High left jack vs Air jack

Default High left jack vs Air jack

After the recent post on the new ARB high lift jack and the response the post received I thought I would test the waters.

I recently acquired OME suspension for the Fortuner, which aided in quite a lift. Subsequent to this I now find myself in the market for a new "higher" capability jack (and for due to the fact that the standard OEM one isn't great).

I know that there are many guys that swear by the old-school (red) high lift jacks; whether it be for its looks or capabilities might be a different discussion.

For my application, and for the issue of safety, I have been considering getting an Air jack - Takla has caught my eye (http://www.takla.co.za/products/takla-air-jacks/).

I would like to know, costs aside, hich would be the best and safest solution in my specific application (pretty much stock Fortuner with OME Nitro suspension)?

I welcome your input and the experience you've had with these two jack options. Even more so with those who have owned/used both.

Cheers

--
    Riaan

2014 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4

Default Re: High left jack vs Air jack

I have looked at, handled and watched other people use a high lift jack.

I won't use one, simply for the reason that I am too clumsy. I have an air lift jack and take it with me on trips, I have never had cause to use it, but like all of my gear I have used it in practice and feel confident in what I can or cannot achieve.

I first tried it on my trailer, then went onto a little car and then the 4x4. Mine only works off the exhaust and each time I achieved the lift I wanted and in a controlled manner. If I was to buy again I would buy one that could run off a compressor as well as the exhaust.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Last edited by AboutAfrica; 2018/07/17 at 03:53 PM.
    "Meerkat"
    08' 3.2did Pajero Gls manual -ome, snorkel, some mods.
    06' V6 Colt with some personal touches
    ex - modded Disco2 V8
    ex - modded RRC V8
    ex - modded 130 300tdi
    ex - modded SWB Pajero V6
    ex - modded Mitsu Delica tdi
    ex - Modded DC Hilux 4Y

What's your application? HiLift jacks are for use in recoveries and extractions in extreme offroad and overland situations, for saving lives in an accident, for winching, for de-beading tyres - they are high value tools that have to be used very carefully and by people who know exactly what they are doing. Used in the wrong way, they can be lethal.

Air bag jacks are bulky and pre-suppose that there is space to get the jack under the vehicle, which doesn't always apply when you've eg bogged in cotton mud in Zambia, or dropped into an aardvark hole in Namibia.

The jack I use the most is my bottle jack from Midas. But I have got out of some very bad situations in very remote areas using a HiLift jack.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/07/17 at 05:11 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Riaan, in your position I would buy a Hi-Lift Jack, together with the Wheel Buddy accessory and take a decent course to learn how to use it safely.
    The Wheel Buddy attaches to your wheels and removes the need for special Hi-Lift Jack jacking points or special bumpers.

However if you do not intend exploring the road less traveled there is no need for either of the two jacks.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com OR http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Riaan - together with the Hi Lift Jack Buddy I would suggest a folding jack stand to lower the wheel onto in order to change the wheel.
    To get the extra height with a spacer kit on my Suzuki GV I carry a block of wood and place it under the baseplate of the standard jack.
    For stability the block of wood has a larger footprint than the baseplate.

Simplest solution I could find.
    Brian Coleman
    2002 Hilux Raider 2,7i S/C 4x4 + Canopy Caravan
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara Dune 2,4 M/T + Challenger Nomad 4x4 Trailer