Winch Cable/Rope replacement

Default Winch Cable/Rope replacement

Hi Guys,

I am servicing my winch this weekend... I also want to replace my steel cable with a synthetic rope and I found this (attachment) from Southern Ropes.

They supply at 8mm Super12 R26 ex VAT/m or 10mm Super12 R37 ex VAT/m. R 250 to splice a hook in.

Is this the same type of rope everyone is using? According to them "a lot of the 4x4 guys are using it" Are you?

Pricing make a lot of sense compered to the "regular" suppliers...

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best Regards
    LC76

Default Re: Winch Cable/Rope replacement

I know a few of the well known brands that purchase from them...
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

So I stripped the winch out of the bumper (had to remove the bumper!) to try and fix it and found 1 wire corroded of the remote socket. I replaced this with a new one and the winch works 100%. Me, Google and Youtube stripped the whole thing and cleaned it out. It is amazing how much shite was inside the gearbox side. I had to use some sandpaper and steel wool to remove the rust. Luckily nothing was jammed. Repacked the whole thing with some fancy marine grease...

I battled a bit to get everything back together, but the winch is now 100% "new".

I replaced the cable with the rope from Southern Ropes and the rollers with a fairlead from 4x4Direct. All-in-all (grease, plug, rope, fairlead) it cost about R1800 for this.

And I will most probably not need it...

Regards
    Last edited by Jeanv; 2018/07/26 at 08:41 AM.
    Best Regards
    LC76

The rope sounds identical to the 10mm dyneema that is standard on the Runva winches like the one I have. Thanks for the heads up, never know when you need replacement
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanv View Post
    So I stripped the winch out of the bumper (had to remove the bumper!) to try and fix it and found 1 wire corroded of the remote socket. I replaced this with a new one and the winch works 100%. Me, Google and Youtube stripped the whole thing and cleaned it out. It is amazing how much shite was inside the gearbox side. I had to use some sandpaper and steel wool to remove the rust. Luckily nothing was jammed. Repacked the whole thing with some fancy marine grease...

I battled a bit to get everything back together, but the winch is now 100% "new".

I replaced the cable with the rope from Southern Ropes and the rollers with a fairlead from 4x4Direct. All-in-all (grease, plug, rope, fairlead) it cost about R1800 for this.

And I will most probably not need it...

Regards
    Just a note: I generally apply grease to the planetary gears and similar, but use a bit of machine oil on the clutch mechanism (ie: where you lock or free the hub).

This is as per the service manual for my winch.

Apparently, the mechanism is a little sensitive to the lubricant used. Grease, which is thicker than machine oil, might cause the mechanism to "stick" at some point. Just bear that in mind if the winch starts battling to engage / disengage.

Nicely done, otherwise.
    Last edited by iandvl; 2018/07/26 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Just a note: I generally apply grease to the planetary gears and similar, but use a bit of machine oil on the clutch mechanism (ie: where you lock or free the hub).

This is as per the service manual for my winch.

Apparently, the mechanism is a little sensitive to the lubricant used. Grease, which is thicker than machine oil, might cause the mechanism to "stick" at some point. Just bear that in mind if the winch starts battling to engage / disengage.

Nicely done, otherwise.
    No oil, only grease. Taking that bumper of again is not happening soon! I will wait until a crowbar will not engage or disengage the winch and then think about it.....
    Best Regards
    LC76

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanv For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanv View Post
    No oil, only grease. Taking that bumper of again is not happening soon! I will wait until a crowbar will not engage or disengage the winch and then think about it.....
    It is a lot of schlep removing the bumper, I was not suggesting you redo anything now... In other words, I hear you...

Just bear it in mind if you service the winch again at some point, or if it does start sticking...

Jean, what brand of winch is it?
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 SOLD
    2006 LR Defender 110 TD5 SOLD
    1999 LR Defender 110 2.8 SOLD
    1983 Nissan Sani 3.0 SOLD
    1975 LR Series 2 LWB Pick-up SOLD
    1966 LR Series 2 SWB SOLD
    Platcars don't count on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post