Itinerary: Jhb - KTP - CKGR - Maun - Kasane - Kubu island - Jhb

Default Itinerary: Jhb - KTP - CKGR - Maun - Kasane - Kubu island - Jhb

Hi folks, I have read a lot of info on this forum already to plan my trip to Botswana next summer but have a few questions, can you help?
    Here is the itinerary I'm thinking about and approximate drive time/day. Is that more or less accurate?

I'm thinking this might be too rushed and maybe to cancel the central kalahari part of the trip to have more time in the other parts. what do you think?
    I find the price of camping in kalahari for foreigners (40usd/night) a bit expensive which is why I prefer to stay longer in KTP (which I visited in the past and loved). Is it really worth it visiting both parks?
    Same for camping in Moremi and Chobe seems quite expensive and our trip is quite long, which is why we prefer camping in Khwai and Muchenje. Is that still a nice option? Is bush camping possible? (we love nature and of course we will respect the bush etiquette)
    What really needs to be booked in advance and what can we keep flexible? I don't really like having a full itinerary blocked in advance but august being high season I don't want to miss out on good campsites either...

Day 1 03/08/19 Landing in Johannesburg
    Day 2 04/08/19 get our car rentals and drive to Molopo Nature Reserve 7h
    Day 3 05/08/19 drive to Khalagadi park and enter at east gate Mabuasehube sleep at Lesholoago 2 (KT-LOS-02) 1h10min from East Gate or Monamodi 2 (KT-MON-02) 7.4km or 23min from East Gate 6h
    Day 4 06/08/19 drive around Mabuasehube sleep at Khiding 1 (KT-KHI-01) flexible game drive
    Day 5 07/08/19 mabuasehube wilderness trail mosomane bush camp 8h
    Day 6 08/08/19 mabuasehube wilderness trail nossob camp 8h
    Day 7 09/08/19 safari drive : nossob to polentwa Polentswa camp flexible game drive
    Day 8 10/08/19 safari drive: polentswa to Kaa gate
    - is bush camp outside the gate still possible? nice? sleep near kaa (kaa camp or bush camp outside the gate?) 6 hours
    Day 9 11/08/19 Kaa to Kang & go shoping sleep at Kalahari Rest Camp & Lodge near Kang 5-7h
    Day 10 12/08/19 drive the cut off line Kang to Xade gate CKGR (is this still possible in august and is sleeping before the gate a nice option? Bush camp or Xade campsite 5-7h
    Day 11 13/08/19 safari drive in Kalahari piper rest camp
    Day 12 14/08/19 safari drive : Xade to Pipers another camp to recommand between piper and Matswere? 8h
    Day 13 15/08/19 exit Matswere and drive towards Maun (is the cut line still a good option?) East gate camp or Bush camp outside the gate? Or push to Maun (Matswere to Maun = 3h30) 7h
    Day 14 16/08/19 Maun a day at Maun to refill and organise a boat tour the next day 3h to maun
    Day 15 17/08/19 Maun day trip with mororo- is it worth a sleepover on an island or a day trip will be more than enough? camp or bush camp closer to Moremi to recommand?
    Day 16 18/08/19 drive accross Moremi South to north gate I have been recommanded a bush camp in Khwai (S19 14.401' E23 57.143') is that still an option or shall I book a campsite at Magotho Camp? (Khwai Development Trust) do we need to pay a park entry fee/day for Khwai area
    Day 17 19/08/19 Kwai safari drive south or north
    Day 18 20/08/19 safari drive in moremi or south of chobe national park
    stay again near khwai river flexible
    Day 19 21/08/19 Khwai to Muchenje across Chobe Sud chobe sleep at Muchenje Campsite and Cottages ( do we need to pay chobe national park to cross it and stay at Muchenje?) 7-12h drive
    Day 20 22/08/19 Munchenje to Kasane travers Chobe Nord Senyati Safari Camp or big five chobe national park or bushcamp ? S17 47.414' E25 12.354'? 5 h drive?
    Day 21 23/08/19 Day trip to Victoria falls kasane flexible
    Day 22 24/08/19 Day trip to chobe (drive or boat trip) sleep again in kasane flexible
    Day 23 25/08/19 Kasane to elephant sand elephant sand near nata 4h
    Day 24 26/08/19 drive to Kukonje island bush camp on kubu or kukonje island ? 5h
    Day 25 27/08/19 drive south where do you recommand to stay? 9 h
    Day 26 bring back the car/ fly or sleep in johanesburg one more night 2h

Thanks a lot!!!
    Last edited by camille&franck; 2018/07/14 at 08:06 AM. Reason: table not readable

Default Re: Itinerary: Jhb - KTP - CKGR - Maun - Kasane - Kubu island - Jhb

Hi Camille & Frank,

looking at your itinerary, it is a lot of driving. In my opinion you are trying to do too much in 26 days. It is doable, but you will spend long days in your car instead of taking the time of enjoying wildlife and being able to experience Botswana in depth. If I were you I would reconsider and I will give you some possibilities:

1. KTP / Mabuasehube - you can easily spend 5 days here. Mabua is magical, the rest of KTP BW side (Rooiputs / Polentswa / Swartpan / Kaa Area) is worth at least 5 days. And if you would enjoy some extra days at the SA side, you could spend another week

2. CKGR - do not go into CKGR for only 2-3 days. You will miss the real solitude and will drive a lot again. Spend more days there (5-10) or leave it for another trip

3. Delta area - Maun, 1 night, do a flight over the delta. Boat trips can be done from Maun but also from Moremi and Xakanaxa. Moremi, Xakanaxa, Savuti, Ihaha, Khwai area - easily spend 5 - 10 days here. You can also do parts of it f.i. Moremi / Khwai or Ihaha and leave the rest for a next trip.....

4. Kasane / Vic Falls - 2-5 days, depending on the time you would like to spend at the Falls (lots of things to do there). In any cases if you are in Kasane do a Chobe river safari.....

Of course there is much more to do in BW, but I would chose a few from the list above and leave the rest for another trip in future. In 2019 we will go for our 4th trip in BW and we still have not been everywhere......

My 2 cents worth...... enjoy your preparations!

Kind regards, Rik

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rik For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: Itinerary: Jhb - KTP - CKGR - Maun - Kasane - Kubu island - Jhb

Hi Rik,

Thanks a lot for your contribution. I realise it is indeed a lot of driving so I'll cut CKGR this time (which only frees two days on my crazy journey as my friends cant get more than 25 days off... damn) We are used to spend all day in the car when surrounded by wildlife, we are not really the kind of happy campers staying in the shade reading a book when there is so much to see driving around...

I think I'll add one night in KTP (would you recommend to stay one more night in Mabua's side or grootkolt or Kaa's concessions outside the park? all seem so good!) we already visited the South African side of the park, which we loved, but would rather stay in the Botswana side this time (wilder/cheaper). We love cats so if there is an area better for cats, thanks to let me know. We were very lucky last time we visited KTP SA side with plenty of Lions, leopards and cheetas in just 5 days!

Then I'll probably allocate the second day in Maun for the scenic flight or in Khwai/mababe trustwilderness campsties/ Muchenje.

Is wildlife viewing better in Moremi, chobe or KTP in your opinion?

How much really needs to be booked in advance? I hate having the whole itinerary made up in advance. This will be our third trip to Southern Africa (South africa and Namibia mostly). We are usually coming in June during the low season and didn't bother booking much except Etosha/ kruger camps. It went very well in June and we nearly always found a last minute campsite. Will it be the same in August?
    I'm thinking to book solid all my camps in KTP and 4x4 trail a year in advance. In okavango I'm planning to sleep outside the park as being European campsites are 40USD/p which adds up quite quickly on top of park fees... is booking in Maun/Muchenje/mababe area also necessary?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by camille&franck View Post
    Hi Rik,

I think I'll add one night in KTP (would you recommend to stay one more night in Mabua's side or grootkolt or Kaa's concessions outside the park? all seem so good!) If you are in Mabua I would add one day there and try to book Mpaya 1 or 2 campsite

Is wildlife viewing better in Moremi, chobe or KTP in your opinion? Game viewing can be the draw of the day, but is good in all three areas.

How much really needs to be booked in advance? I hate having the whole itinerary made up in advance. This will be our third trip to Southern Africa (South africa and Namibia mostly). We are usually coming in June during the low season and didn't bother booking much except Etosha/ kruger camps. It went very well in June and we nearly always found a last minute campsite. Will it be the same in August?
    I'm thinking to book solid all my camps in KTP and 4x4 trail a year in advance. In okavango I'm planning to sleep outside the park as being European campsites are 40USD/p which adds up quite quickly on top of park fees... is booking in Maun/Muchenje/mababe area also necessary?

You need to book the camps in Mabua / KTP as soon as the bookings open, normally 11 months in advance. Same for Chobe / Moremi / khwai.

Muchenje is a private camp, I have not been there, but ask the owners, they are on the forum too, I guess.

You are right, camping is very expensive for us Europeans, on the other hand you are in the most beautiful parks in Africa, so it is really worthwhile to pay that amount, in my opinion.

Reservations in Maun is somewhat easier, there are a lot of camps over there, but it can be busy in peak seasons.....

Take care!

Cheers!
    see my remarks in red above!

Rik

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rik For This Useful Post:

Hi Camille&Franck,

With adding extra days, I would recommend when you get to Mabuasehube side that you camp at Mpayathutlwa camp. I prefer number 2 first, then number one. We have had cats in this camp on every trip. Mabuasehube is also a small area, so i will say no need to move around camps on this side. Set up at Mpaya and spend 2/3 nights there at least. You can easy do a day drive to the other pans and areas that side. But book Mpayathutlwa - You won't be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by camille&franck View Post
    Hi Rik,

Thanks a lot for your contribution. I realise it is indeed a lot of driving so I'll cut CKGR this time (which only frees two days on my crazy journey as my friends cant get more than 25 days off... damn) We are used to spend all day in the car when surrounded by wildlife, we are not really the kind of happy campers staying in the shade reading a book when there is so much to see driving around...

I think I'll add one night in KTP (would you recommend to stay one more night in Mabua's side or grootkolt or Kaa's concessions outside the park? all seem so good!) we already visited the South African side of the park, which we loved, but would rather stay in the Botswana side this time (wilder/cheaper). We love cats so if there is an area better for cats, thanks to let me know. We were very lucky last time we visited KTP SA side with plenty of Lions, leopards and cheetas in just 5 days!

Then I'll probably allocate the second day in Maun for the scenic flight or in Khwai/mababe trustwilderness campsties/ Muchenje.

Is wildlife viewing better in Moremi, chobe or KTP in your opinion?

Cheers!
    2017 Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto