Stop the benoni coal mines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stop the benoni coal mines

Please sign the petition on the link below:The following also calls this home:5 X Species of Owl, i.e. Grass Owl, Marsh Owl, Barn Owl, Spotted Eagle Owl & the White faced Scops Owl.Secretary Birds and numerous other Birds of Prey.Numerous other species of birds, i.e. Ibis, Plover, Thick Knee, Crake, and other grasslands species.Blue Crane, Spoonbill, Flamingo, Heron species and numerous other water bird species.Aardvark, Black-backed Jackal, Bush Pig, Caracal, Genet, Serval, Porcupine, Hedgehog, 3 X species of Mongoose, Steenbok, Duiker, Three Striped Field Mice, Rock Rat, Mole Rat and numerous other mammals.At least 2 species of lesser Baboon Spiders.4 X Species of Scorpions.At least 18 species of snakes and another 13 species of lizards.10 Species of indigenous Orchids with at least 1 species being rare.And the list continues.Most if not all of the remaining areas around the earmarked area, have already been either developed, or cleared for development. If this area is destroyed all of the fauna and flora mentioned, within and directly adjacent to this area will be destroyed too.https://www.gopetition.com/petitions...coal-mine.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coal mine 1.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	495666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coal mine 2.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	495667  
    Last edited by Dirk; 2018/07/19 at 01:24 PM.
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT
    BOMVU
    LANDROVER DISCO 3 G4
    OEM BASH PLATE
    OEM REAR LADDER
    G4 DECALS
    OEM ROOF RACK
    SNORKEL
    DECATTED & EGR BLANK OFFS
    TORQ TUNED BY BABEN
    HOWLINGMOON STAR GAZERrtt
    MAXXIS MUDS
    FRONT RUNNER DRAW SYSTEM
    FRONT RUNNER REAR WHEEL CARRIER
    DISCOEAST RODS
    CONQERUER COMPACT (coming soon)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarge For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Stop the benoni coal mines

They don't even have a prospecting license yet, relax.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    They don't even have a prospecting license yet, relax.
    Nothing wrong with showing your opposition early on!!!

GP0214
    Freddie W
    ORRA AG25
    2006 Toyota Prado. EFS,Frontrunner RR,RTT,
    2010 Mahindra Thar (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by T 4 2 View Post
    Nothing wrong with showing your opposition early on!!!
    Poep teen die donderweer.

Owls dont create jobs, feed eskom, boost GDP.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Poep teen die donderweer.

Owls dont create jobs, feed eskom, boost GDP.
    Exactly, you need to qualify to get a signature on that petition.

To qualify you cut water and power to your house, throw away you’re cellphone and walk to work.

If you can’t do that you are a major hypocrite. The old “not on my doorstep” syndrome. That list of fauna and flora is so arbitrary and common it occurs in a few million hectares of countryside almost anywhere in the country.

Same as fracking. I will stand up and listen to anyone that rides a bicycle from Cape Town to the Karoo to attend a protest meeting.

Till then you have fuel and electricity polluting my city, now it’s your chance.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Friends in the mining sector looking for work ....

Some owl I have never heard of before ...

Sadly we cant have it both ways ! We have HUGE unemployment in the mining sector....

okay, off to the firing range with me ....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Friends in the mining sector looking for work ....

Some owl I have never heard of before ...

Sadly we cant have it both ways ! We have HUGE unemployment in the mining sector....

okay, off to the firing range with me ....
    Meet me there. You watch my back I’ll ....
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Exactly, you need to qualify to get a signature on that petition.

To qualify you cut water and power to your house, throw away you’re cellphone and walk to work.

If you can’t do that you are a major hypocrite. The old “not on my doorstep” syndrome. That list of fauna and flora is so arbitrary and common it occurs in a few million hectares of countryside almost anywhere in the country.

Same as fracking. I will stand up and listen to anyone that rides a bicycle from Cape Town to the Karoo to attend a protest meeting.

Till then you have fuel and electricity polluting my city, now it’s your chance.

And so we slowely but surely and piece by piece destroy nature in the interest of prosperity till there is nothing left

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2beFree For This Useful Post:

Petition signed, I live just down the road in Marister, scary to say the least
    Cruiser 76 V8
    Disco 4 XS

Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    And so we slowely but surely and piece by piece destroy nature in the interest of prosperity till there is nothing left
    Not in the interest of prosperity, but in the up keep with the demands of humanity.

Just remember your lifestyle is fueled by fossil fuels, unfortunately.

Basics of economics, demand, asks for supply.

The Witbank coal fields are slowly being depleted. And that is why mining areas are being expanded.

The next sad coal rush is the waterberg coal seam. Appreciate the bushveld around Ellisras while you can. Thousands of Ha already drilled and brought past the point of prospecting with proven reserve status.
    Last edited by carlp; 2018/07/20 at 07:47 AM.

I wonder where all these anti miners would be, if there was no mining..

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Stopping using electricity will put an end to that. Until then we are hypocrites.

Did you look at where that piece of land is. That piece of land/nature is not exactly in the wilderness, it is gob smack in the middle of the cess pool called Gauteng.

These things can be intelligently and successfully managed. You don't manage it by wasting peoples time distributing emotive junk with a list of fauna and flora that is abundant all over the country anyway.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Did you look at where that piece of land is. That piece of land/nature is not exactly in the wilderness, it is gob smack in the middle of the cess pool called Gauteng.

And not far from some settlements either.

So I wonder if the same petitions against destruction of habitat of fairly common birds and wildlife (if the are any left by now anyway), are going to be flying around if land grabbers take over that piece of earth?

At least when the mine is depleted, the land can be recovered and restored. This is becoming big business in the mining industry. Look at all the old mine dumps in the south of JHB.

Not wanting to sound callous toward nature, BUT having had more than a week long complete power outage and endless intermittent power interruptions on the cards for months still to come, I have a somewhat different view of living without electricity on a permanent basis. Yet there are people who live their entire lives without electricity, jobs, a house, heating, water or any form of fulfilling of basic needs.

As with many other issues that can turn emotional very quickly, one has to find the balance somewhere.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/07/20 at 08:23 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

You should take a drive up though the rural areas of Northen Natal, the area between Swaziland and Kosi bay.

There are no mines... But there is no nature either

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Stopping using electricity will put an end to that. Until then we are hypocrites.

These things can be intelligently and successfully managed. You don't manage it by wasting peoples time distributing emotive junk with a list of fauna and flora that is abundant all over the country anyway.

Why mine coal when there are other (cleaner) means for generating electricity.

it is cheap and all our power stations are coal fired

If you want renewable, expect to pay double or more.

If you want nuclear, is that any better than a coal field in Bapsfontein/Delmas?
    Percivamus

The petition appeal is not about the coal mine or 'dirty' electricity as such (as I read it anyway), but the destruction of the habitat of certain species by developing a coal mine on that specific land. Bringing animals into something can always be counted on for generating emotion.

Sure build a nuclear reactor there. But the effect of habitat loss will still be exactly the same.

Interestingly the petition say 'Most if not all of the remaining areas around the earmarked area, have already been either developed, or cleared for development.' How many of the listed animals are still in the area in significant numbers anyway? Things like the buck is probably already poached to zero. It is not a pristine wilderness area by any means.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/07/20 at 09:23 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

23. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Going to wade in, the fauna and flora are the least of the worries for an open cast mine. The argument will be that the area is already developed and the loss of the mining area will have a negligible effect on the overall picture of animals.

When low grade coal comes into contact with water, you get acid (sulphuric). Just in case, you need to get through the low grade coal to get the high grade coal the power stations use. So the first issue is water pollution. All coal mines have a standard response to treating AMD. Go read the EMP's of the coal mines already in operation. Then ask for the water data to actually show how effective the EMP is in mitigating this impact. Then ask the greenies for the real data. And then go read the EMP's of mines already closed and see how effective the EMP has been in "restoring" back to the natural environment. And dont forget to look at how long it took. Because the last time I checked, most investors had made their money and gone overseas while the long term effects of the mine still remain for the locals to deal with.

Make sure you know the difference between surface water pollution impacts and ground water impacts. And these will be polluted. That is a fact. There is not a coal mine that has not impacted the water in a negative way. Oh and dont forget to ask what they are going to do with water infiltrating into the pit and the effect the dewatering will have on the surrounding boreholes. Ask them who paid for the geohydrological study and what modelling systems they are using. The mine will act as a sink, from how far will the water act as a source and how far will surrounding boreholes be contaminated. The mine will underplay this, the greenies will overplay this.

Then consider the increase in traffic. How many trucks will be popping in and out. Who is going to maintain those roads? Will the tar surface be looked after by government or the mine? Will the trucks be driving past your house day and night? Will the school kids be safe going to and from school?

Then consider constant blasting and ground vibration and damage to homes (Cant tell from the picture how close they are).

Right, now you have loads and loads and loads of dust, sand dust and coal dust all blowing around happily in the breeze. As they transport stuff around. Dont forget, coal dust mixed with water makes acid. Ask them how they are going to prevent dust getting everywhere (usual response is they use water to suppress dust, remember the acid?) And how long will the dumps (thos big heaps of sand) be exposed?

Should a fire start underground, how are they going to deal with it? Use water ? Dont forget that little acronym ....AMD. Just ask anyone around Witbank about AMD and underground fires.

Then ask how will the house and land prices be affected? I mean who wants to love next to a polluting mine? (socio economic impacts)

Now, look at the positives of the mine .... coal to keep us happy. Investors getting returns, more government taxes. The mine operators will tell you the miners will rent houses and buy stuff and that the mine will improve the socio economic activities of the area. You have been to Welkom right?

How long will the mine be in operation? Who is going to put down the rehabilitation deposit? How much is the deposit?

So now you have to sit, will the positive impacts of the mine outweigh the negatives of the mine. Easy peasy when you need the electricity but dont haver to live next to it.

EDIT:
    (helps to read the petition first, thanks Lekhubu)
    I see this is still the prospecting phase, but the points still remain valid.

How are they going to prospect?

Drill or dig pits?
    Last edited by Slowones; 2018/07/20 at 10:00 AM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slowones For This Useful Post:

Have a look at the disastrous impact of mining on the community of Ogies.

There was a recent insert on Carte Blanche on the impact of mining in Ogies.
    But also this:
    http://www.bench-marks.org.za/press/...nvironment.pdf

https://cer.org.za/wp-content/upload...10-5-final.pdf

The biggest issues - air pollution, water pollution and structural damage to surrounding structures due to blasting etc.

It needs to be kept out of developed areas.
    Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone

I agree that the ground water is always affected, up to 20kms away. Now THAT is a reason why I will sign..........

but this is the prospecting phase and they will be drilling 50m holes, that is all
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast