Future of caravaning in South Africa - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Future of caravaning in South Africa

Net die rente op n r400000 karavaan is R4000 per maand. So na 10 jaar moet jy R1.32 miljoen kry vir karavaan om gelyk te breek.

Maar ons kamp nie om geld te spaar, ons kamp want dit is lekker.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

With regards to renting a camping trailer/caravan, I would like to weigh in.

I rented for two years, form different suppliers, before buying my own camping trailer.

It was convenient that I did not need to worry about insurance, maintenance or parking.
    But that is where it ended.

This was the main reasons why I bought my own:
    1. Going camping at the spur of the moment is a lot easier when you have a setup and need little to no planning.
    2. Maintenance. On a few occasions we had trailers that had stuff not working. Nothing I can do about it.
    3. Availability of rentals. In season it is near impossible to get a late minute rental. Most companies are booked way in advance.
      Once I wanted to get away in December, but my leave was only approved end of September. Almost no one could help. Eventually got
      right by luck as I called a place just 5 minutes after they had a cancellation. Ended up paying 30% more than I wanted and had to drive
      to Centurion to pick it up. So, planning your rental trip needs quite a few months notice.

I enjoy my camping, my kids enjoy camping, my wife is getting there...
    Jurgen

Thumbs up Re: Future of caravaning in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
    SWAMBO and I used to caravan years ago but gave it up for various reasons. We are retired and have decided to return to caravaning and have just ordered a Gecko Xtreme, delivery in 7 months. Fuel is going to be expensive as we will be towing with our 80 series 4.5 efi auto Land Cruiser, but what the hell, you only live once!
    that's the spirit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Armadillo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pumbalie View Post
    I have been caravaning for the last 30 odd years. We have desided to invest in a nearly new Exclusive which make me think, Is there still a future for caravaning in South Africa? Is it worth spending R400k and think you will get your money back in 10 years time.

If you look at the trouble that the younger people needs to go through to get a EB license, the high cost of towcar and caravans, space at home to park it, high fuel prices? Ci that battles to get there new range of the ground is also a concern.Say for instance ci go bust, will we be able to get spares for the come 10 years.

Your thinking?
    Been camping with my parents since i was little. For 20 years, at least once a year, without exception. Still camping and touring proper with my Afrispoor Cheeta. Touring our country and neighbors as well. Love the lifestyle and that for me is what its about. My biggest concern though is the security threatening camping and campers at some spots. The big, fenced in so called 5star security caravan parks with a large quantity of stands seems to be ok except for some petty crime every now and again. It's however, already not so safe in places where you're on your own or camping with another couple anymore. Do not know how safe it will be in 10 years time.... This unfortunately is the type of camping we prefer rather than the densely populated, large commercial spots. Suppose it's like it is but as far as I'm concerned.... camp we shall camp! Kom wat wil!
    Last edited by Tuatara; 2018/07/16 at 05:36 PM.

We as a family camped since I can remember, before I went to school.
    Tents, pre setup tents and caravan.

My grand parents used to camp, they sent the labourers to set up camp and arrived a day later.
    Big truck and everybody had a ball, I can remember that once my grand mother was the hell in that the guys argued about who will stay at the farm and who will take the camping stuff - they all wanted to go.

When we got married we used the station wagon to sleep in or rented a small caravan.
    Later got our own
    A 5 week trip with a Ford Granada and caravan in 1980 from Cape to Dbn to Jhb coast us R750 - and had to do repairs to the universal on the Granada.

Today that amount will be paid for one night depending where you stay.
    Currently finalizing our trip down to Tweerevieren we found of the neaten track camping spots for two at R250.
    Quite surprised that this is still available.
    We do run a off road caravan and prior a off road trailer (we are totally independent for power, water and ablutions).

Our biggest cost would be diesel as the 3.2 4x4 get a bit thirsty when you push it
    Camping in the future - will do as much as we can before our time runs out (my dad were 90 when they did their last caravan camp).

Our daughter was 6 months old when she went camping first time.
    Our grandson turned 1 on his first camping trip.

We find in the remote places more of the younger crowd, when the first one goes to school they seem to dissipear from the camping arena.

Safety are our biggest concern, we are prepared but would we be able to react/respond fast enough.
    Last edited by Danie S; 2018/07/16 at 09:15 PM.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tuatara View Post
    Suppose it's like it is but as far as I'm concerned.... camp we shall camp! Kom wat wil!
    Amen Swari,

If I may add: Long gone are the days that camping was chosen as the affordable way to holiday.

The choices must much rather echo one’s desire to experience the wild outdoors in a very unique way that you can not find in any other form of accommodation.

Then comes the real cherry on the top. The companionship and bond of brotherhood only found in the camping fraternity. Sharing the journey, exploring roads less traveled and having amazing guys such as as you too share the whole experience is a feast and an awesome privilege.

I guess in a way, it takes us back to we started: in our modern oxwagons exploring - only this time our oppressor we are fleeing is the mad rat race with all the tethered devices that continues to draw us in.

So Kamp is koning. There’s nothing like camping. Lets hit the road to Kgalagadi

Zapiture,
    Paj 3.8i GLS SWB
    Solid Rock Sliders
    Bash plates
    Warn 8000lbs
    EFS suspension
    Nissan Hardbody 4x4
    Conqueror Commander 2014

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    Amen Swari,

If I may add: Long gone are the days that camping was chosen as the affordable way to holiday.

The choices must much rather echo one’s desire to experience the wild outdoors in a very unique way that you can not find in any other form of accommodation.

Then comes the real cherry on the top. The companionship and bond of brotherhood only found in the camping fraternity. Sharing the journey, exploring roads less traveled and having amazing guys such as as you too share the whole experience is a feast and an awesome privilege.

I guess in a way, it takes us back to we started: in our modern oxwagons exploring - only this time our oppressor we are fleeing is the mad rat race with all the tethered devices that continues to draw us in.

You captured the essence of camping perfectly, well said.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gawie Burger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Attachment 495271
    Attachment 495272
    Attachment 495273
    Attachment 495274
    Attachment 495275
    Attachment 495276
    Attachment 495277

Kamptereine duur?
    Kampterein eienaars byt mense uit?

Hulle het verniet gekamp, verniet ge4x4, en verbiet hout gekry.
    En ek het lekker saam gekuier met hulle.

Nie alle kampplekke is uit om julle uit te byt.

Nee wat, kamp is koning, en sal altyd wees.
    En dit was n wonderlike ervaring...

Volgende een is klaar aan die reel.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Amen Swari,

Ditto to Gawie's acknowledgement to you post, cannot agree more. Very well described and I wish we could see all campers join a forum like this and have the same attitude and values, people who will have respect for others and their belongings as well as friendliness and camaraderie. In essence living the Companionship and Brotherhood as stated to the fullest.

Yes for Kgalagadi please .

Long live the caravanning and camping industry as a whole.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser 200 V8 4.6 petrol
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto -SWAMBO
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a yourney, enjoy the ride

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

We are retired and have hopefully bought our last caravan and it needs to last us until we can no longer go away. To us a caravanning is a way of life and with over 32000 campsites to choose from across Europe the world is our oyster. We have travelled to France and Spain, but want to go to Belgium, Switzerland, Italy and Croatia.
    Prices here range from as little as R180 to R750 a night for 2 people. Generally above R500 you have a fully serviced pitch with your own water and drainage and plenty of room for awning and sunshade.
    However we wish we could afford to travel around South Africa with a caravan but sadly when we lived there it was only the south coast with a trailer caravan. Otherwise it was B&Bs as no AirBnB in those days.
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD Ltd Auto chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Amen Swari,

Hey Zap, well said en ja... Kgalagadi next! Can't wait!

Ja party plekke vra R600 n nag om te kamp daar is baie wat dit betaal vir my en die vrou is dit net te veel daar is lekke oorde met nog belike tariewe jy moet net bietjie gaan soek maar ja kamp sal ons kamp

Quote Originally Posted by Boslover View Post
    Ja party plekke vra R600 n nag om te kamp daar is baie wat dit betaal vir my en die vrou is dit net te veel daar is lekke oorde met nog belike tariewe jy moet net bietjie gaan soek maar ja kamp sal ons kamp
    Ek stem saam met jou Boslover

Are there safe places to camp around Gauteng where one does not have neighbours irritating the hell out of you and where you are next to water where you can peacefully have a fishing line in?
    Defender 2.8i

Prick your finger it is done the moon has now eclipsed the sun the angel has spread its wings the time has come for bitter things

Quote Originally Posted by Tuatara View Post
    Hey Zap, well said en ja... Kgalagadi next! Can't wait!
    Bit off topic, but sounds like a group going to Kgalagadi?

Who, when, where?
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Are there safe places to camp around Gauteng where one does not have neighbours irritating the hell out of you and where you are next to water where you can peacefully have a fishing line in?
    Go browse here....
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ts-close-to-GP
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu Fan For This Useful Post:

This rings very true. .

Name:  CF37BCFE-6E39-4742-910F-7C5F5B4748CA.jpeg
Views: 52
Size:  87.3 KB
    Gerhard
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
    Mercedes GLA 2.0 diesel (SWAMBO)
    And a Summit Everest trailer that SWAMBO loves.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5