Botswana..
    Not fun if you're not well prepared. Yes, I know, Rookie mistake.

We got stuck on the Sau pan back in 2016.
    Took us over 8 hours to get all the vehicles out.
    We were all pretty new to the whole Botswana scene, and pretty fresh into the whole overlanding game. Entertaining game I might add.
    We attempted to drive via the Sau Pan from Lekhubu Island to Nata via the A32.
    Needless to say. DONT.... If you have a winch(we didnt) and some mad recovery skills, maybe. Otherwise. I repeat.... DONT.
    Or atleast get more information about the Pans condition from more than one source, and not the local guide that sits in a office that probably has never even seen the place!

But we survived, had a crap ton of fun, learned alot!!!!! and I will probably attempt it again... One day....
    For this sunset, it was well worth it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160910-WA0046.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	496736

In that same trip we did a piece of the Moremi.
    We completed the Kgalagadi and the Central Kalahari this year, and 2019 we'll finish the Moremi, then off to Namibia and upwards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2282.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	496735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160912-WA0003.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	496737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2276.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	496738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160910-WA0041.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	496739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160910-WA0055.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	496740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160910-WA0053.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	496741  
    Last edited by Flipoff94; 2018/07/30 at 10:26 AM. Reason: More info
    Die Groen Monster kom weer!

--1998 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.0L V6
    Sy klink so stout soos wat sy lyk. - She might be thirsty, but damn, the smiles per mile is worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8trkgFX6wI

Scary how easily things can go SERIOUSLT wrong!!

Real stupid recovery against all basic rules of physics.

Got out of Chobe mud more than once with Prado and without help of another vehicle.

1. Stop wheels turning instantly when you observe you are "on end of track". Avoid spinning that body does not rest on mud
    2. Take shovel and clear tracks behind all wheels, since there is no way forward
    3. Take your firewood and fill tracks backward both on front and rear wheels
    3. Start reversing out to a dry or stable spot that you select before reversing.
    Heavy work, duration 2 hours.
    Better and less destructive than what those stupid guys present here in Australia. They just f...k up material.
    Hajo

Landcruiser Prado 3.0 TD Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by johan65 View Post
    Was in australia. Def not botswana
    As replied to martinJ, above:

I KNOW it is not in Bots - but a similar problem there with the relatively thin hard crust over the bottomless mud underneath!
    At least we don't have the incoming tide to worry about - but if the vehicle slowly sinks through the crust I guess the result is the same or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    As replied to martinJ, above:

Def not in Botswana , Australia

Sorry , I just had to ............

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartho For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: Scary recovery - think Bots Pans

Quote Originally Posted by Hajo View Post
    Real stupid recovery against all basic rules of physics.

Got out of Chobe mud more than once with Prado and without help of another vehicle.

1. Stop wheels turning instantly when you observe you are "on end of track". Avoid spinning that body does not rest on mud
    2. Take shovel and clear tracks behind all wheels, since there is no way forward
    3. Take your firewood and fill tracks backward both on front and rear wheels
    3. Start reversing out to a dry or stable spot that you select before reversing.
    Heavy work, duration 2 hours.
    Better and less destructive than what those stupid guys present here in Australia. They just f...k up material.

I thought it was an excellent "how not to" training video . . . but I would rather take your excellent advice! The critical first point you make is not to spin yourself deeper; but you have to very observant and disciplined to get the timing right.
    PedroD

Toyota Prado TX 3.0D & Bush Lapa Boskriek

Maybe a bit of knowledge about geography + common sense would have helped.

Look at the still from the video:

1. The terrain is virtually flat.
    2. The 'soil' is (permeable) sandy silt.
    3. There is no well-defined water-course, so logic says the water table is just below the surface -> everything is wet to the point of saturation.

It does not take a rocket-scientist to realise they could (and would) break through the surface into the saturated sandy silt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 401 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post

3. There is no well-defined water-course, so logic says the water table is just below the surface -> everything is wet to the point of saturation.

It does not take a rocket-scientist to realise they could (and would) break through the surface into the saturated sandy silt.
    I recall the guys saying that they had been across many times on the day and successfully so. The incoming tide may have triggered the softening conditions. Will watch again. Quite good fun and learning experience though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post

Thanks for the wishes. I do not often take part in comments but this story is typical of what gives 4x4 travellers in our neighbouring countries such a bad name and partly the reason why we now have to go on guided trips through Chobi, Savuti ect. I find it a great shame that people can mess up natural beautiful places like that. Shame on you

Quote Originally Posted by Atoyot View Post
    Thanks for the wishes. I do not often take part in comments but this story is typical of what gives 4x4 travellers in our neighbouring countries such a bad name and partly the reason why we now have to go on guided trips through Chobi, Savuti ect. I find it a great shame that people can mess up natural beautiful places like that. Shame on you
    Ja . Bloody aussies..... how dare they get stuck in their own country.....

I enjoy watching offroad fails on Youtube. Seems like the most prevalent factors for a proper fail are:
    1. Not deflating tyres and trying to use speed to make up for that
    2. Seriously underestimating water and mud depth and trying to make use of speed/too much juice (resulting in spinning) to make up for that
    3. Scary recovery "techniques", often incorporating too much juice/spinning tyres
    4. Coolboxes falling out of rolling vehicles
    5. Ramping over dunes and hills and crashing spectacularly on the other side, slowing down at the top of the obstacle doesn't seem to come to mind
    6. Going down steep obstacles too fast then stomping on the brakes and flipping over
    7. Too much juice on a steep incline and flipping over backwards
    8. Too much juice with full lockers engaged and breaking sideshafts

Speed/juice really seems to play a big role. It is mostly only on the South African videos where drivers seem to tackle obstacles with proper speed and control. Maybe it is because our vehicles are so hellishly expensive?
    Defender 2.8i

Prick your finger it is done the moon has now eclipsed the sun the angel has spread its wings the time has come for bitter things

The pans in Bots need different tactics for different times of the year. Sometimes there is a need for momentum to speed across a wet and soft patch. It is usually drier near the islands and shoreline and wet in between and is shortish you can heart stoppingly cross the purpley grey spooky stuff.

Also the wet clay coats the tyres and that causes slipping - a sustained blip on the throttle can chuck off the clay. Very scary as well though.

We use to drive across parts of the pans, on normal tracks, in the summer months. Had more courage than brains in those days though. Learnt a lot though. Unless you had other vehicles to winch you back and they were close enough, you could get by. No trees or rocks anywhere near the pan edges though.

A friend who ran a panel shop in Kempton showed me once a pic of a corroded 4x4 rental Brits vehicle that had broken through the crust and had sunk below the muck. Had been recovered months later and was being scrapped and sold to someone to repair at considerable risk.