Building Maintenance Cost

Default Building Maintenance Cost

Can someone please give me approximate figures for the following, using a good quality paint of cause.

- Building exterior painting /mē
    - Building interior painting /mē
    - Tiling /mē

I need to do some work (lots of work) maintenance on my FIL house and have got now idea how to budget to do it? I need to decide (budget) what we are in for before I start the work.

I need to:

- Paint the house inside and out
    - Remove old tiles/carpet and tile the complete house
    - Do some work in the kitchen, new sink taps, paint cupboards ...
    - Water proof/damp proof shower walls and fit new shower ext.

Thank you.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Default Re: Building Maintenance Cost

From two different projects - both small two bedroomed town houses ( roughly 75m2)

Paint - Clean, treat hairline cracks, prep, paint ... quality paint, single colour outside, tripple colour scheme on the inside
    Outside - R25k
    Inside - R27k

One project had a small tiling job, pushing up the price per m2 .... ended just short of R 1 000/m2. The tiles were low cost units from CTM.

On the other project a LOT more tiles were used and the m2 rate came down a bit.

Was scary to see how much the tile cement, grouting adhesion products etc added .....

shower doors were R3k, with most costing way more. That is material excluding installation costs ....

Taps is another thing which could be "cheap" or incredibly expensive !

The above rates may apply for a decent budget finish. If mommy has specific tastes the costs could easily run away !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF For This Useful Post:

If this is for Wartburg, which is in the "middle of nowhere" then any price from bigger towns is out. You really have to get local prices for labor. You can calculate the cost by using conservative spread rates on paints. If I paint myself a room and it is relatively empty:
    - No color change = 2 coats = one day
    - Color change = 3 coats = one and half days
    - People smoking = min 3 coats for the ceiling

(I am lazy painter )

Bathroom
    You really have to price separately:
    - Each item like shower doors, toilet seat, all taps... (I buy ISCA or Builders brand, which is ISCA. 12 year warranty and well priced. Buy imported and sky is the limit)
    - Tiling
    - Painting
    - Sealing the floors and walls (There have been good discussions how to do)

Outside painting
    I have had the house painted using daily rate and contract price. Having a good painter the daily rate becomes less but may take a bit more time. Contract prices given have been from reasonable to absolutely sky high. Do you need a contractor who has ladders etc or do you have them...

I have cottage pane windows and there is a lot of them. Totally different job compared to standard windows. If putty has to be fixed = add on cost

Tiling
    Cheapest is if you can find a good tiling team and you buy the materials. Large labor price differences based on where the house is. Tile prices go from OK to "I steal your money". Can you transport couple tons and do you have time to supervise... We have always bought the materials, transported and used man from the street. I had only once minor issue doing this. If you let the contractor to buy the tiles he keeps the substantial discount. If you buy you keep the discount.

Contractors can get easily upto 30% discounts on list prices and they charge you the list price. Some items are 40%

I had my house painted inside/out, one bathroom total build, 60 m of electric fence, additional paving, garden fixing, very many new lights, alarm fix... This was done 2016 Jan to March. House is quite big in Roodepoort. Total cost under R120 000.00. I bought materials, painting was by contractor and rest by daily rates and we supervised and provided all tools. Painting labor was under R13 000.00 and was a good job. Total cost doesn't include my time or SWAMBO's time. Using contractors only add 50 to 100%.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Chris also speak to your local BuildIt, thet should be able to give you accurate material costs.

You will be doing the work yourself and hired labour?

Without doing a proper cost assessment, I reckon you won't have much change left from R100k.

As ChrisF says, the tiling costs will make your eyes water.

- bonding primer
    - tile cement
    - tiles
    - grout
    - quarter-rounds/skirting

My advice is see what CTM has on special and buy bulk.

We managed to find tiles at around R150/m2. Work on a minimum of around R50 per m2 for adhesive and grout. 20kgs of adhesive handles around 10m2, and ditto for 5kgs of grout. If you are working with uneven substrate, you can double the adhesive, and if the tile gap is large, ditto the grout.

So let's say R200 / m2 for tiling on a minimum budget. A 200m2 house is then R40k MINIMUM.

Paint depends as mentioned on how many coats you need to hide the old paint.

My advice on paint: if going radically DARKER or LIGHTER, first buy a mid-colour of cheaper paint (so if moving from white to dark, buy a medium tint of cheap PVA) and do a base coat with cheap stuff then do your final colour with the good stuff.
    This saves on the expensive stuff which won't need to hide that much of a contrast, and the cheap paint will act as a primer as well.

And rather over-estimate the paint coverage properties on the tin. If they say 30m2, work on 25m2. This might not be an issue if you are going bulk on one colour, but being 300kms from a decent hardware and being 5L short will ruin your day..........

Dulux Weatherguard is a reasonable exterior paint and goes for between R850 and R1500 depending on colour. 1L covers 0.75m2 at BEST for 3 coats.

So a colour change could need 1.5L /m2 or more. So let's say around R45 per L that is around R65 / m2.

A 200m2 house could have over 200m2 of wall surface to cover, so we're talking R15k for paint MINIMUM.

Also: DRIP SHEETS: this can stop the wukkahs screwing up your new tiles..............
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Thank you for all the replies, really appreciated.

Carlp yes, I will be doing most of the work myself, but I can't tile.

I had a figure of 150-200k in mind when I looked at everything, will measure up and use your guide lines.

Thank you.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

I was most impressed with CTM !

You go in, do the walk with the wife, chose your products.

The salesman asks a host of questions, ie are you lifting carpets, etc etc ...

He then offers to add all the extras such as the tile cement, bonding liquids, grout etc to the shopping list. Swipe the card and the purchase is done. Take the slip to your builder and he picks it up a day or a week later when he is ready to tile.

BEST PART - the extra cement, sealed boxes of tiles etc that have not been used can be taken back for a full refund.

Okay, helps that the local CTM is down the road .... probably less so if it is a day drive to get there .....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    From two different projects - both small two bedroomed town houses ( roughly 75m2)

Paint - Clean, treat hairline cracks, prep, paint ... quality paint, single colour outside, tripple colour scheme on the inside
    Outside - R25k
    Inside - R27k

One project had a small tiling job, pushing up the price per m2 .... ended just short of R 1 000/m2. The tiles were low cost units from CTM.

On the other project a LOT more tiles were used and the m2 rate came down a bit.

Was scary to see how much the tile cement, grouting adhesion products etc added .....

shower doors were R3k, with most costing way more. That is material excluding installation costs ....

Taps is another thing which could be "cheap" or incredibly expensive !

The above rates may apply for a decent budget finish. If mommy has specific tastes the costs could easily run away !
    Just checking on paint work. That works outto about R330/sqm?