Travel insurance




Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,335
    Thanked: 869

    Default Travel insurance

    What company offers a decent proper travel insurance without it being an example of trying to rip you off?
    _______________________________________

    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    LC76V8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,566
    Thanked: 1488

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    EuropAssist are excellent.
    If you're on medical aid, check whether or not they cover you - we get three months a year cover through Bonitas.
    Tony Weaver

    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

    Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,335
    Thanked: 869

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    EuropAssist are excellent.
    If you're on medical aid, check whether or not they cover you - we get three months a year cover through Bonitas.
    Thanks Tony.. the Hollard products are just a farce!

    And the banks seem to want to make you poor... very quickly
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2018/07/12 at 05:07 PM.
    _______________________________________

    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    LC76V8

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    59
    Posts
    301
    Thanked: 154

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    Hi Hedgehog,

    If you have a decent medical aid and short term insurance, book and pay for tickets using your credit card, then travel insurance is pretty much over kill in my opinion.

    Roy


    Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

    Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rangeview Krugersdorp
    Age
    68
    Posts
    5,527
    Thanked: 559

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    TIC paid us out in full to the cent for a cancelled , fully paid for, month in Europe.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !



    Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

  7. #6

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by royjacobs View Post
    Hi Hedgehog,

    If you have a decent medical aid and short term insurance, book and pay for tickets using your credit card, then travel insurance is pretty much over kill in my opinion.

    Roy
    It’s a visa requirement for many countries.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,566
    Thanked: 1488

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    It’s a visa requirement for many countries.
    And they don't accept credit card insurance, generally. My daughter just left for Europe and for her German Schengen visa, they wouldn't accept CC - Bonitas issued me with letters addressed to all the necessary embassies within 24 hours of requesting them, very efficient.
    Tony Weaver

    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

    Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:


  11. #8

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    And they don't accept credit card insurance, generally. My daughter just left for Europe and for her German Schengen visa, they wouldn't accept CC - Bonitas issued me with letters addressed to all the necessary embassies within 24 hours of requesting them, very efficient.
    I’m sure there are many options. I’ve always used TIC without hassle.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    53
    Posts
    88
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    Also look at AXA

  13. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    59
    Posts
    301
    Thanked: 154

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    And they don't accept credit card insurance, generally. My daughter just left for Europe and for her German Schengen visa, they wouldn't accept CC - Bonitas issued me with letters addressed to all the necessary embassies within 24 hours of requesting them, very efficient.
    Hi Tony,

    Yes you 100% correct medical aid will issue a foreign travel letter within 5 min if you ask for it. What I meant by CC and Short Term insurance was to cover baggage and personal items which travel agents will try to add as an extra precaution at a ‘minimal fee’ . That’s is what I was referring to as overkill

    Roy


    Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

    Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,335
    Thanked: 869

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    Thanks guys, it seems like my medical aid does not do oversees anything

    So I will need comprehensive insurance..

    I have contacted Discovery, and my bank (Nedbank) although the bank's insurance is also underwritten by Hollard.
    I will also speak to Sanlam also.
    _______________________________________

    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    LC76V8

  15. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    59
    Posts
    301
    Thanked: 154

    Default Re: Travel insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Thanks guys, it seems like my medical aid does not do oversees anything

    So I will need comprehensive insurance..

    I have contacted Discovery, and my bank (Nedbank) although the bank's insurance is also underwritten by Hollard.
    I will also speak to Sanlam also.
    Hi Hedgehog,

    If you are on Discovery medical aid then we will cover you for 90 days abroad

    Letter takes 10 sec to generate just need the dates.

    Roy


    Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

    Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •