Freelander II Freelander 2 pdc/park assist not working

Default Freelander 2 pdc/park assist not working

Hi all. A bit of advice needed please. I've barely had my freelander (2007 TD4 HSE) for 3 weeks and couldn't put up with the dinosaur of an entertainment unit that it has as standard. I've taken it to an audio place where they have fitted an aftermarket pioneer double din unit with a rear view camera. They had to bypass the amp and rewire the speakers as it was all fibre optics stuff (why!?). As a result I had to sacrifice the steering audio controls (not such a big thing for me) but the sound quality is actually much better than before (without the amp). Problem is, the pdc doesn't work! I'm being told that the pdc did not work through the old radio system, but now it's as if it's not there at all. No sound comes on when reversing (normally a beep) and the button on the dash still lights up and switches off when pressed. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Default Re: Freelander 2 pdc/park assist not working

go to a different fitment centre
    they have cut into the wrong wires
    many many cars run fibre and not just for sound
    and if you chose your components carefully you can still keep the steering wheel controls - its not rocket science - they probably sold you the wrong stuff or forgot to add in the adapters

Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    go to a different fitment centre
    they have cut into the wrong wires
    many many cars run fibre and not just for sound
    and if you chose your components carefully you can still keep the steering wheel controls - its not rocket science - they probably sold you the wrong stuff or forgot to add in the adapters
    Thanks for the reply. I may have to take it to a different fitment center if they can't fix it. I see aftermarket pdc fitment being advertised from R500 upwards on Gumtree (for 4 sensors), so hoping to avoid it. They did mention the adapter for the steering wheel controls, but said it would be about R5500-00. I would rather just reach across to the radio for that much money. Incidentally, they were the 2nd fitment center to quote that much for the steering wheel adapter. Hope they didn't cut the wrong wires.

Certain vehicles have systems that are totally integrated no matter how unrelated they may seem...meaning all electronics are integrated and rely on each other. As soon as one component is altered from the original design that the alteration must compensate for the original design.

Most top of the line aftermarket entertainment upgrades will plug and play into your existing system.
    But then you should be willing to spend in excess of R5k.
    By example...my Mercedes has an aftermaket unit available that integrates with the existing CANBUS system to maintain all and every functionality.

My suggestion would be to search for a compatible aftermaket unit that can integrate into the LR system.

Any idea where I can find something compatible with the hse fibre optics? As a last resort.

a quick google gives loads of options - seems most freelander 2 has an alpine radio as its oem unit - steering wheel controls are available for way way less than 5.5k more like 500 rand for alpine steering wheel adapters units
    the rear PDC probably is complaining as it sent the audio through the OEM radio

having a look around the uk freelander forum - it seems this is 100% doable and loads of people have posted there success - some use some type of adapter to keep the fibre, others get the right aftermarket kit others parallel the two systems and jam some extra components in under the dash or extend some wires and relocate stuff so the car has all its oem bits in place just relocated - bodgy but can then be done cost effectively

The Alpine system in the first gen FL2 HSE's is actually pretty decent in terms of sound, for the era at least. But yes like others said, it's a completely integrated unit which makes upgrading tricky. The later Meridian system in the post 2013 FL2 is epic, but I don't think it's an option to change because I understand the later FL2's also has a completely different electrical system.

Ideally you should have upgraded to a plug and play system, once you start cutting wires you're likely to cause other problems.

I think the fitment center messed up a bit, they should have advised you differently.

Cut your losses, try and get some kind of refund from them and go to someone better.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Damage has been done already when installing the new system. I'll send them the link to the freel forum and see if they can do some homework by browsing that site. Ive already lost the steering wheel audio controls and thinking of the worst case scenario, I may just have to cut my losses and go to a different fitment center to get the pdc working again (even if it runs parallel to the audio system (possibly a semi reinstall as most of the hardware and wiring is already there). I'll update this thread next weekend and when all is complete so hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes.
    Last edited by RJay; 2018/07/22 at 03:42 PM.