Stop the benoni coal mines - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Stop the benoni coal mines

Let me share another petition that 'worked'..

The Bunny Park in Benoni. A group of individuals decided that the animals were sick and living in poor conditions. They petitioned and in short, won. Their efforts resulted in:

1. The bunny park closing down
    2. 2000 bunnies fed to animals in Jhb Zoo
    3. R300k spent on sterilising bunnies and relocating them.
    4. Metro running out of funds to sterilise more.
    5. R10m odd budget they approved and spent around R3.7m on phase one have been wasted.
    6. The bunny park is still closed for the public - a year and a half after it closed down with no end in sight. All the funds and efforts are now null and void.

It is a prime spot in Benoni, I would just build a new housing development in the area..

This is just one example, I for one think petitions are started by people with no knowledge of what they are petitioning against.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

dbl post
    Last edited by Slowones; 2018/07/20 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    But VERY relevant.

Do you think the initial investors who have long since moved on are concerned about AMD or the shareholder price?

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Poep teen die donderweer.

Owls dont create jobs, feed eskom, boost GDP, pad politicians' wallets.
    Fixed.

PS. The OP should consider punctuation lessons. Paragraphs would have allowed me to read more than the first 3 lines.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    Fixed.

PS. The OP should consider punctuation lessons. Paragraphs would have allowed me to read more than the first 3 lines.
    I only got to the owls.....

Oh, another shocking coal field to keep on the watch list.....Groenfontein coal fields. 28,000ha viljoenskroon, bothaville, vierfontein area..... big agri land will be lost.

Signed the petition.

This will have an impact on future investment in the area. We need to stop them from even prospecting in the area.

Some of the comments on this post is quite interesting, it seems some believe your lifestyle choices are imposed on you, and others don't seem to realize big things comes from a single, simple decision to take action. I have been following some anti-single-use plastic campaigns which have gained enormous momentum in two years, everyday people who decided this is wrong and I am changing it, even if it means discomfort to me. If you are still in the 'modern economics' mindset, consumerism has made you her bitch and be prepared to work your butt off for her.
    *** Removed ***

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Exactly, you need to qualify to get a signature on that petition.

To qualify you cut water and power to your house, throw away you’re cellphone and walk to work.

If you can’t do that you are a major hypocrite. The old “not on my doorstep” syndrome. That list of fauna and flora is so arbitrary and common it occurs in a few million hectares of countryside almost anywhere in the country.

Same as fracking. I will stand up and listen to anyone that rides a bicycle from Cape Town to the Karoo to attend a protest meeting.

Till then you have fuel and electricity polluting my city, now it’s your chance.
    So why stop this
    https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...ramme-20181006

GP0214
    Freddie W
    ORRA AG25
    2006 Toyota Prado. EFS,Frontrunner RR,RTT,
    2010 Mahindra Thar (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by T 4 2 View Post
    Technical support to minimize the damage. That's responsible.

In my mind you need to qualify to be able to stand up and be heard on these issues.

As per my original post - show me your green credentials and I will sit up and listen, till then you are a major hypocrite blowing bubbles.

PS : That's a collective you, including me and 99.999% of the population, not a personal you.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Technical support to minimize the damage. That's responsible.

In my mind you need to qualify to be able to stand up and be heard on these issues.

As per my original post - show me your green credentials and I will sit up and listen, till then you are a major hypocrite blowing bubbles.

PS : That's a collective you, including me and 99.999% of the population, not a personal you.
    I understand the point you are making here.

However what should be done if it has been proven time after time that the people who is asked to stand up and be heard here
    Have vested interest in it happening?

It is always very easy to say that the people who have all the info and who have experience with something should be the only ones making the decisions for everyone.

But that does not always come across where the best decision is always made
    Because it seems that in so many cases those people decide that certain negatives is Ok
    Which seem to come in when they aren't the ones having to be affected by these negative portions

In certain ways the same things applies here that applies to your beloved E-toll system

If people who is against this does not stand up now you will probably be one of those who later shouts out that if they were against it then they should have stood up early before everything was done and agreed upon
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    I understand the point you are making here.

However what should be done if it has been proven time after time that the people who is asked to stand up and be heard here
    Have vested interest in it happening?

It is always very easy to say that the people who have all the info and who have experience with something should be the only ones making the decisions for everyone.

But that does not always come across where the best decision is always made
    Because it seems that in so many cases those people decide that certain negatives is Ok
    Which seem to come in when they aren't the ones having to be affected by these negative portions

In certain ways the same things applies here that applies to your beloved E-toll system

If people who is against this does not stand up now you will probably be one of those who later shouts out that if they were against it then they should have stood up early before everything was done and agreed upon
    To be able to stand up and be heard you don't need to be an expert. You should rather be automatically excluded if you are a hypocrite.

So don't come and tell me to stop mining marble in Rustenburg when you have a Rustenberg Black Marble kitchen top.

I just love it when I see delegates using the worst polluting machine (Commercial airliner) known to man to get to an International Summit on World Global Warning.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

I just love it when I see delegates using the worst polluting machine (Commercial airliner) known to man to get to an International Summit on World Global Warning.
    Indeed, but there are no alternatives for fast intercontinental travel.

In this day and age, surely a mega tele-conference would be more appropriate?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Indeed, but there are no alternatives for fast intercontinental travel.

In this day and age, surely a mega tele-conference would be more appropriate?
    Quite, I’m just pushing a few buttons to see how people think.

Some things, like air travel remain problematic. While we are stuck with them I think one of the only solutions is to offset the damage you do.

As for a mega-teleconference, there is something called a Webinar where everybody logs into a website and you hold a seminar. Very popular in engineering circles. I get several invites a week, but none of the topics for discussion has interested me so far.

Interestingly, with air travel, one of the biggest gains which we can get is from stricter luggage weight limits.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/10/08 at 01:09 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

To be able to stand up and be heard you don't need to be an expert. You should rather be automatically excluded if you are a hypocrite.

So don't come and tell me to stop mining marble in Rustenburg when you have a Rustenberg Black Marble kitchen top.

I agree that you should not do that if you are someone who specifically uses the items like the marble top

However when it comes to electricity allot of the current options weren't really easily available 50 years ago

I do not think you can throw someone who used government supplied electricity but do not like coal powered power stations
    In the same boat as the person who buys a marble kitchen counter and then complains about mining for it.

In the majority of cases the people in SA cannot on their own afford to go "off grid" with their electrical supply.
    But that does not mean that the people should stay silent about being opposed to coal powered stations

I also understand the current situation where this might be necessary to do this anyway.
    However comments and opposition to the idea should be taken into account and addressed properly before hand.

And I do think they should actually be welcomed so that all sides can be addressed
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2018/10/08 at 01:36 PM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

As for a mega-teleconference, there is something called a Webinar where everybody logs into a website and you hold a seminar. Very popular in engineering circles. I get several invites a week, but none of the topics for discussion has interested me so far.
    I understand what a webinar is, but when delegates need to discuss and debate, a teleconference is better. We all use site-to-site teleconferencing for video meetings: this could be expanded to a parliament sized venue with proper camera crews zooming in on candidates and delegates as they have their speaking turn.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

GP0214
    Freddie W
    ORRA AG25
    2006 Toyota Prado. EFS,Frontrunner RR,RTT,
    2010 Mahindra Thar (Sold)

Stopping using electricity will put an end to that. Until then we are hypocrites.

Did you look at where that piece of land is. That piece of land/nature is not exactly in the wilderness, it is gob smack in the middle of the cess pool called Gauteng.

These things can be intelligently and successfully managed. You don't manage it by wasting peoples time distributing emotive junk with a list of fauna and flora that is abundant all over the country anyway.

Europe does pretty well with renewables. Not working too well in Zambia right now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2